What is your favorite rivalry matchup?

(1) One of the longest rivalries in the land --- Wisconsin, for the Axe
(2) Iowa --- for Floyd
(3) Nebraska --- to continue to beat the legacy of Tom Osbourne

For me, unfortunately, Michigan and The Jug have been too infrequent to be included in a current rivalry. It would be interesting if the realignment brought the two schools together again for yearly games.

Always the axe. As mentioned because we have so many opportunities to “ interact “ with our drunken neighbors from WI. in both pro n college sports. On average, they take the prize for the drunkest, stupidest, arrogant fans. Plus, way too many of their most obnoxious fans live in the TC. If they just respectfully cheered for their team without taunting n the other BS I would be inclined to move on but since they don’t …. F Bucky !

Has to be the Jug. Here is a link to an article about the great 1977 victory.

Need to call this the Orange Bowl. Then it really gets the chili hot.

But the Axe is mine mostly because it's the longest played game in college football.
lehigh vs lafayette enters the chat

My favorite was always Minnesota vs. Michigan. They’re always a measuring stick program, and it was a very sweet victory anytime we could beat them. Love the jug!
Yeah, my first game was the 1980 Gophs vs Mich at Memorial, so that one is my sentimental favorite. My in-game memory of that game was Jules Perlt semi mangling announcing Ali Haji-Sheikh's name. I think he had like three FGs, four extra points and of course all the subsequent kickoffs after those scores. AC played too, and they had a 6'9" TE. The other memory was at the end when we were filing out of the row a drunk guy 2/3 rows up from us missed a step in the exit aisle, stumbled by us, took out a couple folks in the aisle ahead of us, then basically cart-wheeled down the aisle 4-5 more rows before veering off into the seats and slamming into a bunch of empty seats. It was awsome!

Having said all this, Bucky is my absolute rivalry game.

(1) One of the longest rivalries in the land --- Wisconsin, for the Axe
(2) Iowa --- for Floyd
(3) Nebraska --- to continue to beat the legacy of Tom Osbourne

For me, unfortunately, Michigan and The Jug have been too infrequent to be included in a current rivalry. It would be interesting if the realignment brought the two schools together again for yearly games.
It's one of the reasons I like the "3 protected games, rotate the rest" solution when we get rid of divisions, we could add the Jug as a protected game. There are Michigan fans that also want to play the Jug game more often as well, so I think it would have support from both sides if proposed.

Purdue and Northwestern are underrated Gopher rivalries.

We don't seem to have any more hate-room in our hearts for them, but competitively they have been two of Minnesota's most common opponents since the Original 7. Lots of memorable games with those two, even if no trophies were exchanged.

My favorite was always Minnesota vs. Michigan. They’re always a measuring stick program, and it was a very sweet victory anytime we could beat them. Love the jug!
Mine as well....until Schembechler showed up.

I was a little kid in Nebraska as a Gopher fan in the heyday of the Tom Osborne 80s

Beating them is still special after my earliest football memories were the Gophers being absolutely destroyed by Big Red. I've been taught to dislike wisconsin and iowa, but I was born wanting to crush nebraska. The awesome Chair trophy makes it even better.
Yes! Hard to hate their fans but beating them 4 years in a row putting up 54 on them in 2017? Delicious!

lehigh vs lafayette enters the chat
Yes, they have the oldest rivalry (1884), while Minnesota vs Wisconsin dates back to 1890 (63-0 Gophs btw). However, Teddy Roosevelt suspended rivalry college football games in 1906 due to too many injuries and deaths during those games. Since 1907 though, the border battle has been the longest continually played rivalry game in D-1 college football. Not even covid could stop the axe chopping. You may have already known all of this, but the history is still fun to talk about. The series is now tied (62-62-8) and I can't wait for the gophers to 3peat next year at home.

Growing up I always looked forward to playing for the JUG the most. When the schedules were published in the newspaper that's always where my attention immediately went.

I view Wisconsin as our biggest rival, followed closely by Iowa but the JUG is the trophy I covet the most.
Well stated!

Yes, they have the oldest rivalry (1884), while Minnesota vs Wisconsin dates back to 1890 (63-0 Gophs btw). However, Teddy Roosevelt suspended rivalry college football games in 1906 due to too many injuries and deaths during those games. Since 1907 though, the border battle has been the longest continually played rivalry game in D-1 college football. Not even covid could stop the axe chopping. You may have already known all of this, but the history is still fun to talk about. The series is now tied (62-62-8) and I can't wait for the gophers to 3peat next year at home.
Their streak was from 1896-2019 so we still have some years to catch up.

Top Bottom