What the hell is the coach doing?

Calculating how much he'll make per year over the next 50 years if his remaining guaranteed salary is invested wisely. With no additional income.
Smart. That's what I'd be doing too. At least while waiting for Fairleigh Dickinson to accept my scheduling request and kids from Macalester to accept open scholarships.

What do you want him to do? grab some kid, hold a gun to his head and demand that he commit to MN?

The Gopher Men's BB program has a relatively unknown coach -- no recent success -- no significant NIL --

and you're surprised that players are not pounding on the door demanding to become Gophers?

the Gophers are going to wind up with leftovers. now, leftovers can be tasty (I love me a cold meatloaf sandwich), but they're still leftovers.

if the Gophers were at a music store, they would be digging through the discount bin. and yes, you can find (or could find) some good CD's in the discount bin, but you had to dig through a lot of junk to find the one or two CD's worth listening to.

that is the reality of the Gophers' situation.

I expect the coach to keep me notified, on a daily basis, of his progress in recruiting the portal. His reports should detail all of the athletes he’s been in contact with. The reasoning for him contacting that athlete and not the athlete that I am curious about. Exactly what he said and offered to try to get that athlete to commit to Minnesota. And ask for my advice as to what he should have said and offered to that athlete to get his commitment. In fact, he should also let me know in advance who he is planning to reach out to today and the reasons why he believes that player would be a good fit.

In addition to posting that on the Gopher Hole, he should probably send me an email or text notice (in case I didn’t have time to read the Gopher Hole today) to let me know that his daily report is up.

If that doesn’t happen, I can only assume the coach is just sitting at home, watching NBA play-offs, waiting for somebody to call him, and making no effort to recruit or retain players. (um, I'm joking, but also somewhat convinced that there are a few here that are thinking; "Yes, that's exactly what I believe should be happening!".)

If that doesn’t happen, I can only assume the coach is just sitting at home, watching NBA play-offs, waiting for somebody to call him, and making no effort to recruit or retain players. (um, I'm joking, but also somewhat convinced that there are a few here that are thinking; "Yes, that's exactly what I believe should be happening!".)
There absolutely are those here that believe that if it isn't being posted on social media it isn't happening.

I expect the coach to keep me notified, on a daily basis, of his progress in recruiting the portal. His reports should detail all of the athletes he’s been in contact with. The reasoning for him contacting that athlete and not the athlete that I am curious about. Exactly what he said and offered to try to get that athlete to commit to Minnesota. And ask for my advice as to what he should have said and offered to that athlete to get his commitment. In fact, he should also let me know in advance who he is planning to reach out to today and the reasons why he believes that player would be a good fit.

In addition to posting that on the Gopher Hole, he should probably send me an email or text notice (in case I didn’t have time to read the Gopher Hole today) to let me know that his daily report is up.

This is obviously extreme. Obviously that's not to be expected, the one thing I will say, in today's day and age when the fans are essentially asked to pay for the players (at least herr with no major NIL booster) maybe a little communication to those who donate to DTA or whatever NIL fund would be appreciated. "Hey folks we appreciate your efforts, we had 3 kids on campus last week, went to 4 home visits, etc etc ". Again not saying there needs to be hourly or precise updates, but also if we're expected at this point to donate to build a team a little progress report here and there might help build confidence and maybe some excitement, as opposed to. Well we lost another guy, haven't heard much but hey just keep sending in money!

This is obviously extreme. Obviously that's not to be expected, the one thing I will say, in today's day and age when the fans are essentially asked to pay for the players (at least herr with no major NIL booster) maybe a little communication to those who donate to DTA or whatever NIL fund would be appreciated. "Hey folks we appreciate your efforts, we had 3 kids on campus last week, went to 4 home visits, etc etc ". Again not saying there needs to be hourly or precise updates, but also if we're expected at this point to donate to build a team a little progress report here and there might help build confidence and maybe some excitement, as opposed to. Well we lost another guy, haven't heard much but hey just keep sending in money!
Yep. It's called valuing your customers, PR, marketing... whatever. If you take an attitude that people don't deserve to know what is going on- then people won't care eventually.

Yep. It's called valuing your customers, PR, marketing... whatever. If you take an attitude that people don't deserve to know what is going on- then people won't care eventually.
I don't think it is a don't deserve to know attitude and more of an issue with things being so fluid that providing regular updates would get pretty tedious.

The info that is out there is an indication of what is going on, the issue is more with the assumption some make that if we aren't hearing about it then nothing is happening.

EXCELLENT POST!!!

I don't think it is a don't deserve to know attitude and more of an issue with things being so fluid that providing regular updates would get pretty tedious.

The info that is out there is an indication of what is going on, the issue is more with the assumption some make that if we aren't hearing about it then nothing is happening.
Just leak information out to Doogie, Liebert and others that you have a lot of activity going. I see that Liebert got some stuff up yesterday. That's what should be happening.

Just leak information out to Doogie, Liebert and others that you have a lot of activity going. I see that Liebert got some stuff up yesterday. That's what should be happening.
I heard a rumor that CBJ postponed a recruit visit in order to take a family member to the hospital for a health emergency. How much derelection(sp) of duty are we going to put up with?!!!

Calculating how much he'll make per year over the next 50 years if his remaining guaranteed salary is invested wisely. With no additional income.
Because he already done got his.

I heard a rumor that CBJ postponed a recruit visit in order to take a family member to the hospital for a health emergency. How much derelection(sp) of duty are we going to put up with?!!!
Dereliction...typing and spelling skills perfected at U of M in 1967!

Top Bottom