What took so long..

freshtrout

Reaction score
for Tubby to adjust and put a man (DJ) on the freethrow line which opened up the passing lanes against Ohio St's 3-2 zone?

I think it takes some time for Gopher interns to read strategy messages here and relay them to the coaching staff on the bench at The Barn.

Sampson was at the free throw line right from the start. Did you miss the fact that he missed a couple of free throw line jumpers at the start? The difference is that DJ has the strength and experience to stay there, where as Sampson does not. But he will in a few years.

Fresh- Good point. I was also wondering why Sampson III was guarding Turner at the beginning of the game. Thats a perfect match-up for DJ.

Also: Please don't hate on Tubby. FOT doesn't like it. ;-)

its marketing

I don't think Sampson won't be taking those shots at the FT lane very often but he has a long leash. The last thing Tubby needs is an impression around the league that the team is really a perimeter team with bigs-in-training. So he is going to play them as much as possible to get the experience and hopefully, they'll grow and do an adequate job when called upon. But in the meantime--including throughout this season, it will be our wings who we will need to rely on to get us to the tournament.

DJ wasn't guarding Turner because he was guarding Diebler at the start. (more of a perimeter threat than Turner)

I think it takes some time for Gopher interns to read strategy messages here and relay them to the coaching staff on the bench at The Barn.

hahahaha, good one.

Some people...will complain about everything...(first guy who posted)

great win today.

The next game, at Iowa, if the Hawkelyes play a zone, and leave RSIII at the FT line to shoot as per a scouting report, he will hit 6 in a row and put the theory to rest that we need to rely on the 3 pointer. Watch RSIII this week at Hawkeye land.... My bro from Quad Cities will be there....he will give me a report via text messages on our Gophers. BTW....We have a pretty good bet on this one, and he is giving me 10 points. GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The twin towers struggle when Sampson has to guard a 6'6" athlete who can put the ball on the floor. In a few years we could post sampson up over the 6'6" player. Our best defensive team is obviously: Iverson, dj, carter, westbrook, and nolen. The only trouble with this lineup is Westbrook is the only 3 pt threat. Nolen hits an occasional jumper. It's to bad we are thin up front, it would've been nice to redshirt Sampson. He will be alot better in a 5th year than he is this year. Offseason project is to find a jumper for dj, carter, and nolen. Great win though!!!

>>Our best defensive team is obviously: Iverson, dj, carter, westbrook, and nolen. The only trouble with this lineup is Westbrook is the only 3 pt threat.<<

What gives you the idea that Westbrook brings either good defense or a consistent 3-pt shot to the game?

>>Our best defensive team is obviously: Iverson, dj, carter, westbrook, and nolen. The only trouble with this lineup is Westbrook is the only 3 pt threat.<<

What gives you the idea that Westbrook brings either good defense or a consistent 3-pt shot to the game?

Maybe the fact that Westbrook is a decent 3 point shooter, especially when its a good shot and the fact that he plays good defense. You have it in your mind that Westbrook is a bad player so you can no longer look at his game objectively since you've already determined that he sucks

Westbrook was 3-5 on 3's. I said he is a 3pt threat, I didnt say consistent. Who is a better defensive player at off guard? Maybe joseph and we need him at backup pt guard.

Everyplayer has a weakness. Westbrook drives to far and gets his shot blocked, he made those drives in high school, not in college. Dj, Carter, and at times Nolan cannot make an outside shot. Hoff, Shamala, and Bostick have quickness issues. Sampson needs muscle. Is stating the obvious such an issue.

One important strength of Westbrook is that in the waning minutes of the game he usually hits his free-throws. DJ has often struggled there.

One weakness of Westbrook is that he holds the ball at the end of games trying to get fouled (often leading to turnovers)....DRIVES ME CRAZY! Pass the ball.

Top Bottom