What is on3.com?

to answer the question in the OP:

on3 is another site that offers recruiting news, analysis and ratings.

you can use it or not.

I honestly can't say whether 247 or Rivals or ESPN or on3 is the "best" service or has the most accurate ratings.

But - if I was cynical - I would say that people will cherry-pick the sites and go with the one that gives "their" team the highest ratings.

The heart of these sites is the individual talent. Connections to recruits and recruiters, and the talent of analysis.

The site could be called bibbitybloobityblam .com , and it would be the same as all the others, but the quality of the content comes directly down to individual talent.

I just heard Reusse say that on3 is his go-to site for recruiting info, so it's got that going for it. (He said they don't automatically rate everyone at least a three-star.)

I’m very surprised that as part of the merger terms that CBS and Yahoo didn’t ask for a non-compete provision
I'm sure they did (and probably and earn-out period as well), but it's probably no coincidence that it's been a few years since the sale and on3 is just getting spun up.

So the main thing appears to be their database. That seems to be the only actual "innovation" they bring to the table.

Otherwise, I would just think of them as a copycat and then not sure why they would do better than 247.

On3 also hopes to transform a stale industry with a revolutionary database ("On3 db") designed not only with fans and media in mind, but also players and coaches. "On3 db" will do more than just display photos, videos and rankings; it will allow players to upload their own content to the pages; provide NIL data directly to players, fans and coaches; and house an exclusive education section for players and their parents, among other features. On3 recently announced the hiring of Grant Frerking, a current University of Tennessee football player and entrepreneur, to lead the company's NIL education efforts.

"We see these three components — national news from respected and seasoned writers, local team sites that provide comprehensive coverage, and a next-gen player database — as core to what college sports fans want and deserve," Terry said. "I'm happy today is finally here, but there is so much more to come. I think college sports fans are going to eat this up."

So the main thing appears to be their database. That seems to be the only actual "innovation" they bring to the table.

Otherwise, I would just think of them as a copycat and then not sure why they would do better than 247.

On3 also hopes to transform a stale industry with a revolutionary database ("On3 db") designed not only with fans and media in mind, but also players and coaches. "On3 db" will do more than just display photos, videos and rankings; it will allow players to upload their own content to the pages; provide NIL data directly to players, fans and coaches; and house an exclusive education section for players and their parents, among other features. On3 recently announced the hiring of Grant Frerking, a current University of Tennessee football player and entrepreneur, to lead the company's NIL education efforts.

"We see these three components — national news from respected and seasoned writers, local team sites that provide comprehensive coverage, and a next-gen player database — as core to what college sports fans want and deserve," Terry said. "I'm happy today is finally here, but there is so much more to come. I think college sports fans are going to eat this up."
Sounds like they are trying to just combine hudl with 24/7.

I like 247 because of their interface and that has been my go-to site for a very long time; however, I just checked out on3.com and must say I am impressed with how things are laid out. A lot of similarities with 247 but much better, I think. They also show a players comparative rankings with all the other recruiting websites.
I'll continue to visit...as long as what I want to see is free. I'll never pay for content like in-depth articles, interviews, breaking news, etc....I can get all of that plus fair, accurate, highly informative, cordial, unbiased commentary and opinions right here on GopherHole!

to answer the question in the OP:

on3 is another site that offers recruiting news, analysis and ratings.

you can use it or not.

I honestly can't say whether 247 or Rivals or ESPN or on3 is the "best" service or has the most accurate ratings.

But - if I was cynical - I would say that people will cherry-pick the sites and go with the one that gives "their" team the highest ratings.
Out of those four I would say 247 the gold standard. ESPN pretty much non existent after their playoffs and 247 pretty much picked everyone off from Rivals. On3 still pretty new but its probably second beat by default. Only thing negative I'll say about 247 is the composite is now irrelevant. Maybe it will matter some more if on3 can build into something. Once ESPN stopped trying. 247 bought Scout and hired away everyone good rivals, composite is no longer relevant

Out of those four I would say 247 the gold standard. ESPN pretty much non existent after their playoffs and 247 pretty much picked everyone off from Rivals. On3 still pretty new but its probably second beat by default. Only thing negative I'll say about 247 is the composite is now irrelevant. Maybe it will matter some more if on3 can build into something. Once ESPN stopped trying. 247 bought Scout and hired away everyone good rivals, composite is no longer relevant
Bolded: why is that a knock on 247? They have their own ranking, which is the default. The composite is only a convenience to compare to other sites.

I only ever look at 247's own rating. If I wanted to know what other sites' ratings were .... I'd go to those sites.

Interesting to look at on3.com and see what is shows for MN kids. It shows Daniel Freitag as a 100% prediction to MN for football. Has anyone seen if he is now a football lean over basketball?

247 is all basketball for him.

Bolded: why is that a knock on 247? They have their own ranking, which is the default. The composite is only a convenience to compare to other sites.

I only ever look at 247's own rating. If I wanted to know what other sites' ratings were .... I'd go to those sites.
Wouldn't say it's a hue knock and I get it as that was how they stood out in their original business model so there might be some trepidation on moving away from that. I just think 247 is clearly tops in that industry and because blowing everyone else out of the water now they're making the composite irrelevant. Don't have to get rid of it just showcase their own individual rankings and team rankings as they're by far the most reliable now.

Top Bottom