What went into Greg Harbaugh becoming the Gophers’ offensive play-caller?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Greder:

Fleck prefers his offensive play-caller to double as QBs coach, and Harbaugh’s experience playing quarterback at Averett University, a DIII school in Virginia, also played a role.

“I think playing quarterback gives him a completely different feel,” Fleck said. “Then coaching the tight ends last year and being so connected to (former offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca) when he was (in quality control). He was in that room constantly for a lot of years as a GA or a QC. That is where he spent a lot of his time. … He has a real good feel of pass game and run game.”

Go Gophers!!

Isn't this also a bit of a shared role?

Isn't this also a bit of a shared role?
It is billed as Co-offensive coordinators but the reality is Harbaugh is the guy.
I posted the Eastern Michigan vs the Gophers Coordinators press conference the other day....very interesting.
We have some very bright articulate coaches.

The unknown re our play caller(s) is probably our biggest risk factor for the year. Don’t know that we can take much out of week one — need a bigger sample size.

Per Greder:

Fleck prefers his offensive play-caller to double as QBs coach, and Harbaugh’s experience playing quarterback at Averett University, a DIII school in Virginia, also played a role.

“I think playing quarterback gives him a completely different feel,” Fleck said. “Then coaching the tight ends last year and being so connected to (former offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca) when he was (in quality control). He was in that room constantly for a lot of years as a GA or a QC. That is where he spent a lot of his time. … He has a real good feel of pass game and run game.”

Go Gophers!!
Was Lou holtz a qb ?

Neither Matt Simon nor Brian Callahan will ever be the primary play-caller for PJ Fleck.

Is what it is. They'll be driven away from the program, when/if they want and get that opportunity elsewhere.

You know in poker how the skilled guys have abilities that others don't? Their ability to read your tells seemingly even when you don't have any...calling plays in football is a gift few have.
I don't think PJ believes in the nuanced part like he doesn't believe in momentum.
So, he has his processes and procedures that he's comfortable with. QB background is a sensible thing but you still want the best guy. Maybe Harbaugh is? We won't know any time soon.

I don't know if Harbaugh will be good but he is smart. He is totally invested in the role.

Kirk Ciarocca never actually played QB in college. (No idea if he did in high school.)

Mike Sanford Jr did.

So, we will see what comes of Greg Harbaugh being the play-caller. Obviously we are all rooting for the former over the latter.

Neither Matt Simon nor Brian Callahan will ever be the primary play-caller for PJ Fleck.

Is what it is. They'll be driven away from the program, when/if they want and get that opportunity elsewhere.
I think both are really good coaches and I think PJ does too but he does seem to take both for granted. Actions don't seem to match words in this instance with PJ.
I think Callahan is a top of the heap OL coach.

Sometimes titles are given out to increase a coaches pay, not necessarily their duties. Example being an OL coach getting named run game coordinator. It can help stabilize the coaching staff.

As long as PJ recognizes another Sanford fiasco much much faster than last time. Im okay with it.

The coach has brought is to a level higher than Mason IMO. As long as hes learning from his errors, Im good trusting him on this one.

Kirk Ciarocca never actually played QB in college. (No idea if he did in high school.)

Mike Sanford Jr did.

So, we will see what comes of Greg Harbaugh being the play-caller. Obviously we are all rooting for the former over the latter.
Bobby Petrino, Lincoln Riley, Jamey Chadwell etc did (granted this is all anecdotal). I think there is more signal than noise to being a QB helps to call plays

Top Bottom