What percentage of the playbook have we seen and why?

BarnBoy

Reaction score
If I am remembering correctly, the offensive game plan for the Texas Tech team was pretty amazing. We were giving different looks. Running different plays. Etc. So we know Limegrover "has it in him".

Why do you think we haven't seen the expanded playbook?

A. We haven't needed to show it. We dominated our NC opponents with a handful of plays and will "open it up" when we need to down the road.

B. We don't have the right personnel. The current players haven't showed they are capable of running the expanded playbook. Just because it's in the playbook, doesn't mean it will be run in a game. Coaches won't run plays in games that can't be executed in practice.

Do you think it's more A or B or something else?

And for the record, I am perfectly happy running "three plays" for the rest of the year if it will work.

I think after the first or second game, Nelson said less than 50%. Nothing really changed in the games after that, so I'll stick with less than 50%.

I'll go with A. and if it seems like things are slipping away this week it will be broadly expanded. I think if the game stays close, the playbook stays closed.

Nate's got it.

The running game has been effective, yet it has not had the flash and glimmer seen in the bowl game.

It seems that there has been almost nothing shown in the passing game. Hopefully there has been more in practice both in terms of variety of plays, and success.

I think after the first or second game, Nelson said less than 50%. Nothing really changed in the games after that, so I'll stick with less than 50%.

I'll go with A. and if it seems like things are slipping away this week it will be broadly expanded. I think if the game stays close, the playbook stays closed.

I thought we had reports that much of the playbook was installed early in camp. Of course if it has been as basic as we have seen that would not be saying a whole lot. It will be interesting to see.

While I don't doubt there are plenty of looks and formations that have not been shown to this point I think there are some in here that have convinced themselves we have this great passing attack under wraps that we are planning to unleash in Big Ten play.

What in our 33-62, 421 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT performance to date makes anyone think that? I just don't think there are magic formations that are suddenly going to turn very average to below average WR group into weapons. I also think we have two QB's that are very good runners but are not polished as passers at all and unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to improve much in that department during the non-conf schedule.

I don't think it's simply a matter of not showing all the playbook. I think it has to do a LOT more with showing only ONE or TWO plays out of certain formations, usually running between the tackles. Out of these same formations, I expect to see a lot of play action, things we haven't seen. They're establishing tendencies, on film, for other teams to prepare for.

I understand the opinion of some that they are virtually incompetent with the forward pass but don't you think it's a LITTLE odd that they have shown next to NOTHING of what would be considered the most high percentage passing for a running team; play action?

It's not worth beating to death. We'll let the results on the field speak for themselves. If they show in the next two games that they still can't pass for more than 100 yards per game, I'll stand corrected.

I think we'll see more wrinkles in the offense like jet sweeps. We saw a few of them the other day.

The gophers are a power run team and will be all year. They are averaging 15 passes a game so far, because that is all that they needed to. I expect 20 to 25 attempts per game in the conference schedule due to better competition and less favorable down and distances. Throwing 10 more times a game with some play action and some different formations doesn't constitute anything significant in my book. As GophersInIowa said, they are just "wrinkles" based on matchups. Teams that want to be balanced have a balanced game plan; passing teams pass and running teams run. Iowa is preparing for a power run attack, not just 15-20 standard plays that the gophers consistently run.

Who knows, maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about?

I believe the coaching staff has had this game circled since last year. They know how important it is and how the season really hinges on it. I think Iowa will see a lot of things that we haven't shown yet in the first 4 games. I'd say 50-60% of the playbook is all we've seen so far. Iowa won't know what hit 'em.

The gophers are a power run team and will be all year. They are averaging 15 passes a game so far, because that is all that they needed to. I expect 20 to 25 attempts per game in the conference schedule due to better competition and less favorable down and distances. Throwing 10 more times a game with some play action and some different formations doesn't constitute anything significant in my book. As GophersInIowa said, they are just "wrinkles" based on matchups. Teams that want to be balanced have a balanced game plan; passing teams pass and running teams run. Iowa is preparing for a power run attack, not just 15-20 standard plays that the gophers consistently run.

Who knows, maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about?

No one in this thread has any idea what they are talking about, so don't feel bad!

No one in this thread has any idea what they are talking about, so don't feel bad!

I disagree with that statement. Obviously Clark W. Griswold per the following quote knows more than most people posting here:

Quote Originally Posted by Clark W. Griswold
"Who knows, maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about?"

MathMajor...what you said is true for most threads on GH. That is why we babble. It is fun.

I think it's more B then anything...

When we have passed the ball we haven't looked impressive. I can't see it just magically coming together all of a sudden...

OK, now what percentage of the playbook has been util. on offense? i make a living zigging while almost everyone else zags.

I'm learning that it wasn't super impressive that we installed the playbook so early in camp.

OK, now what percentage of the playbook has been util. on offense? i make a living zigging while almost everyone else zags.

I have to say no more than 50%. Mitch Leidner said we would really light up through the air when we needed to. I believe him! I think we are really primed for a breakout game of 150 passing yards one of these weeks.

I have to say no more than 50%. Mitch Leidner said we would really light up through the air when we needed to. I believe him! I think we are really primed for a breakout game of 150 passing yards one of these weeks.

Childress kick-ass offense?

Top Bottom