What is your favorite Gopher football memory?

AK takes the snap. Drops back, blitz is picked up. He surveys the field and steps into one. Uncorks a bomb down the right side. THE D BACK IS TOAST! LEMEKE runs under it. He’s at the 40, the 30 and the place is SILENT. Gophers go up 41-21 with 3:19 to go in the horseshoe—Kesich coming on to attempt the PAT.

And yes—I’m a pre-cog.

There are bunch, but this is one I always remember, and I was only 7. It was the 1967 game against Indiana at Memorial Stadium; the last time either team won the conference. My Mom, Dad, big brother and I were at the game and a couple of Indiana fans in front of us were loud and rude. My dad, the mildest mannered man you ever met and a former Gopher player, got upset and somehow made them move. He must have said something funny because my mom burst out laughing.

Sitting in the front row and when the ball went up I thought it was an easy TD. Incredible and exhausting game that got me thinking things were changing...

Yeah crazy rollercoaster of a game. We were sitting down close as well. I was actually thinking Gophs would struggle to end up .500 after the challenge they had to win those three non conference games.

1. The 98 yard run by Thompson against Michigan. That was the first game I ever attended. Hooked this little 10 year old for life.
2. 2019 Penn State
3. 2021 Wisconsin
4. 2018 Wisconsin (we finally climbed that mountain!)
5. 2009 Air Force.....finally had a place we could call home
6. Michigan (Year TBD) I am still waiting for that first time we beat Michigan at a game I'm present for. I want to touch that JUG.

"Ladies and Gentlemen may I have your attention please..."

Don't know but Jump Around the 2021 season will be hard to forget...

The Gophers beat 6th ranked Purdue 27-13 at Memorial Stadium in 1968. Purdue was ranked No. 1 the previous week before they lost to Ohio State. They finished the season ranked 10th. Mike Phipps was the Purdue QB and Leroy Keyes was their running back. Phil Hagen was the Gopher QB and Jim Carter, Barry Meyer and George Kemp were the running backs. Ray Parson and Chip Litten were the primary receivers. The Gophers finished the season at 6-4 overall and 5-2 in the Big 10.

A friend and I hitch-hiked to Minneapolis from Duluth with plans to watch the Gophers play Purdue on Saturday and the Vikings play Green Bay on Sunday. We didn't have tickets for either game. While waiting in the ticket line for the Gophers a guy came up to us and gave us tickets for free. They turned out to be on the 50 yard line about 10 to 15 rows back. A perfect day.

On Sunday we were able to sneak into the Vikings game at Metropolitan Stadium through the players entrance. We walked in with a group of Vikings that included Gene Washington and Clint Jones. The Vikes won 14 - 10. Another perfect day. It all added up to a great weekend.

Last edited:

1968 - Gophers vs USC and OJ Simpson (before he killed anyone).

I was there with my HS Band as part of Band Day. This was a promotion where HS Bands sat in the end zone and played along with the Gopher marching band at halftime.

It rained on and off during the 1st half. USC won 29-20 and Simpson had a big game. But the highlight was provided by the Gophers. after a USC TD, the Gophers ran a trick play on the ensuing kickoff - a cross-field lateral that turned into a KO Return for a TD.

there were over 60,000 people at the Brick House for the game. Incredible atmosphere.
My 21 year old dad was one of them! He still talks about that game and how awesome OJ was to see live!

I went to the -U- from 1978-1984. 6 years season tickets. Saw the Nebraska game. I have posted about that before.

The best game I saw was the 1981 beating of OSU where Quinn Carroll's dad Jay caught three TD passes from Mike Hohensee. Another memorable game I caught was th 1999 Sun Bowl (in El Paso). Close loss to Oregon, but we were (FINALLY) competing in a Bowl Game@!

I was in grad school then so I got one of those cheap season ticket packages (it was unreal how inexpensive it was) and was in the end zone. Not the greatest of seats to watch an entire game, but were great seats when Jay Carroll caught the winning TD right in front of us.

What was really cool is that Daylight Savings Time ended earlier in that era and with all the passing by Hohensee and Schlichter, the game was running long and the sun was creeping down. Memorial had no lights, so there was just this very odd ambience to the whole thing (me being well-served at the time also added to the eerieness). Schlichter either fumbled or threw an interception on tOSU's last possession and I remember him slamming down his helmet and kicking it after he went to the sideline.

Top Bottom