What is the Biggest Game Kill has ever won?

sonnygarcia

Reaction score
It was a Quarterfinal FCS game (one). That is the biggest game they've ever won; never made is past a semi-final FCS game.

Was severely out coached in MAC championship game as a huge favorite as well his bowl game at NIU. Was outcoached in their bowl game last year. Was out coached in their 2 big games this year (Wisc was essentially a BIG playoff game and this bowl game). Don't seem to be able to coach well in the big boy games.

Not saying they haven't done a good job to this point, just pointing out that if you are expecting this staff to take that next step they have never shown the ability to do so. They have shown the ability to take a bad situation and make it good, but that blue print has never shown it can take the next step.

I'll get ripped by the posters who have watched crappy football for 40 years and get giddy about 8 wins, but I'm younger and it's cool, but doesn't give me the warm fuzzies it does for most of you.

I think it merits discussion as some are talking lifetime contract, keys to city, etc.

It was a Quarterfinal FCS game (one). That is the biggest game they've ever won; never made is past a semi-final FCS game.

Was severely out coached in MAC championship game as a huge favorite as well his bowl game at NIU. Was outcoached in their bowl game last year. Was out coached in their 2 big games this year (Wisc was essentially a BIG playoff game and this bowl game). Don't seem to be able to coach well in the big boy games.

Not saying they haven't done a good job to this point, just pointing out that if you are expecting this staff to take that next step they have never shown the ability to do so. They have shown the ability to take a bad situation and make it good, but that blue print has never shown it can take the next step.

I'll get ripped by the posters who have watched crappy football for 40 years and get giddy about 8 wins, but I'm younger and it's cool, but doesn't give me the warm fuzzies it does for most of you.

I think it merits discussion as some are talking lifetime contract, keys to city, etc.

I think it's a fair discussion and definitely something I'm a little worried about.

As for the part about 8 wins, I think it's all about progress. I'm extremely frustrated about today's game (I'm hardly even paying attention to the Rose Bowl) but I also think we're still going in the right direction. The program is doing things that haven't been done for a long time.

I think it's a fair discussion and definitely something I'm a little worried about.

As for the part about 8 wins, I think it's all about progress. I'm extremely frustrated about today's game (I'm hardly even paying attention to the Rose Bowl) but I also think we're still going in the right direction. The program is doing things that haven't been done for a long time.

I think this sums up many gopher fans. We are cautiously optimistic. We like what Kill has done thus far, but we are not convinced that he can take us over the hump. Time will tell.

I don't think it's fair to pick and choose the biggest games of the year and point out that he always loses them. Yes, he does always lose them, but that doesn't mean he was out coached in all of them. For example, the last two bowl losses are squarely on the players. This one you could argue is more his fault, but Berkley Edwards drops a 30 yard pass when we're down 19-17. Mitch Leidner and David Cobb (although he didn't cause a turnover) couldn't hold on to the ball. Is that the coaches fault?

Take the whole season into account. Don't pick and choose the last game of the year and have that define the entire season.

These situations remind me of Andy Reid with the Eagles. 5 NFC championship games, but he'll always be remembered for not getting to a Super Bowl. Everyone ignores the fact that he was a fantastic coach who got to 5 NFC championship games. He just wasn't lucky enough to make it to the finish line. Not saying Jerry Kill is on that level, but you can see my point.

Not being satisfied is a good thing. However, who do you have in mind that will come to Minnesota and do better? Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh etc, aren't coming here. Our University is in a state that might have four division one high school football players in a given year. The perception is it is freezing here, the reality is Florida and California have nicer weather. The college football playing field is not level. We have lots of obstacles to overcome to be in or near the top 25. Jerry Kill is largely responsible for making enough noise to take our facilities from worst to acceptable. There is a lot more to this than you are considering. we are improving. You need patience and the ability to see a bigger picture than your lense is allowing right now.

yeah, I'm pretty disappointed Kill has failed at all his bowl games in Minnesota now, and I feel coaching was a huge part of the outcome of this bowl. The fake punt and the onside kick were examples of Jerry being outcoached. I think those two only resulted in 6 points for Mizzou, but who knows how many points it prevented the Gophers from getting. Penalties also is usually a telling stat for coaching, Gophers had 6 for 45 yards, while Mizzou had 2 for 15.

