What record do you think the gophers will have by the end of the 2011 season?

What record do you think the gophers will have by the end of the 2011 season?

• 3-9

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • 4-8

Votes: 30 18.3%
  • 5-7

Votes: 61 37.2%
  • 6-6

Votes: 36 22.0%
  • 7-5

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • 8-4

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 9-3

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 10-2

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other (Post a reply comment to post your other record)

Votes: 7 4.3%

• Total voters
At the end of the season the Gophers will have played in 12 games and will have a win/loss record.

My cautiously optimistic prediction (and I almost never make predictions.. I just cheer on our favorite squad) is 5-7. Improvement record wise from last year, and just about every game we are competitive and force opponents play up to our speed and not vice versa.

I think this Gophers team has more talent than they are getting credit for and with a coaching staff that can actually coach this squad should win between 7 and 5 games during the regular season. A low level bowl should be possible with some of the Big Ten teams in transition while going through losses to their rosters. I am going to say 5-7 this season because of the changes in the coaching staff and the new schemes but if we can not win at least 5 games it will be a let down. It might make me rethink my position on Coach Kill. I dont see this schedule being all that difficult outside of 3 games.

Does anyone have an example of a new staff rolling into town and winning 6+ games in year one at the BCS level? Tressel won 7 his first year at Ohio State, but I would guess he had a bit of talent to work with. Think about this as you think about other examples; Jim Tressel won 7 games in year 1 at OSU and we have people in the poll predicting 8, 9 and 10 wins for the Gophers in year 1 with Jerry Kill.

Other 6+ game winners in year one:

gophers1960 said:
Does anyone have an example of a new staff rolling into town and winning 6+ games in year one at the BCS level? Tressel won 7 his first year at Ohio State, but I would guess he had a bit of talent to work with. Think about this as you think about other examples; Jim Tressel won 7 games in year 1 at OSU and we have people in the poll predicting 8, 9 and 10 wins for the Gophers in year 1 with Jerry Kill.

Good post. I think Saban lost to an FCS or really bad FBS team in year one at Alabama.

I think 6 is the ceiling but 3-4 is more realistic. I'm seduced into thinking 6 because of Illinois and Iowa last year.

If the media types were viewing the poll results they would say those Gophers Holers are a bunch of homers.

Mark Dantonio - 7 wins in first year at Cincy, 7 wins in first year at MSU
Nick Saban - 6, MSU; 8, LSU; 7, Alabama
Lane Kiffin - 7, Tennessee, 8, USC
Urban Meyer - 9, Florida
Jimbo Fisher - 10, FSU
Burnt Enema - 12, Wisconsin
Ron Zook - 8, Florida
Paul Rhoads - 7, Iowa St.
Rick Neuheisel - 10, Colorado; 7, Washington
Gary Barnett - 7, Colorado
Mack Brown - 9, Texas
Bo Pelini - 9, Nebraska
Bill Snyder - 6, Kansas St. (2nd tenure)
Mike Riley - 8, Oregon St. (2nd tenure)
Pete Carroll - 6, USC
Charlie Weis - 9, Notre Dame
Brian Kelly - 10, Cincinnati; 8, Notre Dame
Ty Willingham - 7, Stanford; 10, Notre Dame
Bob Davie - 7, Notre Dame
Les Miles - 11, LSU
Mark Richt - 8, Georgia

There are many, many more examples, but I'm already bored of compiling this list. It is nowhere near as uncommon as you think.

I'm going with an optimistic 6-6.

at USC
New Mexico State
Miami (Oh)
North Dakota State

at Michigan
at Purdue
Nebraska
Iowa
at Michigan State
Wisconsin
at Northwestern
Illinois

Stroke the Post baby.

This is true. The team underachieved last year. Obviously we should have beaten South Dakota, if Collado had pulled down that pick against Northwestern, we would have won that one too, and we were also likely talented enough to beat both Purdue and Northern Illinois. Had we played as well as we were capable of playing, we could have had 6 or 7 wins last season. Hopefully Kill's coaching is able to get more out of our players than Brewster did.

