What is Maturi's Legacy? (Fair and Balanced)

Yeah ron johnson super fan. When an ad fires a sub-standard coach like Mason who had a .40 winning percentage in Big Ten play and then follows that up with one who promptly goes 0-8 in Big Ten play and eventually is fired mid-season when the "replacement coach" has compiled a 6-21 Big Ten record (.222) that ad ought to be run out of town in the dead of night.

But, I am here to "bury" the nightmare of the macturi era...That is ALL I have to say. Some of you people can try to "say" what you would like others to think I would "say" about the situation...the Big Ten football record is what got macturi in the end...that, and the fact that he is 67 years old and he needed to be shown the door...

That's all fans...that's all I have to say for this lovely evening. Good night ron johnson super fan where ever you may be...

; 0 )

Good night Wren. Hope you have an enjoyable evening.

Yeah ron johnson super fan. When an ad fires a sub-standard coach like Mason who had a .40 winning percentage in Big Ten play and then follows that up with one who promptly goes 0-8 in Big Ten play and eventually is fired mid-season when the "replacement coach" has compiled a 6-21 Big Ten record (.222) that ad ought to be run out of town in the dead of night.

But, I am here to "bury" the nightmare of the macturi era...That is ALL I have to say. Some of you people can try to "say" what you would like others to think I would "say" about the situation...the Big Ten football record is what got macturi in the end...that, and the fact that he is 67 years old and he needed to be shown the door...

That's all fans...that's all I have to say for this lovely evening. Good night ron johnson super fan where ever you may be...

; 0 )

Wow, I can't believe you called Mason a sub-standard football coach! Very happy I actually read this post. As for Zambam's post, EVERYONE should be mad to the point at frothing at the mouth at the level of "success" Gopher football and basketball has had over the past ten years. One of the main reasons Minnesota sports suck is too many fans who are willing to accept such poor performance. It's only when the program reaches absolute rock bottom (starting out a season 0-5 in the Big Ten in Mason's case, losing to Dakota Tech and NIU in Brewster's case, losing to Marist in Monson's case) that there's a change made. Guess what? When you let things hit rock bottom, it's much harder to turn things around.

RodentRampage said:
More people care about the non-revenue sports than flip out because the AD mentions the non-revenue sports.

I disagree.

The good: No huge scandals on his watch. TCF. Merging the programs.

The bad: Couple of bad coaching hires and terrible buy-outs.

I can understand people like particularly liking his leadership style or his decisions, but I've never quite understood the venom that gets tossed his way.

I don't hate Maturi the way some on here do but I am glad he is not being renewed. He did very well with the extremely tough task of merging the athletic departments. He definitely made some mistakes during his time here and I am sure if he could go back and do it over he would make some different decisions on some key issues.

My only hope in all this is that the new AD comes in and makes some pretty major changes to how things are done over there. Maturi did most of the hard work on merging the departments but there is still some lingering overlap and there are other areas where things could be done so much more efficiently.

(1) The fact is none of us know what his job description is.

(2) TCF was a stroke of improbable good luck. Had it not been built before the financial meltdown, we'd be waiting 20 more years--minimum.

(3) Joel did not have what it takes to be a great AD. He was burdened by the fact that he was honest and an adult.

The criticism of Maturi for the lack of success in basketball and hockey is totally unwarranted. Tubby and Lucia deserve 100% of the blame.
So you are saying Haskins and Munson were not to blame? IMO, all three coaches are to blame for the problems with Gopher basketball. That sport was a mess for years.

Maturi deserves most of the credit for the successful merging of the Men's and Women's Athletic's Departments after the absolutely disastrous situation that existed before he was hired.
Chris Voelz enough said.

Maturi swung and missed on the Brewster hire. It will follow him to his grave.
Unless Kill wins.

Top Bottom