What is next?: Gophers basketball offseason preview | Gopherhole

Kerwin and Dawson can shoot. PG? Michigan has had success with mid major grad transfer PGs

A veteran point guard is a massive need for this team heading into the offseason. If Johnson and his staff are able to add a PG that has starting experience from the transfer portal, I personally believe that this roster has the floor of being a bubble-ish team next season. Anything after that will only raise its ceiling.

I think this is quite optimistic to say the least.

All we need is. Veteran PG and we’re basically a tournament team…?

From the story:

"Braeden Carrington...but will likely be asked to play with the balls in his hands a lot next season."

Is he going to be the next Davison?
F**k! Read this yesterday and thought, "what the hell does Unregistered mean?!"
Damn, that is funny!

I have maroon colored glasses as much as the next guy but not sure they can make the tournament next year. It’s an incredibly tough conference. The difference between having a good record or not can be incredibly small.

I have maroon colored glasses as much as the next guy but not sure they can make the tournament next year. It’s an incredibly tough conference. The difference between having a good record or not can be incredibly small.
I'm easily influenced to think good things are going to happen. When I saw the Penn State-Ohio State score, just made me a believer again. Already excited for next year.

We don't have a ton coming back so the prediction is kind of strange.

I agree, if we add multiple shooters and a really good PG, we'll be much better. I think you could probably say that about most teams.

We don't have a ton coming back so the prediction is kind of strange.

I agree, if we add multiple shooters and a really good PG, we'll be much better. I think you could probably say that about most teams.

One thing Ben demonstrated this year is that you could take experienced players who are not labeled as "point guards" and still have effective point guard play. The announcers said that Willis had never played point guard prior to this season and Loewe didn't come here with the point guard label.

Yes, given that Thiam is the only returning true guard (assuming he returns at all). We do have two freshman guards coming in and I'm reasonably confident that they'll be better than this year's freshman guard (who wasn't a true freshman anyway). Probably need three guards from the portal.

Same page. We are losing 4/5 starters, and 2 bench guys. A PG away? We are a two guards, and a transfer big away, and just about every team can say that. Over half of our roster hasn't played for Ben yet.

EDIT: Yeah just read it after I posted and to say JOJ can start and Henley could redshirt is kind of wild

If BJ can find guards in the portal on par with the ones he brought in for this season this absolutely could be a tournament team as early as next year.

Front court depth will be significantly better next season and if TT can pack on some pounds in the off season he might be ready for a much bigger role next year.

The portal will be the x-factor in how this team does next year. Last year the focus in the portal was clearly on 1 year guys in order to leave flexibility for the 22 class. Won't be surprised to see them target more multi-year guys this time around. Then it will just come down to how many they can land and what kind of impact they have.

While I think with the right transfers they can take a big leap next year, we may have to pump the brakes on some of his statements. He has Ola-Joseph listed as a guard and says Fox has all Big Ten potential and if he’s expecting much from Thiam his maroon colored glasses are a lot thicker than mine. Although I’ll say that optimism for the next season is pretty much all that keeps Minnesota sports fans going.

I don't really even know what I read there.

We have a bunch of spots to fill, so any type of prediction at this point is utterly pointless.

Also, Carrington is not gonna be the starting PG, I'll be shocked if JOJ starts a game next year, etc.

Feel free to skip this "preview".

Also, Carrington is not gonna be the starting PG, I'll be shocked if JOJ starts a game next year, etc.

Feel free to skip this "preview".

I don't follow local high school sports so I knew nothing about Ola-Joseph when he committed. I did watch him recently on a 10 minute highlight film of an Arizona Compass Prep game with another national prep. He came off the bench in the game but Compass Prep is a very good team with great speed so playing there for a year gave him a valuable dose of two things that are very helpful for an entering freshman:

1) Playing with and against much better competition; and
2) Knowing what it's like to be a supporting rotational player.

He does appear to be a player with some size and heft and probably could help us in spots next year.

Top Bottom