I also believe the Gophers are capable of winning all of the games that husker70 listed, that said, I don't believe that we will win all of them. But we might also get an unexpected win against USC, Wisconsin, Michigan State, or Nebraska, and I suppose wins against Michigan and Iowa wouldn't exactly be expected, I wouldn't be too surprised if we won them either. Can't wait for the season to start! Go Gophers!

Yes, but on the same hand, they were behind very late against IL and got lucky to win that game, and IA didn't even show up to the game. So if we win SD and NW but lose IL and IA we're right back where we were.

Mark Dantonio - 7 wins in first year at Cincy, 7 wins in first year at MSU
Nick Saban - 6, MSU; 8, LSU; 7, Alabama
Lane Kiffin - 7, Tennessee, 8, USC
Urban Meyer - 9, Florida
Jimbo Fisher - 10, FSU
Burnt Enema - 12, Wisconsin
Ron Zook - 8, Florida
Paul Rhoads - 7, Iowa St.
Rick Neuheisel - 10, Colorado; 7, Washington
Gary Barnett - 7, Colorado
Mack Brown - 9, Texas
Bo Pelini - 9, Nebraska
Bill Snyder - 6, Kansas St. (2nd tenure)
Mike Riley - 8, Oregon St. (2nd tenure)
Pete Carroll - 6, USC
Charlie Weis - 9, Notre Dame
Brian Kelly - 10, Cincinnati; 8, Notre Dame
Ty Willingham - 7, Stanford; 10, Notre Dame
Bob Davie - 7, Notre Dame
Les Miles - 11, LSU
Mark Richt - 8, Georgia

There are many, many more examples, but I'm already bored of compiling this list. It is nowhere near as uncommon as you think.

I guess the question I'd ask is how many of those programs were 3-9 the previous year and had 17 wins the prior 4 years. Some of them were obviously not in that situation (Burnt Enema, Jimbo Fischer, Urban Meyer, Lane Kiffin, Ron Zook, Charlie Weis, Bob Davie, Les Miles...). Paul Rhodes is a good example of someone who came in to a similar circumstance (though you could argue Chizick [sp?] started them on that uptick, but the record certainly doesn't reflect that). I didn't check the rest, but he is proof it can be done.

I guess the question I'd ask is how many of those programs were 3-9 the previous year and had 17 wins the prior 4 years. Some of them were obviously not in that situation (Burnt Enema, Jimbo Fischer, Urban Meyer, Lane Kiffin, Ron Zook, Charlie Weis, Bob Davie, Les Miles...). Paul Rhodes is a good example of someone who came in to a similar circumstance (though you could argue Chizick [sp?] started them on that uptick, but the record certainly doesn't reflect that). I didn't check the rest, but he is proof it can be done.

Some would say you could ask how many of those coaches followed Tim Brewster lol. I don't even disagree with you actually, but for those who are optimistic about 7+ wins, most are probably operating under the premise that Brewster was such a terrible coach that he made that team miserable despite the abundant talent they see here. The two wins last year only enhance that line of thinking. I think 5 wins, but my maroon and gold glasses tell me 8 wins isn't completely farfetched if things fall into place (other B1G squads not quite as good as expected, Gray ends up being All-B1G type QB, defensive line figures things out and gets to the QB).

Alright, I'll play along. Here are my predictions for the season. Unlike most posters, I believe the Gophers win at USC and lose to Miami.

W - at USC
W - New Mexico State
L - Miami (Oh)
W - North Dakota State
L - at Michigan
W - at Purdue
L - Nebraska
L - Iowa
W - at Michigan State
L - Wisconsin
W - at Northwestern
W - Illinois

