What is your expectation for the coming years?

GoFerit

Reaction score
I guess it is a slow time right now. So, I need to speculate. :)

As far as Big Ten standing in the 2009-10 is concerned, there is a consensus that MSU and Purdue will make up the first eschelon of the conference. The second one should include MN, Michigan, OSU, and IL with Bucky possibly sneaking into the group. When I speculate, I tend to put more weight on the proven than on the unproven such as the improvement/development of the current roster and the incoming players. Of course, that dose not mean that I ignore the possibility of the improvement/development. Just less weight on the possibilty. Therefore, I put ahead the teams with proven players, which is why I would rank OSU and Michigan ahead of us for the 2009 season.

As to the 2010 and onward, things get much harder to predict. So, what I express regarding the future farther down the road is largely a wish.

Without further ado, here is my expectation:

1. For the 2009-2010, 5th in the conference, one win in the Dance, and a marginal top 25 (ranked between 21 and 25 for majority of the time while dropping out occasionally)

2. For the 2010-2011, either 3rd or 4th in the conference, legit Sweet 16 and ranked accordingly.

3. For the 2011-2012, preseason cofavorite and legit shot at the conference title...

What is yours?

I personally didn't think Michigan was any better than us this year. I know they swept us but we really screwed the second game away.

These are my goals and I set them high:
2009-10: Top 5 Big Ten finish, 5 seed or higher, I'd like to jump all the way to Sweet 16 but they should win at least one game.

2010-11: Top 3 Big Ten finish, 3-4 seed, Sweet 16 at a minimum but I'd like Elite 8.

2011-12: Conference title, Final 4

To compete with the very best

Expectation for the Gophers. ... compete with Michigan State, hopefully starting next season.

When the Gophers start doing that, the rest will take care of itself. Be competitive with Sparty and they'll be able to compete with any program in the Big Ten and in the country, bar none.

Maybe

Sweet 16 in 2010, Elite 8 in 2011, Final 4 in 2012.

Big 10 contenders (Top 3) in 2010, runner-up in 2011, champs in 2012.

27 W in 2010, 28 W in 2011, 30 W in 2012.

next year I expect us to be in the 2nd tier of the big 10. First tier will be MSU and Purdue, 2nd will be us along with Michigan, Illinois and OSU.

In the tourney I expect us to win at least 1 game, hopefully 2.

in 2010-11, I expect us to be as good as anyone in the big 10 and at least make the sweet 16. Very real shot at the final 4 if we land Barnes and one of our point guards steps up.

2011-2012 is a long way off to predict, but again I expect us to be competing for a B10 title. Honestly, my imagination runs wild when I start thinking that far in advance and imagine the lineup that we could theoretically be fielding in a best case scenario. National title is certainly possible if we land Barnes and he sticks around for 2 years with Royce sticking around for 3 and Cobbs, our 2010 PG or Devoe steps up at the PG spot.

That's probably a pipe dream, but with our coach, talent, and possible incoming players, we certainly have a very real shot if the cards fall right. In my opinion, we're a good PG away from the sweet 16 now. As early as this season, I expect our front court to be as good as any in the big 10, we just need one of our PGs to step up, then a dynamic scoring wing to take us to an elite level. That's why my head spins at the prospect of landing Barnes, because I believe that between Nolen, Cobbs, the PG we bring in for 2010 and possibly Devoe, ONE of those guys will step up at the PG spot. If Barnes comes here too, we're going to have a very special team.

A guy like Prather or Kendrick or a couple others could do the trick too, but with Barnes, I believe we could immediately be as good as anyone in the country in 2010.

As it did this past season, our team's future success depends on our backcourt, because our front court was very solid for the whole big 10 season, despite our 2 real bigs being freshmen. Iverson and Sampson will only improve.

Keep in mind though, almost the entire big 10 is on the rise right now. The entire all-big 10 first team was sophomores, MSU isn't going anywhere, nor is Purdue. Indiana is set up with some huge recruiting classes and a great young base, OSU has the best recruiting class in the country for 2010. Illinois is going to stay very solid, PSU is showing every sign that while they may take a step back in 09-10, they aren't to be ignored any longer. Wisconsin is never going to be a pushover under Bo, even if he is a whiny bitch. Beilein has proven time and time again that his teams are always dangerous with his style, though I don't see them competing for a B10 title any time soon. Poor Iowa is the only team not going anywhere right now.

