What is your definition of a success as a coach for Minnesota?

I am personally willing to accept an occasional 4 or 5 win season if the majority of seasons are winning seasons and more of those seasons than not the team is in contention for the West. Occasionally there may be a year where the team goes 9-3 and is out of the running just like there might be a year they go 7-5 and be in the running. In other words, I'd like to see the Gophers get to at least Northwestern level. I don't expect a year-in, year-out juggernaut, though that'd be awesome.

After they've been in that situation for several years, then we can talk about getting to Wisconsin level.

I also would say I don't like seeing an empty trophy case. If every year they win 8-9 games but don't ever win trophies, I'd be hugely disappointed.

Reading that we have to climb the hill a little to reach Northwestern's level made me nauseous. But it did make me think a little. Pat Fitzgerald is held up by some on this board as a quality coach who many would take here (including, possibly, me). He's had two 10-win seasons -- one in which they won six Big Ten games, though only five BT wins in the other one.

We'll never be OSU or Michigan, and maybe not Wisconsin. I expect we'll always be somewhat cyclical. But is this the kind of record we would be happy with? I think some would and some wouldn't.

In 11 seasons, Fitzgerald has two 10-win seasons, one 9 and one 8. He's been over .500 in the conference five times. That's better than us, for sure. But he's also won six games or fewer six times -- about half the time.

4–8 2–6
6–6 3–5
9–4 5–3
8–5 5–3
7–6 3–5
6–7 3–5
10–3 5–3
5–7 1–7
5–7 3–5
10–3 6–2
6–6 5–4

Years ago, I looked at the lay of the land as it comes to Gopher football. In the Dome, you needed to temper your
demands a little bit because of the lousy revenue situation. Getting the stadium was actually huge.

I have an idea of what I DON'T want: I remember Texas A&M firing Tom Wilson after a 7-5 1981 season. He wasn't
a big enough name for the boosters, despite the fact that it was a four win team he did that with. They went out and
practically mortgaged the university to bring in Jackie Sherrill. For three years he struggled before finally winning
some SWC crowns. What was being missed is that there were activities that almost got the program the Death Penalty.
It took the hiring of DC RC Slocum to bring stability, sanity, and ethics back into the fray.

I don't think we want to crazy/overboard like some schools are, and I think 98% of us agree.

If the team plays hard, says "yes sir" and "yes ma'am", stays clear of NCAA interest, is competitive on the field
and in the classroom, the coaches are people we can appreciate, and is in contention for something almost
every season (I know there will be rebuilding years), whether it be bowls and division titles, and keeps winning
more than losing....I think I can be happy.

One thing that needs to be said......Trophy games and Trophy rivals are a BIG thing at Minnesota. Perhaps more
than any school in college football, Minnesota is blessed with some wonderful trophy rivalries. We all get what
they mean. Here's one thing we NEED to start realizing though:

While we're obsessed with winning the Axe, the Jug, or the Pig (along with the other two), our rivals are obsessed
with winning championships. The trophies mean something to them, but are a by-product of their quest for titles.
If the program re-sets its aim to where championships become the #1, #2, and #3 objectives, I think we'll
start winning those trophies more. Just a casual observation. I may be wrong.

The opposite of the last 50-years.

Beat our rivals at least 50% of the time.

Win the West at least once every five years and the B1G Championship at least once a decade.

Anything less is loser talk.

Wisconsin kept kissing frogs until they found Barry Alvarez. We have to do the same. You keep striving for the level of success that our neighbors to the south and east have enjoyed and not be satisfied until you achieve that.

wisconsin kept kissing frogs until they found Barry Alvarez. We have to do the same. You keep striving for the level of success that our neighbors to the south and east have enjoyed and not be satisfied until you achieve that.

FIFY.

Go Gophers!!

It took more than just Alvarez, though, for Wisky. The school also made a big push.

Reading that we have to climb the hill a little to reach Northwestern's level made me nauseous. But it did make me think a little. Pat Fitzgerald is held up by some on this board as a quality coach who many would take here (including, possibly, me). He's had two 10-win seasons -- one in which they won six Big Ten games, though only five BT wins in the other one.

We'll never be OSU or Michigan, and maybe not Wisconsin. I expect we'll always be somewhat cyclical. But is this the kind of record we would be happy with? I think some would and some wouldn't.

In 11 seasons, Fitzgerald has two 10-win seasons, one 9 and one 8. He's been over .500 in the conference five times. That's better than us, for sure. But he's also won six games or fewer six times -- about half the time.