W - at USC.......................First game of the season and neither team is ready. The Trojans have a history of starting off the season slow. Not sure if this is because it takes them a while to get it together under Kiffin or the Pac-10 isn't very strong. Despite the intentional challenges with Fall practice, the Gophers are a little more together than the team from SoCal. Every year I have watched a Kill coached team before the season starts the offense is struggling. As Alfred E. Newman would say, "What, me worry?" It's going to be a sloppy game and both teams commit at least three turnovers. Goldy's defense saves the day in the 4th quarter.
W - New Mexico State...Confidence builder game. Offense is starting to get some rythm
L - Miami (Oh)...Surprised most do not see this as a tough game. Number 1 team in the MAC deserves respect.
W - North Dakota State...FCS or not, this will be tough. I would normally take a top team in the MVC over a bottom B10 team. This game will be a grinder. For the record, I picked Appalachian St over Michigan a few years back. Cha ching! I knew their speed would surprise.
L - at Michigan...If this was a home game it would be a different story.
W - at Purdue...Easiest game on the schedule.
L - Nebraska...The Huskers aren't an SEC team. It's a good game.
L - Iowa...Sloppy game for the Gophers. Are they getting tired?
W - at Michigan State...This ends up being a statement game.
L - Wisconsin....Goldy has the cart before the horse and drops this one. Sad day for the fans.
W - at Northwestern...Second easiest game on the schedule.
W - Illinois...The Illini take a beating.

L - at USC
W - New Mexico State
W - Miami (Oh)
W - North Dakota State
L - at Michigan
W - at Purdue
W - Nebraska
W - Iowa
L - at Michigan State
L - Wisconsin
W - at Northwestern
W - Illinois

I think the season will go more like this:
L - at USC
W - New Mexico State
L - Miami (Oh)
W - North Dakota State
L - at Michigan
L - at Purdue
L - Nebraska
W - Iowa
W - at Michigan State
W - Wisconsin
W - at Northwestern
W - Illinois

I think we will struggle early while we become comfortable with the system. We will beat the rabdo's as it all starts to come together. Then, as Saluki said, Michigan St. will be a statement game. Wisconsin then comes to town and BLAST OFF, Gopher football is back on the map!

-OR-

We go 2-9!

What I'd like to know is, will the Gophers win more games than the Vikings?:clap:

Ok ... my predictions. I've got us 4-8 (1-7) because I'm either a traitor or have reservations about the team heading into the season that I can't easily reconcile. I think the team will be better than last year and will be in a lot of close games:

L - at USC
W - New Mexico State
W - Miami (Oh)
W - North Dakota State
L - at Michigan
L - at Purdue
L - Nebraska
L - Iowa
L - at Michigan State
L - Wisconsin
L - at Northwestern
W - Illinois

L - at USC
W - New Mexico State
L - Miami (Oh)
L - North Dakota State
L - at Michigan
W- at Purdue
L - Nebraska
L - Iowa
L - at Michigan State
L - Wisconsin
L - at Northwestern
W - Illinois
3-9. Improvement will be seen in 2012

2 Reasons

Two reasons why the Gophers will finish with 3 wins or less;

1) Coach Kill's history suggests his teams will struggle through the first two years and improve in year 3 (when he redshirts fewer freshmen)

2) Sid Hartman said the cupboard is bare. If Sid thinks the Gophers are going to struggle, they are going to be bad.

*Edit* Not that I think Sid is a great sports mind....he's just too big of a homer.

It's OK as long as progress is made and recruiting doesn't take a beating.

I'll take a stab.

L - at USC (overwhelmed)
W - New Mexico State (only "easy" win)
L - Miami (Oh) (folks get concerned)
W - North Dakota State (folks are relieved)
W - at Michigan (Kill's coming-out party)
W - at Purdue (barely)
L - Nebraska (overwhelmed)
W - Iowa (Q's coming out party)
L - at Michigan State (overwhelmed)
L - Wisconsin (heartbreakingly close game)
L - at Northwestern (still upset about last week)
W - Illinois (bowl clincher in Zook's finale)

6-6.... a wildly successful season, all things considered.

In a ironic twist of fate, we will play NIU in the Little Caesar's Bowl in Detroit... and lose a tough one.

5-7. The 3 home non-conference games, Purdue & Illinois.

I think they have a chance to steal one from Michigan, Iowa & Northwestern.

Two reasons why the Gophers will finish with 3 wins or less;

1) Coach Kill's history suggests his teams will struggle through the first two years and improve in year 3 (when he redshirts fewer freshmen)

2) Sid Hartman said the cupboard is bare. If Sid thinks the Gophers are going to struggle, they are going to be bad.

