What Nostalgic Minnesota name should be associated with the football Stadium?

Get the corporate name and the money, who cares what the stadium is called? It would be crazy to leave an asset like the naming rights on a major stadium just sit around and not collect the revenue.

Would you sell anything else related to the team?

Would you be okay with the Minnesota 3M Golden Gophers, or the Minnesota MyPillow Golden Gophers?

It's seems to me to be exactly the same idea, taken one step farther. Would it be crazy to fail to cash in on those "assets" as well?

How about just the end zones? One end zone has a huge 3M logo, the other end zone is the MyPillow end zone.

Do you, personally, draw a line at some point, or are you okay with selling anything and everything that can possibly be sold?

How many were built in this century, not just updated? How many were dropped into an existing, built -up and crowded Metro area? The old Memorial Stadium at the U didn't have a corporate sponsor. Neither did the HHH Metrodome, but that was built in the early 80's.

I was told by several people that selling naming rights for stadiums is "nothing new". Yet, apparently, we used to be able to build stadiums without selling naming rights.

Personally, I don't care what the Vikings, Twins or any other pro teams do. If they build the stadiums with their own billions, the team owners can sell off any part of them for all I care.

But the U and the Gophers belong to the state. Because of that, it's the one place I don't mind seeing tax dollars spent on stadiums... and it's the one place where I'd like to see some respect for tradition.

Here's a quiz... name the stadiums that the following football teams play in:

Ohio State Buckeyes
Michigan Wolverines
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Iowa Hawkeyes
Penn State Nittany Lions
Wisconsin Badgers
Purdue Boilermakers
Illinois Fighting Illini
Indiana Hoosiers
Maryland Terrapins - Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium
Rutgers Scarlet Knights - High Point Solutions Stadium
Michigan State Spartans
Northwestern Wildcats

I was told by several people that selling naming rights for stadiums is "nothing new". Yet, apparently, we used to be able to build stadiums without selling naming rights.

Personally, I don't care what the Vikings, Twins or any other pro teams do. If they build the stadiums with their own billions, the team owners can sell off any part of them for all I care.

But the U and the Gophers belong to the state. Because of that, it's the one place I don't mind seeing tax dollars spent on stadiums... and it's the one place where I'd like to see some respect for tradition.

Many schools have sold naming rights to stadiums and arenas. Here's a list from 2011. tOSU, Maryland, Rutgers, ASU, Colorado, Syracuse, Wake Forest etc all are on the 9 year old list. Since then more have been added. Some like Washington & Kentucky have named their Football Field not the stadium itself after donors.

Last edited:

Ugh...Just looked up the result of the last game Played at Memorial Stadium Oct. 6th 1981.

F@$king Badgers!

Ugh...Just looked up the result of the last game Played at Memorial Stadium Oct. 6th 1981.

F@$king Badgers!

No kidding. We were at that game. In one of the End Zones. We were at the last Viking game at the Met too. 10-6 loss to Kansas City. There were seats available at the Met. Thousands more after the Half.

Seats available at Memorial Stadium too. Before and after the Half. Guessing that many just wanted to have a ticket or a ticket stub from the games. Little interest in being at the game itself.

Last edited:

Sid Hartman Stadium. Biggest Gopher booster - nobody comes close. Covered all Gopher sports for what- 70 years? Cannot think of anyone who did more for the gophers than him, except possibly Bernie Bierman. but that was during WW2.

SOLD!!!

Many schools have sold naming rights to stadiums and arenas. Here's a list from 2011. tOSU, Maryland, Rutgers, ASU, Colorado, Syracuse, Wake Forest etc all are on the 9 year old list. Since then more have been added. Some like Washington & Kentucky have named their Football Field not the stadium itself after donors.

I'm sure you have a point, but I'm not following it.

We're talking B1G football here, yes? B1G... football... stadium... naming rights.

Which B1G football programs have sold naming rights to their stadiums (which is the topic of this thread)?

I'm sure you have a point, but I'm not following it.

We're talking B1G football here, yes? B1G... football... stadium... naming rights.

Which B1G football programs have sold naming rights to their stadiums (which is the topic of this thread)?

Of course you can't follow it.

You need to read a reply before you start typing. Say #66. A direct response to your list. Here I'll help:

Now you'll probably say "but they're not real Big Ten Schools". Yes they are.

Okay now answer my original question. How many of those "don't need naming rights money" stadiums were built in this century?

None of them. Because they were paid for years and years ago.

TCF which was built very recently isn't.

Last edited:

Would you be okay with the Minnesota 3M Golden Gophers, or the Minnesota MyPillow Golden Gophers?

It's seems to me to be exactly the same idea, taken one step farther. Would it be crazy to fail to cash in on those "assets" as well?

How about just the end zones? One end zone has a huge 3M logo, the other end zone is the MyPillow end zone.

Do you, personally, draw a line at some point, or are you okay with selling anything and everything that can possibly be sold?
Sell it all. Get the money. Who cares?

Of course you can't follow it.

You need to read a reply before you start typing. Say #66. A direct response to your list. Here I'll help:

Now you'll probably say "but they're not real Big Ten Schools". Yes they are.

Okay now answer my original question. How many of those "don't need naming rights money" stadiums were built in this century?

None of them. Because they were paid for years and years ago.

TCF which was built very recently isn't.

— No, Rutgers and Maryland aren't traditional B1G schools. They don't have 7 National Titles in football. Their B1G football traditions are non-existent compared to Minnesota. They are among the bottom feeders of B1G football. Surely you can see that.

