What is the biggest comeback in school history?

WilliamsArenaGuy

Reaction score
Just curious as 23 points is a pretty big deal. What are the bigger ones?

Great question. I have no idea. However, the largest comeback in Big Ten history per an article I found from 2018 was MSU coming from 27 behind to beat NW 65-60.

NW was ahead 43-16, meaning that MSU outscored them 49-17 the rest of the way!

IIRC the 97 team came back from a double digit deficit against Indiana with just over a minute to play to force OT and win in Bloomington IN. Not the biggest comeback maybe but definitely the most exciting!
Brandon Johnson going unconscious from 3 against Iowa on Christmas 2020, and Jamison Battle and Dawson Garcia hitting multiple 3's against Rutgers last year. I think in both of those we came back from 10+ down with a minute or a minute and a half to go.

The comeback against Penn State didn't feel that crazy to me. Penn State was hitting everything from 3, and Garcia was on the bench with foul trouble. Those two factors changed in the second half and we won, and I wasn't super surprised by it.

Of course earlier this season we came back from I think 17 point deficits against Nebraska and Penn State. I'm struggling to think of any other big comebacks, not to say they've never happened. I'd have to wonder when the last time was that we won so many games where we trailed at halftime though.

If we're talking late comebacks, Indiana in 97 is a good one, but nothing could top Indiana at Williams Arena in (I think) 2001. We were down 13 with 3:00 to go. That comeback was absolutely insane.

But I'm still looking for the biggest overall comeback ever.

Was curious of the same thing on Saturday- couldn't remember a larger comeback in Barn (or program) history.

I think this past Saturday's 23 point comeback win against PSU is the largest in not only barn history, but the entire Gopher program. Now unless I am reading this wrong (and I do not always take everything written on Wikipedia as gospel), this Wiki web page indicates that the 23 point comeback is tied for 6th all-time in the NCAA, second largest in the B1G. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comeback_(sports)

I think this past Saturday's 23 point comeback win against PSU is the largest in not only barn history, but the entire Gopher program. Now unless I am reading this wrong (and I do not always take everything written on Wikipedia as gospel), this Wiki web page indicates that the 23 point comeback is tied for 6th all-time in the NCAA, second largest in the B1G. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comeback_(sports)
That’s crazy. How has that not been brought up yet?

why!!!!! thanks for reminding us about that bowl game vs TCU. damn wiki page

Crazy that 23 points is the record. We gave up leads of 20 points twice this year against Iowa and Missouri.

A little internet sleuthing revealed this official PDF from the NCAA for 22-23 season. If you look on page 48 it shows "Deficit Overcome to Win Game" list. It looks like our 23 point deficit is tied for 35th all time and also that the game should be our greatest comeback of all-time as we are not listed elsewhere on that same list.

1709650573593.png

LINK for the PDF

If you are bored you can do a search on "Minnesota". We show up 118 times - good, bad, and ugly.

Last edited:

If we're talking late comebacks, Indiana in 97 is a good one, but nothing could top Indiana at Williams Arena in (I think) 2001. We were down 13 with 3:00 to go. That comeback was absolutely insane.

But I'm still looking for the biggest overall comeback ever.

A little internet sleuthing revealed this official PDF from the NCAA for 22-23 season. If you look on page 48 it shows "Deficit Overcome to Win Game" list. It looks like our 23 point deficit is tied for 35th all time and also that the game should be our greatest comeback of all-time as we are not listed elsewhere on that same list.

View attachment 30407

LINK for the PDF

If you are bored you can do a search on "Minnesota". We show up 118 times - good, bad, and ugly.
Pretty amazing that Fuller or none of the local scribes bothered to dig on this and point it out.

Actually...considering the quality of their coverage, perhaps it's not amazing at all.

I was at that one. I remember celebrating post game at Stub & Herbs with unbridled optimism at the potential of the Monson era with Rickert's arrival on the horizon.
Visions and hopes can be altered very quickly.

Pretty amazing that Fuller or none of the local scribes bothered to dig on this and point it out.

Actually...considering the quality of their coverage, perhaps it's not amazing at all.
Was about to say.....local media not digging when their is no controversy involved is the least surprising part.

Local media more willing to dig if it means any local team can be made to look bad or embarrassed. Bad news sells! Good news - meh.

Bad on the media not to catch this one. Leave it to a GHer to come up with the goods. Now, let’s see who in the media reports it and if they have the honesty to credit this site!

Cheap shot. Marcus is very much a Minnesota booster, perhaps to his detriment.

Top Bottom