4–8 2–6
6–6 3–5
9–4 5–3
8–5 5–3
7–6 3–5
6–7 3–5
10–3 5–3
5–7 1–7
5–7 3–5
10–3 6–2
6–6 5–4

Traditionally played tougher non-conference. Usually 2 P5 teams every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get to the level of Wisconsin. 9+ wins and a 1st or 2nd place finish in the West every year. If Wisconsin can do it, there's no reason why the Gophers can't.
It only took about 24 years for Wisconsin to get to this level. Fun ride though.
1) Never miss a bowl game (rebuilding year after previous coach excepted)

We have made a bowl game in 14 out of the last 20 years, and three of the six years we didn't make a bowl came in a coach's first year with the program (1997, 2007, 2011). 85% of our last twenty seasons fit into this definition, it should be a baseline expectation at this point. Failure to meet it is an automatic disqualifier IMO.

2) Beat at least one of Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin every two years

Gotta beat a rival or a helmet school every couple of years to keep interest going and give the fans something to remember. Don't have to do it every season but you can't go multiple years without doing it. In the last twenty years we failed to beat any of these teams in back to back years three times - 2007-2008, 2008-2009, and again from 2015-2016.

3) Beat Wisconsin at least every four years

Every senior class should have at least one win over the Badgers. The streak is beyond embarrassing and ending it should be a top priority.

4) Minimize off-field incidents

Limit embarrassing off-field behavior; it may still happen but should be dealt with fairly and swiftly. Discipline falls on the coach.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think having a season like this year would be an acceptable form of success for the Gophers. If they can put together 3 or 4 consecutive seasons like this it will get Minnesota moving in the right direction. If recruits are constantly seeing Minnesota hang around the 25 mark in the rankings it will give the U some recognition. Obviously you would like to beat your rivals (Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc...) that will come though when recruits start to take Minnesota seriously. We were a half away against them who should not be named from being Co west champions. Regardless of a weak conference schedule its a good recruiting pitch.

at least 3-5 conference wins and 6 or more overall wins every season.

getting to a bowl game every year though not the same as 20-30 years ago but still has meaning.

setting the bar high-- 3 conference wins-- are you being sarcastic and I am missing it. Going 3-6 in conference would be a pathetic year

MANY on this board have expressed their amazement in the past that the Northwestern fans did not rise-up and demand that Fitzgerald be fired.

Reality is, Minnesota and Northwestern are currently in very similar positions within the conference. The ONLY advantage they have over Minnesota is coaching stability. All other program assents are inferior. But coaching stability is a HUGE asset.

Right now, the program is not in a position to beat NE, IA, and WI more that 50% of the time. 40% would be progress.

The idea that you can just keep firing people until you find a coach that can win a Big Ten Championship is pure stupidity. It is the sentiment of someone who has clearly never managed anything in their entire life.

MANY on this board have expressed their amazement in the past that the Northwestern fans did not rise-up and demand that Fitzgerald be fired.

Reality is, Minnesota and Northwestern are currently in very similar positions within the conference. The ONLY advantage they have over Minnesota is coaching stability. All other program assents are inferior. But coaching stability is a HUGE asset.

Right now, the program is not in a position to beat NE, IA, and WI more that 50% of the time. 40% would be progress.

The idea that you can just keep firing people until you find a coach that can win a Big Ten Championship is pure stupidity. It is the sentiment of someone who has clearly never managed anything in their entire life.

Exactly this! Just going through the recruiting process 3 years ago for baseball, coaches play a big part in the recruits wanting to go there. Thats basically who is going to have your back for 4 years as you go away from home. If you continue to change the culture every two years its going to be hard to get kids to come and play for the school. If the players like a coach and are willing to buy into what he is saying the winning will come. There is good talent on this Minnesota team, we are not talking about .500 team. If they put up a season like this next year the fans will start coming around, all it takes is for them to beat one of the big schools. Combine this years record with a big win, and there will be interest in this program.

This is actually how every (successful) business operates. You hire and fire based on expectations and results.

This is actually how every (successful) business operates. You hire and fire based on expectations and results.

With a football program it is a little different in my opinion. The boss of a business has a very different job then a head football coach. At times coaches are considered a second parent for kids. When you have 18-22 year old kids coming from Florida and Georgia they come here because of the people that recruited them. They feel that comfort level. If you continue to switch things up, players have to adjust to schemes, coaching style, etc... Unless you have the luxury of a helmet school and expect to compete for a National Championship every year the best bet is try to grow and build. Its a fact that Minnesota is never going to put a full team out there that are better athletes then kids that go to Alabama, Ohio State, etc..so you have to find other ways to compete with them. You have to have a coach that can continue to get the best out of the players, and lay it all out there. This is what i saw from the Gophers all year. I never saw a team that just gave up, thats why i consider Clayes to be pretty successful this year.