Is Jerry a good coach? I absolutely think he is, I just think he should be known for a program builder and talent evaluator rather than an in-game decision maker.

Not being satisfied is a good thing. However, who do you have in mind that will come to Minnesota and do better? Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh etc, aren't coming here. Our University is in a state that might have four division one high school football players in a given year. The perception is it is freezing here, the reality is Florida and California have nicer weather. The college football playing field is not level. We have lots of obstacles to overcome to be in or near the top 25. Jerry Kill is largely responsible for making enough noise to take our facilities from worst to acceptable. There is a lot more to this than you are considering. we are improving. You need patience and the ability to see a bigger picture than your lense is allowing right now.

The state of Minnesota has produced 15, 11, and 25 Division I football signees in the last 3 recruiting cycles.

These situations remind me of Andy Reid with the Eagles. 5 NFC championship games, but he'll always be remembered for not getting to a Super Bowl. Everyone ignores the fact that he was a fantastic coach who got to 5 NFC championship games. He just wasn't lucky enough to make it to the finish line. Not saying Jerry Kill is on that level, but you can see my point.

I get your point, but didn't the Eagles make the Super Bowl at the end of the 2004 season? Was it expunged for having T.O. on the team?

You make some fair points. But I'm not sure you can say he was outcoached against Wisky and not give him credit for 2 of the big games that made that one relevant: Iowa and Nebraska.

The state of Minnesota has produced 15, 11, and 25 Division I football signees in the last 3 recruiting cycles.

Yeah but come on, you know what he meant. Only 4 players from this state were good enough for gopher offers this year, 5 last year and 4 in 2013.

Bowl wins schmowl wins. Bo Schembechler piled up 2 Rose Bowl wins in 10 appearances. Disappointing for players and fans yes. But history says bowl results do not dramatically affect a program's reputation or recruiting one way or another.

Just a question....of those how many have Big Ten, SEC or Pac 12 offers? More what I'm alluding to...guys we offer. Thanks die hard...didn't see your post.

This style of football can get you from bad to good, can it get you farther than 8 wins? And is the staff able to catch up to the times offensively at this level? I'm not saying Kill should get fired, not at all. I guess what I'm thinking is all this talk about Kill leaving and how he has all this leverage.... if he took the Kansas job and Craig Bohl (winner of 3 FCS national championships coming right from D2) were to have become our coach; I think I'd be a lot more confident in Craig Bohl taking this team and making them into something more than I am about Kill's staff taking the next step after cleaning up Brew's mess. And I wouldn't give a second thought about making a trade like that.

yeah, I'm pretty disappointed Kill has failed at all his bowl games in Minnesota now, and I feel coaching was a huge part of the outcome of this bowl. The fake punt and the onside kick were examples of Jerry being outcoached. I think those two only resulted in 6 points for Mizzou, but who knows how many points it prevented the Gophers from getting. Penalties also is usually a telling stat for coaching, Gophers had 6 for 45 yards, while Mizzou had 2 for 15.

Is Jerry a good coach? I absolutely think he is, I just think he should be known for a program builder and talent evaluator rather than an in-game decision maker.

No argument with that. But guys with all three qualities are quite rare.

For the posters saying Kill can't win big games, what exactly do you consider a "big game"? IMO, these were the big games this year:

@ TCU - Loss
vs Iowa - Win
vs OSU - Loss
@ Neb - Win
@ Wisc - Loss
vs Miss - Loss

He was 2-4 in what I would call "big games" this year. We were double digit underdogs against TCU, OSU, and Wisconsin. There was a pretty recognizable talent gap in those 3 games. I really don't think you can blame poor in-game coaching to any of those losses. The only loss of the 4 above I'm disappointed with in regards to coaching is the game today. I think an argument can be made to be concerned with how this coaching staff handles bowl games. To say Kill is a bad "big game" coach is a stretch though, IMO.