*Edit* Not that I think Sid is a great sports mind....he's just too big of a homer.

It's OK as long as progress is made and recruiting doesn't take a beating.

Knowing Sid, its just as likely that he is choosing to lower expectations the team since he sees Kill doing it. Thus, he's being a good homer by helping lower expectations. Keep in mind, this is the same guy who said Brew shouldn't be fired and then got right behind Kill. His take should be ignored whenever possible IMHO.

I just hope if the Gophs are getting their ass handed too them against USC that ABC doesn't switch games at halftime. That would be a slap in the face in regards to finishing the recruiting class off. We get 5-6 wins if we remain relatively injury free. If we start going down 3-9 could rear its ugly head. Guys, we have a serious lack of depth except for LB. Our backups at other positions are red shirt freshmen or true freshmen.

Happy to see so many optimists here, or at least, people who are more optimistic than I am.

USC - L
NM State - W
Miami (Oh) - W
NDSU - W
Michigan - L
Purdue - L
Nebraska - L
Iowa - W, Floyd retained
Michigan State - L
Wisconsin - L
Northwestern - L
Illinois - W

5-7 (2-6)

I really think the Miami and Purdue games could go either way, and I think it's possible we could steal a win at the Big House. In picking them I kind of figured Kill will be able to take care of business against a quality MAC team at home, and that Big 10 road games are damn tough to win. All in all, I think we'll see progress made: beating the teams we're "supposed to beat", while managing to match last year's Big 10 wins total. No bowl this year though, I fear.

Just wanted to bump this season prediction thread for kicks. Approx. 73% of those who voted suggested that the Gophers would have five or more wins this season. This bump isn't necessarily to poke fun at those who predicted wins, but it is to ask why the collective perception of the GH was so off this pre-season. Most people around here now readily acknowledge just how bad things have become, yet less than two months ago 3 out of every four who voted in this poll thought a 5+ win season was a fair expectation.

Was everyone just that "homer" in their prediction? Do people vote for what they want rather than what is really likely? Or has this team truly regressed (recall Doogie wrote that a six-win season was possible after the USC game as linked in this thread - Six Wins a Possibility), and if so, how has that happened? Who is at fault for the wheels coming off so quickly and dramatically? Why was the media was far more accurate in their pre-season prognostication for this squad?

L - at USC
W - New Mexico State
L - Miami (Oh)
L - North Dakota State
L - at Michigan
W- at Purdue
L - Nebraska
L - Iowa
L - at Michigan State
L - Wisconsin
L - at Northwestern
W - Illinois
3-9. Improvement will be seen in 2012

Blind Optimist Homer.

I think the season will go more like this:
L - at USC
W - New Mexico State
L - Miami (Oh)
W - North Dakota State
L - at Michigan
L - at Purdue
L - Nebraska
W - Iowa
W - at Michigan State
W - Wisconsin
W - at Northwestern
W - Illinois

I think we will struggle early while we become comfortable with the system. We will beat the rabdo's as it all starts to come together. Then, as Saluki said, Michigan St. will be a statement game. Wisconsin then comes to town and BLAST OFF, Gopher football is back on the map!

-OR-

We go 2-9!

I think I'll go with my "-OR-" prediction!

:D

What a classic thread. Everyone thought we would get around 5 wins this year and now that we are 1-5 the stance has changed to it's ok that we will only win one game this year since it is year 1.

Stay realistic Gooferhole:clap:

Nothing has changed. Yes, people are disappointed by this season. First of all, I don't know what you mean by "ok". But just because we expected more this season doesn't imply that we were saying the torches and pitchforks should be brought out if the team did more poorly than our expectations.

I expected the Gophers to win 4 games this year. At the same time, I recognized that new coaches often do worse than the previous coach, and that this doesn't necessarily mean that the new coach will not do well in the long term.

:D

What a classic thread. Everyone thought we would get around 5 wins this year and now that we are 1-5 the stance has changed to it's ok that we will only win one game this year since it is year 1.

Stay realistic Gooferhole:clap:

How the f&$k do you still have an account here?

Top Bottom