What is going on with all of our scholarships?

RaT

Reaction score
With all of these new commitments, it is really making me start to believe that Coach knows something that we don't.

-Either some are not going to qualify academically.
-Some may de-commit.
-Maybe he knows our local recruiting prospects have said no and are saying the Gophs are still in the mix because Brew asked them to. Or maybe he has moved on from them altogether.

It makes you wonder. Why is Nelson visitng with his CB teammate(whom I am sure would be offered a scholly if Nelson commited) this weekend when are spots appear to be extremely limited.

Add to the fact, some here think there is still another verbal floating around that has yet to be verified.

Things are getting very interested.

He does seem a little agressive with so few spots. I will say that he's had gray shirts every year so far, so going over the limit is probably likely.

Makes me wonder if one of our CB recruits is not going to qualify.

First we bring in a JUCO CB, then Bouie graduates early to enroll for the next semester. Now we bring in another CB this weekend for a visit.

never forget Brewster's method of madness. Recruit speed and some will develop size and get moved into other spots such as safety and LB. This is how he gets speed into areas not noted for speed, and why he red shirts. You can bet one or two of those guys ends up at FS or even nickle by the time they've graduated similar to Collado and theret. The Jucos are just for depth, even though they might start, they push the intended starter to two deep which keeps the freshmen where they should be, on the side line.

I guess you take the ones that are willing to commit. My guess is that it is a first come situation with the exception of Henderson.

This seems like a reletively strong class. Good variety in the player positions that have committed. The one thing missing is a defensive end.

Very true. Not really arguing that.

We can only bring in so many guys though. That is the real issue.

Plus, I noticed that this CB ran a 4.8 at a Dallas combine. So not very fast.

I certainly hope that Brewster is aware of the academic status of his recruits. Juding by their level of awareness of their players, I think that's a given.

That said, I don't think it's necessarily a matter of them knowing something per se, but rather the fact that every single year there are de-committs (we've already had, what, four?) and guys that don't qualify academically. A lot of schools go a few over the limit and gray shirt accordingly if they don't need those fall back scholarships.

I guess you take the ones that are willing to commit. My guess is that it is a first come situation with the exception of Henderson.

This seems like a reletively strong class. Good variety in the player positions that have committed. The one thing missing is a defensive end.

I noticed that and it would be nice to get that kid from Colorado, but we were pretty deep at DE last year (Garin, Hageman, KGM) and Wilhite was a frosh. as well.

The one thing missing is a defensive end.

Did we ever have a real shot at Tobi Okuyemi? It would have been nice to sign the home state 3 star DE. I don't recall very much discussion here about him and he didn't sign with Nebraska until November 8th.

Did we ever have a real shot at Tobi Okuyemi? It would have been nice to sign the home state 3 star DE. I don't recall very much discussion here about him and he didn't sign with Nebraska until November 8th.

Most signs point to no.

There are some definite academic red flag athletes that we have committed in this class, with James Manuel the safety being the first to come to mind, so it only makes sense. Plus, Corey Nelson is a guy you make room for. Who would you rather have: Tatum or Nelson committed as a linebacker prospect for the next class? .... this is a cutt-throat business in some aspects.

While my answer is yes I would, I would hope that my favorite squad would have a little more integrity than that.

It would be nice if the U would honor players who commit to them, even though they might not always honor that same commit in return.

Top Bottom