— How many were built in this century? NONE! And that's exactly my point: we used to be able to build stadiums without selling naming rights. Now, apparently, we cannot. Also, it refutes the people who keep yammering that selling naming rights to B1G football stadiums is "nothing new". It is new, in terms of B1G football.

So, to sum up: a grand total of 3 B1G football programs have sold naming rights to their stadiums: Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota.

What wonderful company to be in! The sellout bottom-feeders. I guess this is where you end up when you tear down your old, tradition-rich, hallowed brick house, rather than renovate it.

I wonder if Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa or Wisconsin are planning on tearing down their 'old' stadiums, and building a new one with a corporate name?

I really dislike the corporate logos on soccer jerseys, sure hope football et. al. doesn't go that way. The "Nike" or "Adidas" logo are on the jerseys now, but at least it's small.

I really dislike the corporate logos on soccer jerseys, sure hope football et. al. doesn't go that way. The "Nike" or "Adidas" logo are on the jerseys now, but at least it's small.

I agree. I don't mind a small logo, subtle. It's a compromise I can live with.

No kidding. We were at that game. In one of the End Zones. We were at the last Viking game at the Met too. 10-6 loss to Kansas City. There were seats available at the Met. Thousands more after the Half.

Seats available at Memorial Stadium too. Before and after the Half. Guessing that many just wanted to have a ticket or a ticket stub from the games. Little interest in being at the game itself.
Was that a snowball game? I was there also but I don't remember if it snowed that year.

In the 70's use to be able to get a gallon of gas for 25 cents. In the 80's use to be able to buy a very nice house in the Suburbs for $80,000. In the 90's you could get a Season Ticket to Gopher football for $149.

None of those still apply.

Your only points see to be that things are too expensive and they shouldn't have torn down Memorial Stadium and moved Downtown. Oh yeah, any naming rights that don't fit your theory must be ignored.

I agree with the first two.

As for your last question how about this one:

You ever planning on dealing with something happening now or gonna just stay with the bottom feeders and keep living in the 50's and 60's?

Was that a snowball game? I was there also but I don't remember if it snowed that year.

Thought there were snowballs being thrown at the Vikings/Chiefs game. Stayed thru one of the coldest, most boring 1st halfs of football ever. Then at Halftime went to the Men's Room. As we were urinating, guys were trying to rip the troughs of the wall,

Slept in the car after that.

Not sure whether it was snowing at Memorial Stadium. Don't remember if it did or not.

Thought there were snowballs being thrown at the Vikings/Chiefs game. Stayed thru one of the coldest, most boring 1st halfs of football of football ever. Then at Halftime went to the Men's Room. As we were urinating, guys were trying to rip the troughs of the wall,

Slept in the car after that.

Not sure whether it was snowing at Memorial Stadium. Don't remember if it did or not.
Buddy of mine has a turnstile and a row of seats on the beach at his cabin from the old Met.

Speaking of naming rights at TCF. Remember that Sid was one of the biggest proponents of moving downtown which ultimately became the demise of Memorial Stadium. I appreciate his support for Gopher sports but I'm not sure I can forgive him for that blunder.

Speaking of naming rights at TCF. Remember that Sid was one of the biggest proponents of moving downtown which ultimately became the demise of Memorial Stadium. I appreciate his support for Gopher sports but I'm not sure I can forgive him for that blunder.

(y) Completely agree.

Worked for a St.Senator who fought like hell to keep the Twins and Vikings in Bloomington. Twins worked with us. So did the U, but not the damn Vikings. The Senator was one of the Authors on the bill to spend money upgrading the old Met and sending a few million to the U to upgrade Memorial Stadium. The Met upgrade would have two stadiums, one for the Vikings one for the Twins out at the old site.

Final decision was made by a Council. One who's majority were members from Minneapolis. Bloomington and the U didn't have a chance.

That weasel Hartman kept publishing higher and higher numbers for how much it would cost to renovate Memorial Stadium. He did it to up the pressure on Paul Giel and the U to move into the Dome. Not for them, but for Max Winter and the Vikings!

Add in Sid's support of the "phantom Notre Dame Clause" in Holtz's contract. Could never understand how Giel could stand the guy at all. Giel and Magrath said they wouldn't hold Holtz here but he and Hartman couldn't let it be. They had to make it look like only God and Notre Dame could make Lou stab the U in the back.

Maybe all the time spent trying to keep the Gophers on campus in the first place makes me a little touchy when people start screaming about how much THEY cared about it.

Where they hell were they then.

In the 70's use to be able to get a gallon of gas for 25 cents. In the 80's use to be able to buy a very nice house in the Suburbs for $80,000. In the 90's you could get a Season Ticket to Gopher football for $149.

None of those still apply.

Your only points see to be that things are too expensive and they shouldn't have torn down Memorial Stadium and moved Downtown. Oh yeah, any naming rights that don't fit your theory must be ignored.

I agree with the first two.

As for your last question how about this one:

You ever planning on dealing with something happening now or gonna just stay with the bottom feeders and keep living in the 50's and 60's?

Has anyone ever told you that the ebbs and flows of your conversation reminds them of the flight pattern of a gnat on amphetamines?

Has anyone ever told you that the ebbs and flows of your conversation reminds them of the flight pattern of a gnat on amphetamines?

No, but the way you duke and weave away from answering a question could be a sign of delirium or early onset dementia.

No, but the way you duke and weave away from answering a question could be a sign of delirium.

Let's see if we can pin this down, then. Could you please repeat the question I refused to answer? ONE point, one question at a time, please — for clarity's sake.

Drawing in other news this week, I'm seeing:

Surly presents, Golden Gopher Football from Sandy Stephens Field at Huntington Bank Stadium, featuring the Sid Hartman Press box!

Top Bottom