For the posters saying Kill can't win big games, what exactly do you consider a "big game"? IMO, these were the big games this year:

@ TCU - Loss
vs Iowa - Win
vs OSU - Loss
@ Neb - Win
@ Wisc - Loss
vs Miss - Loss

He was 2-4 in what I would call "big games" this year. We were double digit underdogs against TCU, OSU, and Wisconsin. There was a pretty recognizable talent gap in those 3 games. I really don't think you can blame poor in-game coaching to any of those losses. The only loss of the 4 above I'm disappointed with in regards to coaching is the game today. I think an argument can be made to be concerned with how this coaching staff handles bowl games. To say Kill is a bad "big game" coach is a stretch though, IMO.

I believe he used big game to refer to FCS postseason and BCS bowl games.

This style of football can get you from bad to good, can it get you farther than 8 wins? And is the staff able to catch up to the times offensively at this level? I'm not saying Kill should get fired, not at all. I guess what I'm thinking is all this talk about Kill leaving and how he has all this leverage.... if he took the Kansas job and Craig Bohl (winner of 3 FCS national championships coming right from D2) were to have become our coach; I think I'd be a lot more confident in Craig Bohl taking this team and making them into something more than I am about Kill's staff taking the next step after cleaning up Brew's mess. And I wouldn't give a second thought about making a trade like that.

If Jerry Kill left, I too would be intrigued by Craig Bohl. Just know we are getting better each year. Let's see what happens.
Building a program is absolutely a different talent than sustaining one. I believe we are still building and Jerry is pretty good at that.

Maybe Jerry is a 5-3 coach in the conference.

Fine with me.

I'll take that every year....forever.

Studwell, the BIG won't be this down for a while. Michigan and Penn St will soon be back to normal. 5 wins should be a rarity playing this type of football. Have to play to win, can't rely on bad teams folding in future, IMO.

Well said. And to add winning at Nebraska and at Michigan are always going to be big wins.Beating Iowa 51-14 will also help in recruiting battles and securing the border.

Studwell, the BIG won't be this down for a while. Michigan and Penn St will soon be back to normal. 5 wins should be a rarity playing this type of football. Have to play to win, can't rely on bad teams folding in future, IMO.

Michigan and PSU are in the east. Were competing with Iowa wisco and nebby. Besides Craig bohl is really doing wonders with Wyoming lol. Hard pass.

Teams we will rarely play...

A matchup with the SEC west champ 4 years ago wouldn't even have been competitive enough to consider it a big game. At the end of the day, we lost, but we are trending towards a bigger stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A matchup with the SEC west champ 4 years ago wouldn't even have been competitive enough to consider it a big game. At the end of the day, we lost, but we are trending towards a bigger stage.

Not a big deal but I've seen several people post this. Missouri plays in the SEC East. When A&M and Missouri joined, they just put one in the east and one in the west instead of moving two existing schools to the east.

Not a big deal but I've seen several people post this. Missouri plays in the SEC East. When A&M and Missouri joined, they just put one in the east and one in the west instead of moving two existing schools to the east.

Good catch, I just read it in a recap and came here to edit it. I meant to specify which SEC division because it's clear that they aren't the class of the whole SEC. Regardless, I'm proud to have my team compete on Jan 1st against a ranked opponent!

But teams that will be good and picked ahead of us for bowls.

So what's your frick'n solution? Fire Kill? Take away his coach of the year honors? Publicly humiliate him at the next regent's meeting? Let you become his number one assistant? This BS gets old with all the bitching, pissing, and moaning after a loss by guys that have no real clue. The big point is that the program is trending the right way. Until it goes backward or stagnates, most fans will back Jerry Kill. And no, don't give the old, "Settling for mediocrity sh*t either." That's just an excuse for rationalizing your bitching and negativity.

So what's your frick'n solution? Fire Kill? Take away his coach of the year honors? Publicly humiliate him at the next regent's meeting? Let you become his number one assistant? This BS gets old with all the bitching, pissing, and moaning after a loss by guys that have no real clue. The big point is that the program is trending the right way. Until it goes backward or stagnates, most fans will back Jerry Kill. And no, don't give the old, "Settling for mediocrity sh*t either." That's just an excuse for rationalizing your bitching and negativity.

+1000

Top Bottom