What I've Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
Kill is pissed that Brewster gave scholly's to "best friends" of top recruits. He says we have 5, 6 guys that aren't fit for DI level football. He will absolutely not be doing any of that-- attempting to lure top recruits by giving a friend a scholly.

I've also heard they're basically changing everything from the way Brew did it. It's night and day.

Kill is pissed that Brewster gave scholly's to "best friends" of top recruits. He says we have 5, 6 guys that aren't fit for DI level football. He will absolutely not be doing any of that-- attempting to lure top recruits by giving a friend a scholly.

I've also heard they're basically changing everything from the way Brew did it. It's night and day.

That might be true and Kill can be rightfully ticked, but Brewster certainly isn't the only coach who has ever done that.

You mean like McKnight. :rolleyes:

Who else? Johnny johnson comes to mind to get green but I think Johnny has more than proven himself as a valuable member of the team

If this is true it is not very nice to say on a message board. All it does now is single out players for people to rip on.
Brewster was a poor coach. Move along.

The only players who even remotely fit this description are Johnny Johnson and Eric Jacques. There certainly are not 5-6 "best friends" on the roster.

If this is true it is not very nice to say on a message board. All it does now is single out players for people to rip on.

+1. If the kids are here and putting in their work there is no reason to call them out on a message board.

Exactly. No point in bringing stuff up like this, especially when there's no way of proving it.

Didn't we only offer JD Pride because of Seantrel?

John Nance and Shady Salamon...to be packaged with Michael Floyd:rolleyes:

The Cretin 'establishment' was shocked when Shady and John were offered.

Brewster really did take a pretty good program, and drove it into the ground:cry:

"Brewster really did take a pretty good program, and drove it into the ground."

I'll buy the drove it into the ground part.

BAHAHAHAHAHA................YOU were the one who singled out and ripped on Adam Weber more than anyone else all season!!!!!!!!!!!! This post was priceless.....

Even if Kill actually said this, which I doubt, it is a baseless argument. The bottom end of every roster in the country, even at schools like Texas and Alabama, is comprised of players who would be better off at a I-AA or DII school. Recruiting is an inexact science. Even if coaches are totally principled and offer players based on merit, there will still be "dead weight" on the roster, because a significant percentage of players will not "turn out" for a myriad of reasons. People are really grasping at straws for reasons to rip Brewster.

You mean like McKnight. :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I thought when I read this. I assume you're joking, and it certainly hasn't shaken out that way, but when we recruited him I (and plenty of other people) assumed DaJon was just the pill we had to swallow to get Keanon, Reeves and Stoudamire. ...And results aside, I don't know if anyone can prove that wasn't part of it.

There's always players on full ride who never play and players who pay their own way and play all the time. There's examples of both on this team. Bad post, imo.

Even if Kill actually said this, which I doubt, it is a baseless argument. The bottom end of every roster in the country, even at schools like Texas and Alabama, is comprised of players who would be better off at a I-AA or DII school. Recruiting is an inexact science. Even if coaches are totally principled and offer players based on merit, there will still be "dead weight" on the roster, because a significant percentage of players will not "turn out" for a myriad of reasons. People are really grasping at straws for reasons to rip Brewster.

Agreed. There are "legacy" guys everywhere if not friends of highly-ranked recruits.

John Nance and Shady Salamon...to be packaged with Michael Floyd:rolleyes:

The Cretin 'establishment' was shocked when Shady and John were offered.

Brewster really did take a pretty good program, and drove it into the ground:cry:

The Cretin establishment was absolutely NOT shocked when Shady got offered. It was a little more of a surprise with Nance.

Shady was a pretty well thought of player amongst recruiting circiles (he was as if not higher rated than Kirkwood coming out of HS). By most of the services, Shady is actually the best rated RB recruit on our team (depending on where Edwards was considered).

My point isn't that these services were right, my point is that he would have obviously gotten a scholarship offer without Michael Floyd. My point isn't even that Brew should have used the recruiting services, I am merely pointing out how illogical it is that the Cretin establishment would be shocked if Shady got an offer.

The Cretin establishment was absolutely NOT shocked when Shady got offered. It was a little more of a surprise with Nance.

Shady was a pretty well thought of player amongst recruiting circiles (he was as if not higher rated than Kirkwood coming out of HS). By most of the services, Shady is actually the best rated RB recruit on our team (depending on where Edwards was considered).

My point isn't that these services were right, my point is that he would have obviously gotten a scholarship offer without Michael Floyd. My point isn't even that Brew should have used the recruiting services, I am merely pointing out how illogical it is that the Cretin establishment would be shocked if Shady got an offer.

The Cretin establishment was thrilled for Shady (and surprised---no lie;)) when he received the
Gopher offer. Shady was and is a good kid...he overcame numerous obstacles.... was a hard worker...an over-achiever...and is a good story...But his high school coaches strongly advised him and Nance NOT to wait to accept, as they did NOT believe other BCS offers were forthcoming for either Shady or Nance...and the Cretin coaches were not sure how long Brewster would leave their offers on the table...as Brewster tried to finagle a way to lure Michael Floyd across the River into Dinkytown.

Brewster's recruiting methods were rather transparent to the Cretin folks. but the Cretin folks didn't care, as they were pleased to get as many of their guys scholarships as possible.

The fact that Shady may have been the highest rated RB recruit of the Brewster era is an indictment of Brewster, as a recruiter:rolleyes:

The Cretin establishment was thrilled for Shady (and surprised---no lie;)) when he received the
Gopher offer. Shady was and is a good kid...he overcame numerous obstacles.... was a hard worker...an over-achiever...and is a good story...But his high school coaches strongly advised him and Nance NOT to wait to accept, as they did NOT believe other BCS offers were forthcoming for either Shady or Nance...and the Cretin coaches were not sure how long Brewster would leave their offers on the table...as Brewster tried to finagle a way to lure Michael Floyd across the River into Dinkytown.