It should be quite a ride for big 10 fans in the near future. Make no mistake, we could be the strongest conference in the country for the next 3-4 years. A nice break from the last 5-6 years leading up to '08. We put 7 teams in the tournament this past year though, and the only 2 teams in the league getting worse next year (PSU and Iowa) were not among those 7.

2009-10 Best Case Scenario

Purdue
Michigan State
MINNESOTA
Michigan
Ohio State
Illinois
Indiana
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Penn State
Iowa

Worst Case Scenario

Purdue
Michigan State
Michigan
Ohio State
Illinois
MINNESOTA
Indiana
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Penn State
Iowa

Be highly competetive. Win the games that should be won and win a few games that on paper should be lost. Make the Barn a "feared" place. Sell out every home game. Have players be good citizens and top-notch students. Have fans that are willing to support their team win or lose. Realize that the student athletes are not professional athletes. If the Hoops Program can consistantly maintain those goals, I believe that the program will consistantly rank in the top half of the Big Ten Conference. Believe it or not, even with all of the difficulties, that fifth place Conference standing has historically been about how Minnesota has ranked with other Big Ten Programs going back a very long time.

This thread did not pan out the way I thought it would be. There have been and will be different opinions about prediction and expectation regarding the upcoming seasons. The differing opinions/disputes usually have revolved around rhetorical arguments of how good we will be without stating or defining concretely "how good." I just wished to see what those people's concret expectation/prediction were, so I would have some reasonable idea where their opinions and supporting arguments come from. Thought it would be conducive to understanding each other better on the specific issue.

Huh?

This thread did not pan out the way I thought it would be. There have been and will be different opinions about prediction and expectation regarding the upcoming seasons. The differing opinions/disputes usually have revolved around rhetorical arguments of how good we will be without stating or defining concretely "how good." I just wished to see what those people's concret expectation/prediction were, so I would have some reasonable idea where their opinions and supporting arguments come from. Thought it would be conducive to understanding each other better on the specific issue.

Are you smoking it, snorting it or injecting it? You keep this up, we may have to get you a job as a speechwriter in DC.

Are you smoking it, snorting it or injecting it? You keep this up, we may have to get you a job as a speechwriter in DC.

If you promise on the job, I will start smoking it and keep this up even harder. :) Have a great evening, bro..

Top 5 in conference, a consistant Top 25 team and at least one NCAA win for next year, hopefully a Sweet 16. To project beyond that is somewhat pointless except to say IF we keep all players, etc. a Sweet 16 would be the minimum for 2010-2011.

Wow!
Could anyone have expected this when we were watching Munson coach?
Our expectations have gone through the roof!
Three years ago we would have been overjoyed being 9-9 in the Big Ten.

The point of lowest expectations was the day the NCAA brought the hammer down on the haskin's scandal. That set the tone. That dictated what the fate of this program was going to be for a very long time. Monson took the fall. Tubby NEVER would have accepted this job ANY sooner than he did. He only did it because the sins of haskins had been paid for by Monson. The University of Minnesota paid Monson well to take the heat and take the hit that the NCAA put on the program. What was needed...what was perscribed by the NCAA was TIME in a near-death, comotose state for the U of M Men's Hoops Program. The NCAA insured that with sanctions and loss of scholarships and all of the shame and guilt that went with the academic fraud schemes perpetrated by haskins.

So, in a sense, Monson was a well-paid scape-goat who took the heat so that the U might eventually hire Tubby Smith to come to the rescue with full scholarships, no restrictions and the healing that only time can bring to a saga as strange and as serious as the haskin's academic fraud scandal. It cost the pogram a great deal in terms of time, money and honor. The entire fiasco did open the door to bring Tubby here and now if Tubby stays long enough, some very good things can happen for this Basketball Program!

Top Bottom