Yep. And those who have NEVER managed (successfully) usually have no comprehension of how to measure either of those. So their expectations are all over the board, change almost daily with their emotions. And they have no idea how to think in terms of "results". Sound like Gopherhole after losing to a #5 team?

I think that is really the theme of this whole thread. This staff did exactly what was originally expected of them in their first year. Maybe even better.

It is only NOW, after the season, in a fit of infantile rage, that some claim they expected a win over a #5 ranked team, or that they expected 10 wins. A rare few even admit that they changed their expectations. But that's not how it works. That's not how ANY of this works.

I'd like to see a competitive & exciting brand of Gopher football that becomes a permanent fixture in the upper tier of the B1G. Win almost every home game at home. That alone counts for four or five B1G wins.

Make the Gophers the team that spoils everyone's championship aspirations in the B1G year in and year out.

Yeah - a Rose Bowl appearance or two in my lifetime (B1G titles) will be nice.

Yep. And those who have NEVER managed (successfully) usually have no comprehension of how to measure either of those. So their expectations are all over the board, change almost daily with their emotions. And they have no idea how to think in terms of "results". Sound like Gopherhole after losing to a #5 team?

I think that is really the theme of this whole thread. This staff did exactly what was originally expected of them in their first year. Maybe even better.

It is only NOW, after the season, in a fit of infantile rage, that some claim they expected a win over a #5 ranked team, or that they expected 10 wins. A rare few even admit that they changed their expectations. But that's not how it works. That's not how ANY of this works.

The coach said himself this should be a ten win team before the season started

Consistent 6 - 7 wins, occasional 9-10 wins. Proof of being able to make in game decisions and half time adjustments. Beating at least one of the big boys per year (Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, or Rivals Iowa and or Wisconsin). Soundly beating the easy teams. Staying in games against the hard teams. Recruiting.

You're the one that seems upset. And, if you go back and read the thread about what would make this a successful season virtually nobody had their expectations met. So you seem to be the one changing expectations.

Bottom line is the program needs to show signs of progress in wins vs our rivals, disciplined play, in-game decisions, player development, and corresponding recruiting progress or it's difficult to say we're making progress. Claeys will get his chance. If you don't expect excellence you won't get excellence. It's hard work and long hours. How can we get better?

Uh, found it. Here's the actual quote:

"I believe this is our best football team since we’ve been here," Claeys said Monday. "We’ve played well and competed."

"It’s hard to put a number on it," Claeys said about 2016. "Eight to 10 wins. Well, you win nine, and for around here they (haven’t) won 9 games in a (heck of a) long time."

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/...all-tracy-claeys-prediction-wins-big-ten-west

Uh, found it. Here's the actual quote:

"I believe this is our best football team since we’ve been here," Claeys said Monday. "We’ve played well and competed."

"It’s hard to put a number on it," Claeys said about 2016. "Eight to 10 wins. Well, you win nine, and for around here they (haven’t) won 9 games in a (heck of a) long time."

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/...all-tracy-claeys-prediction-wins-big-ten-west

Yep. We're at 8 with one to go. Seems pretty spot on.

Yep. We're at 8 with one to go. Seems pretty spot on.

So if I say the my team should win 4-6 and the team wins 4...is that a success?
If I say 10-12 and I win 10, is that a success?

He himself has stated that the team has finished on the low end of where he thought they could. He says 8-10 and he finishes on the low end of what he thinks is possible. To me, that is not a success.

So if I say the my team should win 4-6 and the team wins 4...is that a success?
If I say 10-12 and I win 10, is that a success?

He himself has stated that the team has finished on the low end of where he thought they could. He says 8-10 and he finishes on the low end of what he thinks is possible. To me, that is not a success.

Nice try at massaging. Context and history matters. Winning eight of 12 games in regular season is success for this team. Those were his expectations and he met them. Coyle felt that way too.

Nice try at massaging. Context and history matters. Winning eight of 12 games in regular season is success for this team. Those were his expectations and he met them. Coyle felt that way too.

Losing to all of your rivals is considered a successful season?

Losing to all of your rivals is considered a successful season?

So 2-10 sounds better as long as they are rivalry wins? Or maybe 5-7 if Gophs win the non-conf games? Don't think the 13 year drought with WI or the 2 wins in 25+ years against MI is on Claeys as HC.

Top Bottom