Brewster's recruiting methods were rather transparent to the Cretin folks. but the Cretin folks didn't care, as they were pleased to get as many of their guys scholarships as possible.

The fact that Shady may have been the highest rated RB recruit of the Brewster era is an indictment of Brewster, as a recruiter:rolleyes:

First off, Shady was offered by Mizzou, so he did get another BCS offer.

A RB of Salamon's perceived ability coming out of HS will almost always get offered by the U, whether or not he is friends with Michael Floyd. He is from MN and was considered a higher level recruit than Eskridge (at the time). Eskridge certainly didn't play alongside Floyd, nor was he from MN...so why would we offer him? Because he was an obvious Big 10 level recruit. Some recruits don't turn out, but that is just using hindsight.

If you add that to the fact that we were atrociously shallow on our depth chart at RB in 2008, it would have been absolutely shocking had the U NOT offered Shady (remember, we were so thin that he played quite a bit as a true freshman).

Again, I am only taking issue with the notion that the Cretin establishment was shocked when they found out Shady got offered. No offense, but I really don't think you are super plugged into that "establishment" that you speak of. I am pretty good friends with a couple people on the Cretin coaching staff and I talk Gopher football with them a bit and i've never heard that even being hinted around Shady. I am not saying this to say that I am plugged into the establishment, because i'm not, but I have a hard time believing you are. I only say that because you are bringing up something that is completely illogical and i've never even heard whispers of it.

...Again, I am only taking issue with the notion that the Cretin establishment was shocked when they found out Shady got offered. No offense, but I really don't think you are super plugged into that "establishment" that you speak of. I am pretty good friends with a couple people on the Cretin coaching staff and I talk Gopher football with them a bit and i've never heard that even being hinted around Shady. I am not saying this to say that I am plugged into the establishment, because i'm not, but I have a hard time believing you are. I only say that because you are bringing up something that is completely illogical and i've never even heard whispers of it.

If you're still good friends with members of the Cretin coaching staff, then ask them if they recall what Shady's 'ceiling' was expected to be, coming out of high school.
Answer: Not Big 10...and not BCS.

Same with John Nance, who also happens to be a good kid...and will get an NCAA DIII Championship ring for basketball very shortly.

Everyone could see right through Brewster...and knew what his motive was at the time.

First off, Shady was offered by Mizzou, so he did get another BCS offer.

A RB of Salamon's perceived ability coming out of HS will almost always get offered by the U, whether or not he is friends with Michael Floyd. He is from MN and was considered a higher level recruit than Eskridge (at the time). Eskridge certainly didn't play alongside Floyd, nor was he from MN...so why would we offer him? Because he was an obvious Big 10 level recruit. Some recruits don't turn out, but that is just using hindsight.

If you add that to the fact that we were atrociously shallow on our depth chart at RB in 2008, it would have been absolutely shocking had the U NOT offered Shady (remember, we were so thin that he played quite a bit as a true freshman).

Again, I am only taking issue with the notion that the Cretin establishment was shocked when they found out Shady got offered. No offense, but I really don't think you are super plugged into that "establishment" that you speak of. I am pretty good friends with a couple people on the Cretin coaching staff and I talk Gopher football with them a bit and i've never heard that even being hinted around Shady. I am not saying this to say that I am plugged into the establishment, because i'm not, but I have a hard time believing you are. I only say that because you are bringing up something that is completely illogical and i've never even heard whispers of it.

+1 IIRC Shady was also offered because of his work ethic. Coaches were impressed with his story just to stay at Cretin. All things being equal, colleges admit the Shady's of the world over others all of the time.

BAHAHAHAHAHA................YOU were the one who singled out and ripped on Adam Weber more than anyone else all season!!!!!!!!!!!! This post was priceless.....
I am gonna assume the "5-6 guys not fit to play D1 football" are not on the field playing. I am saying there is no reason to rip a guy who is a backup and working his hardest.

I never said Adam Weber was not a division 1 football player. I did say he was a below average QB (going into last year). I did say he had his best season his senior year. I did say I would call him an average college QB for his career. I did say he was awfully close to becoming the all time losingest (is losingest a word?) QB in football history. I did say I did not think he should be playing.

In my opinion there is a difference between saying a player should be on the bench because there is nothing to gain by him being in and ripping a kid for accepting a D1 scholarship that he was offered. They are not remotely close to the same situations.
Calling a player overrated or below average...or commenting how you think they should be on the bench is one thing. Saying a player doesn't deserve to be on the team is another.

If I was to put together a list of suspects for those 5-6 players I'd say Johnny Johnson, Eric Jacques, Dwayne Mitchell, JD Pride, Tiree Eure, Kenneth Watkins, DL Wilhite, Ryan Grant and Shady Salamon come to mind.

So allegedly Kill is worried about approximately 6% of the roster? This would probably be the case whether he recruited the players or not.

The above statement aside, if recruiting a "friend" means you can get a "stud" guy I am all for taking these risks since one or two studs can make a big difference on a team. But it seems like for Brewster the alleged "friends" never resulted in the "stud." If you're going to take these risks (as it seems other coaches do) you'd better get the payoff at least once.

+1, I was gonna call him on that statement but I let it slide.

I'm not liking this thread. Let's let bygones be bygones and move on. Naming players is bush-league. Let Kill do his job, let the players earn their scholarships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom