WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL DEPTH CHART?

It appears PJ is not releasing one before this first game. It's possible they could just not release a depth chart all year

Gathering some people want to tip Michigan off as to who is playing and who isn't.

Actually would really not be surprised to see the same approach re: lack of specific info on pretty much any players and no depth chart applied for the Ohio State opener next year

Have we seen PJ and Co. pull any real cloak and dagger type depth chart not accurate kinda stuff?

I don't think we've seen them do that yet. There are inevitably positions that are more fluid where we know that it might be one of any 3 guys through a game so I don't count those.

I just can't think of a time where the chart was super wrong.

Anyone waiting on pins and needles for an official depth chart heading into game one is going to be sorely disappointed. The good news is that we will only have to wait until Saturday at 6:30 to have our questions answered. I am sure there will be rumblings between now and then but Fleck has made it pretty clear that he is going to be giving out as little information as possible in terms of who is in and out heading into this game.

Have we seen PJ and Co. pull any real cloak and dagger type depth chart not accurate kinda stuff?

I don't think we've seen them do that yet. There are inevitably positions that are more fluid where we know that it might be one of any 3 guys through a game so I don't count those.

I just can't think of a time where the chart was super wrong.

Pretty sure Kamal Martin was still on the depth chart each game last year when we all knew he was going to be out a few weeks? That's the quickest example I can think of

Honestly, this type of subterfuge has me worried. You don't do it if you know that your key guys are all locked in and ready to go. To me this is a pretty clear indication that Big Dan and Dunlop are done for this year. Maybe others that haven't been rumored about yet. There's just no upside to hiding that your normal starters will play. Michigan is preparing to face the regular starters. It's not like we can go "BAM!! fooled you! instead of our top guys playing, here is someone worse. Now you're screwed!"

There's just no upside to hiding that your normal starters will play.

What? Of course there is. Who knows if Harbaugh is trying to read the tea leaves, and is coming up with a game plan based on that.

In fact, there’s no downside to hiding it. And even if the upside of obscuring your starting lineup in infinitesimally small, it’s infinitely greater than the downside.

What? Of course there is. Who knows if Harbaugh is trying to read the tea leaves, and is coming up with a game plan based on that.

In fact, there’s no downside to hiding it. And even if the upside of obscuring your starting lineup in infinitesimally small, it’s infinitely greater than the downside.

Exactly. 1000% agree. PJ has always liked to play the chess game. COVID just gives him an opportunity to go even more cloak and dagger. I'm sure we'll have some guys out, but I also think he loves the fact that nobody freaking knows - especially Harbaugh.

If we were playing Florida Atlantic and there was no COVID, I highly doubt it's playing out the same way. But PJ is an opportunist and knows we are opening with a HUGE game in a season that we have a chance to make some noise. Take every possible advantage you can, IMO

I'm curious to who will be the top three receivers?? I know Bateman and CAB....then who?

Harbaugh "Ah shit, their offensive line isn't as good. Guess we can't already do what we planned and have better success."

I'm curious to who will be the top three receivers?? I know Bateman and CAB....then who?

This is one of the top questions for a lot of us. Lots of young WRs vying for it. Doug Emilien, Daniel Jackson, Nnamdi, Mike Brown-Stephens. I personally don't think it will be Seth Green or Clay Geary.

Harbaugh "Ah shit, their offensive line isn't as good. Guess we can't already do what we planned and have better success."

Harbaugh: "I've seen lots of reporting that Dunlap and Faalele may be out for the game. Who knows if it's true, but in the event that it is, we should spend a non-zero amount of time developing a scheme we can opt into that attacks the right side of the line".

That complicates preparation, and takes time away from developing a game plan that assumes those two will be in.

Again, is it a massive advantage? Probably not. But the downside of playing coy with your starting lineup is literally nonexistent except that it annoys a few petulant fans.

This is one of the top questions for a lot of us. Lots of young WRs vying for it. Doug Emilien, Daniel Jackson, Nnamdi, Mike Brown-Stephens. I personally don't think it will be Seth Green or Clay Geary.

I'm very interested to see who emerges as the next threat at receiver. I have a ton of faith in this staff when it comes to recruiting/developing WR so it is exciting to think about what they might have waiting in the wings.

And the best part about WR is that you don't typically have to wait around for those guys to mature. Odds are much much higher at the skill positions that a kid can come in and make an immediate impact. Those guys don't need that year or two to physically mature the way lineman do.

So, does knowing the depth chart does...what...for us fans? I just keep a full roster handy, and when I see a number on the field that is unexpected, I say "cool".

Seriously, depth charts really don't mean much. Maybe who the kickers and returners are nice to know. Players go in and out so much these days that "starting" is sort of anachronistic, especially with the "4 game rule" which won't even apply this year.

Honestly, this type of subterfuge has me worried. You don't do it if you know that your key guys are all locked in and ready to go. To me this is a pretty clear indication that Big Dan and Dunlop are done for this year. Maybe others that haven't been rumored about yet. There's just no upside to hiding that your normal starters will play. Michigan is preparing to face the regular starters. It's not like we can go "BAM!! fooled you! instead of our top guys playing, here is someone worse. Now you're screwed!"
Literally one person, on GopherHole.com, said anything about Dunlap. No one else, including behind pay wall guys, have seen anything about that.

I say that person is full of BS. Now I could buy that Dunlap missed some workout & practice time and therefore isn't ready for week 1. I don't buy for a second he is injured.

Literally one person, on GopherHole.com, said anything about Dunlap. No one else, including behind pay wall guys, have seen anything about that.

I say that person is full of BS. Now I could buy that Dunlap missed some workout & practice time and therefore isn't ready for week 1. I don't buy for a second he is injured.

Agreed. And the way things are going, if he doesn't play in Week 1, we will never find out if it was injury or conditioning from PJ

In real life I cover HS sports for a small-market radio station. when I'm getting ready to broadcast a FB game, I contact both coaches and ask them to send me their projected starting lineups, so that I can put together a spotting chart for the game.

In 30+ years, there have only been a handful of times when coaches flat out refused to give me their lineups. most are good about it.

one time, I was joking with a coach I know by telling him, If you send my your lineup, I promise not to post it on the internet. So, of course, he posted his lineup on the internet just to mess with me. we both got a laugh out of it.

look - MN is preparing to face the best Mich lineup, and Mich is preparing to face the best MN lineup. if someone - or multiple someones - are missing from either lineup, the coaches will adjust. that is what they are paid big bucks to do.

PJ likes to play these little mind games.
It is meaningless.

PJ likes to play these little mind games.
It is meaningless.

How awesome would it be if PJ had whoever his source in the program who feeds info to RJ purposefully leak the stuff about Big Dan and Dunlap just to create confusion? A guy can hope, right...

who needs depth charts. I think we go w some four wide sets and allow Mich to blitz and stunt all they want. Morgan will get rid of the ball quickly effectively neutralizing the rush. Morgan will hit one of the speed receivers for big gains against an inexperienced secondary.

Top Bottom