What type of coach should we hire as our new OC?

gopher7

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there. What type of coach should we hire as our new OC?

I'm not sure if it matters what we think. Given the recent history with the O-line coach, and the reports coming out of St. Louis that other coaches had been offered the Minnesota OC position, we'll probably see a new coordinator within 48 hours.

Brewster will likely stick with a spread mentality because it helps attract the best athletes. He is adding the power running game because of the mentality it develops along the line and to help in short yardage and red zone situations.

Someone who runs a system similar to Texas, Oregon or one of the Oklahoma schools. Spread with the ability to run and not predictable.

Someone who runs a system similar to Texas.

How about someone who actually runs Texas' system? This guy took a demotion, leaving as Nick Saban's OC at Alabama to return to Texas thinking he'd be the heir apparent to Mack Brown. Now he is not the heir apparent and simply a running backs coach. He obviously already knows Tim Davis as they both were on Saban's staff at Bama. Brewster was the TE coach at TX when he was the QB there. Would this guy choose to become an OC in the Big Ten? That would be Major!

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/applewhite_major00.html

Norm Chow is a name I like

What are the reports out of St. Louis? I haven't seen anything about other coaches being offered can you shed some light on this statement?

How about someone who actually runs Texas' system? This guy took a demotion, leaving as Nick Saban's OC at Alabama to return to Texas thinking he'd be the heir apparent to Mack Brown. Now he is not the heir apparent and simply a running backs coach. He obviously already knows Tim Davis as they both were on Saban's staff at Bama. Brewster was the TE coach at TX when he was the QB there. Would this guy choose to become an OC in the Big Ten? That would be Major!

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/applewhite_major00.html

I just don't see this happening, he is loved in the state of texas and we cannot afford him. I also thought he would be the heir apparent to Mack Brown until the Muschamp deal came, though still don't know how long he will wait around if Mack Brown decides to coach several more years. I see Major sticking around a while to see how that plays out or wait and get a head coaching job in Texas down the line at a school like Texas Tech or A&M when their coaches move on.

Norm Chow new coordinator!

You think Norm Chow will leave UCLA to come to Minnesota? No chance. You gotta find guys who are good, but unemployed, or who are currently looking for that next step up. Chow fits neither category.

I just don't see this happening, he is loved in the state of texas and we cannot afford him. I also thought he would be the heir apparent to Mack Brown until the Muschamp deal came, though still don't know how long he will wait around if Mack Brown decides to coach several more years. I see Major sticking around a while to see how that plays out or wait and get a head coaching job in Texas down the line at a school like Texas Tech or A&M when their coaches move on.

You're probably right. But, moving up from RB coach to an OC has to be attractive to him. He has already had the taste of being an OC. With TX going with someone else as "coach in waiting", maybe he likes the idea of getting the reigns of the offense again. And, there's nothing that says he can't coach here for a few years, have some success and return to Texas or some other school down there. He will be more attractive to other schools as a successful OC in a BCS Conference than he will as a RB coach. Plus, the experience of running his own offense is probably more valuable to him in his development as a coach.

I don't know who will be hired but I know what I'd like to see. I’d like to see a spread based offense that integrates power running options for goal line/short yardage situations and for shaking things up (I like the 3-running back set). I’d also like to see more of David Pittman passing after being lined up next to the quarterback (so the defense has 2 passers to key on instead of 1) and more deep pass routes. They could put Weber and Gray in the backfield together with Pittman in motion (yes, they do have the personnel to have three talented passers on the field at once, two of which have wide receiver speed. Weber's no turtle, either...that's three passers who could also be receivers for the defense to track at once). Defenses would be dizzy and confused. Basically, let’s keep the defense frustrated and tentative with many different looks and precise execution of plays a la Boise State.

You know the possibility of getting Major Applewhite as our new OC is not too far fetched. He is not the heir apperent to Brown and will be making more money if he moved to MN. Plus everyone knows where Brew was yesterday, at the Texas-OSU game. Interesting?

What about Davis? I'm not saying I think he is the best choice, but I could see Brew giving him the job, maybe that's why he left Alabama?

Plus Major Applewhite is a kickass name.

Davis = disaster! No spread experience.

I agree, we already have a head coach learning on the the job we don't need an OC doing the same as well. Davis may be a fine OL coach but he has not been a coordinator yet and I think now is the time that the gophers need a proven coordinator who can come in and hit the ground running.

Because Texas has and will use whatever money is necessary to keep the guys they want.

