What Was the Loudest You've Ever Heard the Barn?

Lights-out intros are done at Wisconsin and Iowa. I think there are no lights-out intros here because the lights take 15 minutes to cool off enough to re-start.
---I don't remember this being the case at all when they've done it for midnight madness. They seemed to light back up pretty quick.

Beating Ohio State to win the Big Ten in 1981-82. I remember Randy Breuer flying out to the corner to block a jumper and the place went nuts.

Impossible! Remember, we have somebody here who is sure Randy Breuer wasn't really athletic and couldn't do anything more than five feet from the basket.

Pretty much any home game in '72. Williams Arena used to seat over 18,000 back then. They often had an overflow crowd watching on closed circuit in the hockey arena. The first B1G game that year was against Indiana and they had a crowd of over 19,000. The Fire Marshal was not amused.

yep (how about the first time we saw George Schauer--what a circus:)

1982 was pretty awesome at the barn too

---I don't remember this being the case at all when they've done it for midnight madness. They seemed to light back up pretty quick.

That's because the main lights don't get turned on until the very start of the scrimmage. Til then, it's all the smaller lights, spotlights, flamethrowers, etc.

Carver-Hawkeye and the Concrete Center both have the hoods that go over the main arc lights.

Wow, easy to see where we lost 4000 seats going away from the benches even though we added the barn lofts. There's hardly room to breathe in there.

Are they really not allowed to turn off the lights during intros anymore?

I don't know what the current rules are but back then they changed the rules so that, on team introductions, that you had to alternate between teams. You could not introduce the visiting team and then introduce the home team.

Wow, easy to see where we lost 4000 seats going away from the benches even though we added the barn lofts. There's hardly room to breathe in there.

Are they really not allowed to turn off the lights during intros anymore?

And people were allowed to smoke. Not sure what year that ended.

I don't know what the current rules are but back then they changed the rules so that, on team introductions, that you had to alternate between teams. You could not introduce the visiting team and then introduce the home team.

This isn't true. I was at the Iowa game in Iowa City last year and they introduced all the Minnesota players first and then shut the lights out and introduced the Hawkeyes.

Exactly. Back then, when you went to the game you weren't expecting to sit back in your easy chair and be on auto-pilot for 2 hours. The 'seat numbers' on the benches were very close together, as if everyone was expected to be 120 Ibs. So when the place was sold out, everyone was literally connected like a big amoeba (you were shoulder to shoulder with your neighbor) and it felt a lot more like you were part of the action. People did way more standing. There was also standing room only and it seemed like they oversold the space for that so people would be hanging out in the entryways, etc.

Top Bottom