What is the identity of the program?

Paying Tubby an extrordinary amount of money isn't gonna change the fact that we don't have the pieces around the program to compete at a high level consistently. Without a practice facility, yes, I truly believe we're going to continue to lose out on better recruits for their services to schools who have facilities that are more impressive.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean no high level recruit is gonna come here, we got a couple last year, but it makes the job of recruiting more difficult than it has to be when you're trying to convince a kid to join your program when he's got other schools with nice facilities and also quality coaching courting them as well. That's just reality.

We need to quit acting like this is all about excuse making. The fact of the matter is that we need this facility, no matter who is the coach, no matter who is the AD, no matter who is the president. It doesn't matter, in our situation (as a school without a consistent high level D-1 group of players EVERY year) we need things like a practice facility to attract top national recruits. That's just the bottom line.

Tubby is a solid coach, he's got a great resume, but there are plenty of quality coaches in the B1G, and at the schools he is trying to compete for to get recruits. People may think we're overpaying for his services, but reality is like scher215 said , to get a quality coach here with our resources, we probably do have to overpay for it.. But that still doesn't change the fact that the facility is needed, or else we'll continue to not reach the potential we possibly could for this program.

Monty519 said:
Paying Tubby an extrordinary amount of money isn't gonna change the fact that we don't have the pieces around the program to compete at a high level consistently. Without a practice facility, yes, I truly believe we're going to continue to lose out on better recruits for their services to schools who have facilities that are more impressive.

We need to quit acting like this is all about excuse making. The fact of the matter is that we need this facility, no matter who is the coach, no matter who is the AD, no matter who is the president. It doesn't matter, in our situation (as a school without a consistent high level D-1 group of players EVERY year) we need things like a practice facility to attract top national recruits. That's just the bottom line.

Tubby is a solid coach, he's got a great resume, but there are plenty of quality coaches in the B1G, and at the schools he is trying to compete for to get recruits. People may think we're overpaying for his services, but reality is like scher215 said , to get a quality coach here with our resources, we probably do have to overpay for it.. But that still doesn't change the fact that the facility is needed, or else we'll continue to not reach the potential we possibly could for this program.

Well said. Made my point much better than I did.

+1

Reading through threads like this makes my head hurt. The lack of self-awareness vis-a-vis Gopher basketball's historical standing in the nation in general, and the Big Ten in particular, is mind-boggling.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean no high level recruit is gonna come here, we got a couple last year, but it makes the job of recruiting more difficult than it has to be when you're trying to convince a kid to join your program when he's got other schools with nice facilities and also quality coaching courting them as well. That's just reality.

Monty- maybe you are exactly right. However, the same goes for any coach here in the past. We have always been behind the curve on facilities. If you are right- this is a huge indictment of the AD for lacking a cohesive strategy for getting the job done here. If he didn't have a game plan to back Tubby up with the facilities - then I'd guess we could have been mediocre with a whole lot of coaches at half the price.

I've said this in another practice facility thread but here goes again: Watch and see- we will finally get the practice facility at some date in the future when we are desperate. The day it gets built people will start talking about how bad the Barn is versus other Big Ten arenas. And then we'll have that facility problem.

This whole thing has been botched from the get go. We should have went for a grand package with the football stadium. A new basketball arena with the practice facility built onto it, and a baseball stadium. The fund raising could have been all rolled into one and they could have sold ticket licenses for more than they are going to get for this premium seating program they are pitching (with no decent selling pitch other than we need the money).

Instead we are going to battle for a few years over some number of millions for the baseball deal, then battle out the practice facility, then start on the Barn replacement always a day late and a dollar short.

+1. Well said.

With a 65-team tournament, I think your goal should be a lot higher than make the tournament "every few years." I would say that making the tourney at least 6 or 7 years out of 10 is a reasonable goal - given than in a typical year, at least half of the team in the conference make the field. I don't think expecting to be in the upper half of the conference is asking too much, especially for a coach with a national championship on his resume.

I think that's fair. Slightly more than half the time shouldn't be completely unrealistic for Tubby or any estabilished coach in a power conference. It might be a little high, but not unrealistic.

Monty- maybe you are exactly right. However, the same goes for any coach here in the past. We have always been behind the curve on facilities. If you are right- this is a huge indictment of the AD for lacking a cohesive strategy for getting the job done here. If he didn't have a game plan to back Tubby up with the facilities - then I'd guess we could have been mediocre with a whole lot of coaches at half the price.

I've said this in another practice facility thread but here goes again: Watch and see- we will finally get the practice facility at some date in the future when we are desperate. The day it gets built people will start talking about how bad the Barn is versus other Big Ten arenas. And then we'll have that facility problem.

This whole thing has been botched from the get go. We should have went for a grand package with the football stadium. A new basketball arena with the practice facility built onto it, and a baseball stadium. The fund raising could have been all rolled into one and they could have sold ticket licenses for more than they are going to get for this premium seating program they are pitching (with no decent selling pitch other than we need the money).

Instead we are going to battle for a few years over some number of millions for the baseball deal, then battle out the practice facility, then start on the Barn replacement always a day late and a dollar short.

Sadly there are two mountains to overcome with regards to this. The lack of an AD or President who can think big or long-term is the biggest. But even if they had, I doubt the State Legislature would have signed off on this bigger, more expensive vision. There's a reason the Metrodome was built cheap and 5 years too late. There's a reason Target Field was wedged into a tiny space and built 10 years too late. And there's a reason the Vikings on are year 10 of banging their head against the wall. So even if Joel Maturi had magically turned into a competant B1G AD, I don't think we'd be seeing what you rightly propose. That said, the handling of the baseball/practice facility situtation has been poor, at best.

I think Stan asks a very good question, one for which I have a hard time coming up with a definitive answer.

If I had to pinpoint our identity right now, I'd say that our identity is that (1) by and large we're going to compete our tails off and defend at a Big Ten level & (2) we're rarely an "easy out" for anyone, but for whatever reasons (3) we're easy to defend, and (4) when we win it's usually a muck-it-up type of game. My hope would be (3) and (4) happen less frequently as this season goes on.

the problem is not Tubby....it is the Athletic Department.....It does not matter who the coach here is.....

The identity of this team is "injury prone".

In all honesty the identity of this program under Tubby is hard defense and hockey line substitutions.

Top Bottom