You mean like they did when Tim Brewster wanted to go be a TE coach at San Diego? Or, when Gene Chizik left for ISU? Or Greg Robinson left for Syracuse?

When there's professional advancement to be made, sometimes a guy just might want to leave.

Not saying Major to MN will happen, but not saying it is impossible, either.

You mean like they did when Tim Brewster wanted to go be a TE coach at San Diego? Or, when Gene Chizik left for ISU? Or Greg Robinson left for Syracuse?

When there's professional advancement to be made, sometimes a guy just might want to leave.

Not saying Major to MN will happen, but not saying it is impossible, either.

Actually Mack Brown told Chizik not to take that job but he wasn't going to stand in his way. I also don't think that they were to upset over losing Brewster at Texas as he had been there forever as was never going to move up any higher than he was and the majority of longhorn fans could not have even told you who Tim Brewster was. Greg Robinson was also catching some heat in Texas when he was there. The big difference however is that the Longhorn faithful across that state love Major Applewhite, none of the other guys had ties to the state and program like he does.

I also don't think that they were to upset over losing Brewster at Texas as he had been there forever as was never going to move up any higher than he was and the majority of longhorn fans could not have even told you who Tim Brewster was.

That is untrue. Brewster was well-known. He was well-liked. He was known as the bulldog recruiter on the staff. His departure from TX was viewed as a loss. But, he wanted to try something new in the NFL.

All I'm saying is that maybe Applewhite - now knowing he won't be the next Longhorn head coach - wants to run his own offense in a BCS conference for a lot of money. If he's successful, the other job offers will flow in. If he isn't, then he can go back to being a RB coach at TX.

Or, you could be right. Maybe he wants to stay in his home state at his alma mater. There certainly could be some attraction for him in that rol. That could well be. It would also mean he doesn't get to run his own offense and develop as much as a coaching prospect. But, maybe he wants to be a RB coach for another decade to see if the Baylor job opens.

I may be biased because we're from the same town and are close to the same age, but I would have this guy at the top of my list:

University of Oklahoma QB coach

He has been the position coach for two Heisman winners, is from the area, is a hot commodity, would be great for recruiting, and will get a similar job sooner or later - why not now?

That is untrue. Brewster was well-known. He was well-liked. He was known as the bulldog recruiter on the staff. His departure from TX was viewed as a loss. But, he wanted to try something new in the NFL.

All I'm saying is that maybe Applewhite - now knowing he won't be the next Longhorn head coach - wants to run his own offense in a BCS conference for a lot of money. If he's successful, the other job offers will flow in. If he isn't, then he can go back to being a RB coach at TX.

Or, you could be right. Maybe he wants to stay in his home state at his alma mater. There certainly could be some attraction for him in that rol. That could well be. It would also mean he doesn't get to run his own offense and develop as much as a coaching prospect. But, maybe he wants to be a RB coach for another decade to see if the Baylor job opens.

tjgopher, As someone who lived on the doorstep of the University of Texas, attended coutless texas games, and colleagues and friends with numerous season ticket holders and boosters the majority of fans did not know who he was. In regards to Major, after having Texas on his resume as well as being a OC at Alabama I just don't see him coming on board during a rebuilding job but rather going to an established program if he leaves Texas.

Our dear friend Wren over on the strib blog is pining for the return of Mitch browning....:eek:

tjgopher, As someone who lived on the doorstep of the University of Texas, attended coutless texas games, and colleagues and friends with numerous season ticket holders and boosters the majority of fans did not know who he was. In regards to Major, after having Texas on his resume as well as being a OC at Alabama I just don't see him coming on board during a rebuilding job but rather going to an established program if he leaves Texas.

As I said in my initial post, you are probably right. Wishful thinking, I guess.

I may be biased because we're from the same town and are close to the same age, but I would have this guy at the top of my list:

University of Oklahoma QB coach

He has been the position coach for two Heisman winners, is from the area, is a hot commodity, would be great for recruiting, and will get a similar job sooner or later - why not now?

The guy who taught Huepel is also currently unemployed and has strong Big Ten ties. He has a national title ring.

http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/bio-Long.html

Dude, your Brewster hating gets annoying, especially when you have to tell people you are friends with "numerous" boosters to get a point across. Come on, lets not embelish.

GopherGod = Liar

Dude, don't lie to make friends; your already annoying enough to listen to.

Dude, you don't even know me so for you to say I am lying is pretty funny. Grow up and for gods sake get a date to relieve all that pent up hostility and frustration.

Top Bottom