What player(s) from each position group are you most excited to see?

WriterGoph

Reaction score
I thought as we're trying to kill some time leading up to Michigan, it would be interesting to see who everyone is most looking forward to seeing on the field. There are some obvious choices like Bateman, Tanner and Mo, but I am going to try steer clear of the stars on my list. Feel free to follow up with your own lists and some explanations (if you like):

QB - Zack Annexstad - I'm curious to see how he has recovered from his injury; I do think we see him play some meaningful minutes this year AND I think he ends up being the starter for at least a season before his time is done.

RB - Ky Thomas & Jason Williamson - I'd like to see if the hype is real with Ky and also it'll be interesting to see if Williamson can crack the rotation

WR - Daniel Jackson & Douglas Emilien - Lots of opportunity at WR this year and both of these guys were highly sought after recruits. Can one of them snag the WR3 spot?

TE - Brevyn Spann-Ford - Easily the most upside of any of our tight ends, but can he take the next step in his growth

OL - John Michael Schmitz & JJ Guedet - If we are down a starter or two, can JMS blow up with full playing time and will Guedet be ready for any meaningful PT this year

CB - Terrell Smith - He was on a great path his freshman season, but can he get back on track this year and be a regular?

S - Tyler Nubin - We've heard a ton about his potential. What can he do as a starter?

LB - James Gordon & Donald Willis
- Looking for one of these physical studs to take a spot by storm this year

DE - Boye Mafe & D'vion Harris - Mafe for obvious reasons, but Harris was highly recruited and could surprise this year

DT - Rashad Cheney & D'Angelo Carter
- Both of these guys spent last year learning and getting their bodies primed up. I can't remember two young DTs who have had higher potential for us in my lifetime.

Man, this year is going to exciting! What say you?

Pretty much agree.

However, I don't think Annexstad will get "meaningful minutes" unless Morgan gets hurt.

Williamson might be at best 4th on the depth chart, and may be 6th.

Pretty much agree.

However, I don't think Annexstad will get "meaningful minutes" unless Morgan gets hurt.

I guess I'm just assuming that chances of Morgan having to sit with COVID are not extremely low, so we'd need Zack to step in. Hopefully not, but trying to mentally prep myself for that kind of year.

If Williamson gets some carries this year - even in blowouts - I think that is a good step in the right direction, especially coming off an ACL

Pretty much agree.

Can you imagine how good we'd be if Annexstad was the Quarterback based on last years' season with Morgan?

I'm on the lookout out for the Dilly Bar position group.

I'm on the lookout out for the Dilly Bar position group.
I’m really excited for the production we will see out of them with a new OC. Kirk really held them back in my opinion. Do they have their own room?

I've changed my philosophy re redshirting. For some lineman maybe it's a good idea but skill players I say no, since the good ones may be leaving after playing just 2 years anyway.

I'm am also curious on how Zack fits in at QB. I do think he will get some minutes. Really excited to see Wiley get some meaningful carries. LB group...unknown for the most part but I have a feeling they will pleasantly surprise.

Barring injury or covid infection, which we all hope does not happen, no QB other than Tanner Morgan should be playing, if the game is not already well decided. So then, yes hopefully the backup QB's get some nice minutes. Who goes in after Tanner will be interesting to see.

Barring injury or covid infection, which we all hope does not happen, no QB other than Tanner Morgan should be playing, if the game is not already well decided. So then, yes hopefully the backup QB's get some nice minutes. Who goes in after Tanner will be interesting to see.
In the short fall scrimmage video someone said it looked like Annexstad was playing with the 2's, so I would assume he's the first backup at the moment. I too think we should stick with one QB starting and Morgan has the resume at the moment, though I hope we see Annexstad in when the game is well decided.

How anyone would argue against Morgan as our starter is crazy. The dude is so solid. I say the Vikings draft him in the first round and bench cousins immediately. Morgan could do better that cousin Kirk right now.

How anyone would argue against Morgan as our starter is crazy. The dude is so solid. I say the Vikings draft him in the first round and bench cousins immediately. Morgan could do better that cousin Kirk right now.
I love him as a college QB but I don't think he has a strong enough arm for the pros. But I totally hope he proves me wrong.

I'm particularly interested to see how Durr (who was quietly a stud last season) deals with having a bigger leadership role and piece of the spotlight. Can he be more vocal, or will it be St. Juste?

I guess I'm just assuming that chances of Morgan having to sit with COVID are not extremely low, so we'd need Zack to step in. Hopefully not, but trying to mentally prep myself for that kind of year.

If Williamson gets some carries this year - even in blowouts - I think that is a good step in the right direction, especially coming off an ACL
I don't even know what that means. Two guesses with two negatives.

QB - Zack Annexstad - Can he hold off Clark and Kramer for QB2?

RB - Cam Wiley & Trey Potts - Wiley looks the part, Potts impressed me in his limited time last year.

WR - Daniel Jackson & Douglas Emilien - One of them needs to step up.

TE - Brevyn Spann-Ford - I'm interested to see how much the new OCs take advantage of their TE's

OL - Axel Ruschmeyer & JJ Guedet - the young offensive lineman need to step up.

CB - Solomon Brown - I could see him stepping into the nickel spot.

S - Tyler Nubin - Lots of hype, time to back it up.

LB - James Gordon & Josh Aune - the playing time is there for the taking.

DE - Boye Mafe & Gage Keys - full time Mafe is intriguing, Keys has the intangibles

DT - Rashad Cheney & D'Angelo Carter - Need some young guys to step up at DT too.

K/P - Mark Crawford - Aussie, Aussie, Assie!!

RB - Cam Wiley & Trey Potts - Wiley looks the part, Potts impressed me in his limited time last year.

TE - Brevyn Spann-Ford - I'm interested to see how much the new OCs take advantage of their TE's

DE - Boye Mafe & Gage Keys - full time Mafe is intriguing, Keys has the intangibles

DT - Rashad Cheney & D'Angelo Carter - Need some young guys to step up at DT too.

Yup, this pretty much nails it for me. Only a couple starters are complete unknowns right now, but there's going to be a LOT of fresh faces out there this fall. QB2, RB2, WR3, OL6, DE3, DT3, SS1, LB2 and CB3 will be really important to the success of our favorite team.

The unknown excites me
The known excites me even more
#0 Bateman for the win

Ky Thomas - if anything like his highlights shows up on the field we are all in for a real fun time

Actually what Keys has, is weight. He actually has enough bulk to stand up against Big Ten OTs in the running game. The rest of the young DEs are LB weight.

I'm assuming MJ Anderson was always going to be a 3tech inside. Up to 275 on the old (currently shown) roster, assuming maybe up to 280 by now. No way he's fast enough to be DE? Maybe I'm wrong though.

PJ said Trey Potts was going to play a lot. I’m anxious to see Ky Thomas.
Actually lots of guys on offense.
Defense has a lot of new guys that hopefully shine.

Your list is pretty close to mine although I would go a bit more basic in a few places.

QB - Morgan - I'm excited to see if he can take the next step and can only guess what that might lead to as he was already pretty awesome last year.

RB - KY Thomas is intriguing but really it is whoever ends up being the #2 guys behind Mo.

WR - #3 WR - A number of promising options behind Bateman and CAB, question is who will step up and snag that #3 spot. Given Fleck/Simon's track record at WR it is exciting to think about what they might have waiting in the wings.

DE - Excited to see what the combo of Mafe and Otomewo can do as the starters.

LB - Fleck has been talking up Willis and Gordon, time to find out what they can do.

Top Bottom