What is Causing this?

I also think that a ton of schools want to look in good coaches that they can have stability with. They know a 12 team playoff is coming and they want to be in the mix every year.

The focus will always be on the top handful of coaches making stupid money but I won't be surprised to see a lot more guys opting for the Fitzgerald, Ferentz, Chryst path of staying put at a power 5 school, making great money without the insane expectations that will come with these massive contracts.

I could see Fleck being one of those guys as well. Seeing the big picture as opposed to just the $$$ and prestige.

I think your first paragraph describes the majority of coaches and that's not an emerging trend; once people achieve the top tiers of their profession (or, in many cases, what they believe is their personal top tier), most of them become risk averse, especially if they are older.

Has Fleck reached that point in his mind? I don't know. We'll have to wait and see. If he continues to be acceptably successful, I think the university will do whatever it can within reasonable boundaries to retain him. It's not so easy to carve out a Ferentz type of career with a similar combo of longevity and success though. Also, Fleck is still pretty young for a man in his current station so it wouldn't be surprising if he didn't have that "last job" mentality.

He said the program is elite. Trademark infringement? LSU can send his buyout directly to MN to settle that out of court...
Funny how that word has now become commonplace in sports lexicon due to a bald, smallish, overly energetic 40 year old 🤔

These two deals are very bad for Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC and LSU. So, I suppose that means they are good for everyone else. As long as everyone else avoids the trap.

Paying a HC record-breaking money to move rarely translates to results on the field. It’s a very costly mistake at least 9x/10.

It’s funny how sports have increasingly relied on data and analytics for the smallest of decisions. But something huge like this, ADs just hurl turds around like monkeys and defy the statistics.

My take on the changes:

Stage 1: Realignment - first stage as it creates a dominant P5 that make it challenging for those outside of it to compete for a national championship (at least before Cincinnati).
Stage 2: NIL - having a program on a national stage brings in national dollars. Having a has been program does not. You can't compete if your market is we will give you a scholarship vs. we will give you a scholarship and put millions in your bank accounts.
Stage 3: Potential 12 team playoff - 12 teams means there is more room at the top, but those at the top want to be a part of the party more years than not. It means the bar has been raised for top programs.
Stage 4: The whispers of one big leagues when Texas and OK went to SEC. AD's concerned about a super league forming and don't want to be programs left out if that transpires.

All this uncertainty is leading to people taking huge risks with the money they have in hopes of being nationally prominent. I don't blame USC for taking a big swing to become nationally relevant again. LSU missed the mark in my mind and it will end up biting them in the but big time.

I think Fleck has got to be thinking if things continue to unfold they way they are it will actually give MN a better shot, not worse, at making a national championship run. Water down the top 4 and 5 star athletes to more schools and the teams that recruit well and develop will have a better shot at making a run.

These two deals are very bad for Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC and LSU. So, I suppose that means they are good for everyone else. As long as everyone else avoids the trap.

Paying a HC record-breaking money to move rarely translates to results on the field. It’s a very costly mistake at least 9x/10.

It’s funny how sports have increasingly relied on data and analytics for the smallest of decisions. But something huge like this, ADs just hurl turds around like monkeys and defy the statistics.
Once again, AD's aren't paying these monster salaries. Sugar daddy boosters are. This is their toy.

Brian Kelly is a far more certain hire than Lincoln Riley.

Brian Kelly has been successful everywhere he has been..Grand Valley State, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Notre Dame...he wins. He'll win at LSU. Will he surpass Saban? Who knows?

Lincoln Riley was handed a CFP level program and simply didn't send it downward for a few years. His success is likely predicated on finding just the right QB at USC and making a system around him.

Riley could be at USC much longer than Kelly at LSU, but he's also much more likely to suck and get fired on a tarmac.

Once again, AD's aren't paying these monster salaries. Sugar daddy boosters are. This is their toy.

Yeah well sooner or later that will dry up too. Boosters have their breaking points just like everyone else.

Yeah well sooner or later that will dry up too. Boosters have their breaking points just like everyone else.
It is called an economic downturn. In 2020 we inflated the total amount of American papers dollars in circ by 27%. Everyone is rich! Until the downturn…and this one is gonna be a thumper.

I agree with that
He is the big 12s Ryan day

It is called an economic downturn. In 2020 we inflated the total amount of American papers dollars in circ by 27%. Everyone is rich! Until the downturn…and this one is gonna be a thumper.
I'm talking about the ultra wealthy. Guys like the late T. Boone Pickens.

Mr. Pickens was a record-setting philanthropist. His $165 million gift to Oklahoma State in 2005 was the single largest gift for athletics in NCAA history, and his $7 million donation to the American Red Cross in 2005 was the largest individual contribution that organization had received. His unprecedented giving to athletics triggered a renaissance in OSU’s football program and was a key factor in its first Big 12 championship in 2011 and its first BCS Bowl win in the Fiesta Bowl matchup with Stanford in 2012.

On May 21, 2008, Pickens gave $100 million to endow major faculty chairs and professorships at OSU. The School of Geology already had his name from previous gifts.

Over the years, Pickens has donated $652 million to Oklahoma State, split virtually equally between athletics and academics. Supported by that 2005 gift, Pickens and OSU athletic director Mike Holder began acquiring the land that now houses OSU’s sparkling Athletic Village, which includes the Sherman Smith Training Center, the Michael and Anne Greenwood Tennis Center, O’Brate Stadium for baseball and the university’s track and field facility.

This coach doesn't like early signing period and looks like the NCAA is looking at it.

This coach doesn't like early signing period and looks like the NCAA is looking at it.
Yeah. It really puts pressure on athletes and coaches…and it really hurts “late bloomers”

Sounds like the main gripe is the acceleration of the hiring and firing season because of early signing day.

I would think the transfer portal would be a bigger issue than ESD but who knows. At this point ESD and the old signing day really aren't that far apart anyway so not sure I see a massive issue.

Sounds like the main gripe is the acceleration of the hiring and firing season because of early signing day.

I would think the transfer portal would be a bigger issue than ESD but who knows. At this point ESD and the old signing day really aren't that far apart anyway so not sure I see a massive issue.
I mean ESD is before the end of the season and signing day is after.

Signing day should be 2 weeks after the end of the last game so kids know who they are signing up to play for

I mean ESD is before the end of the season and signing day is after.

Signing day should be 2 weeks after the end of the last game so kids know who they are signing up to play for
Just start it in January after the last game and let it run through the typical time in April. No need for two separate periods of signing in football. Kids can still early enroll like they used to prior to signing day.

Just start it in January after the last game and let it run through the typical time in April. No need for two separate periods of signing in football. Kids can still early enroll like they used to prior to signing day.
Yeah I don’t really understand it. I honestly would like to see signing day moved back to decision day (May 1)

not sure why we make athletes make decisions faster than regular kids for the sake of coaches

Yeah I don’t really understand it. I honestly would like to see signing day moved back to decision day (May 1)

not sure why we make athletes make decisions faster than regular kids for the sake of coaches
I think it has to do with kids graduating early and then enrolling early. Most D1 football players arrive in June at the school they are attending.

I think it has to do with kids graduating early and then enrolling early. Most D1 football players arrive in June at the school they are attending.
Yeah, May 1 would be too late because it would cause issues for guys getting to campus for spring ball.

If they want to have one signing day then split the difference and move it to shortly after the National Championship game. While I don't have a real issue with the ESD it is kind of odd to have the two signing days so close together.

Basketball has the early one in November and the regular one in April so there is a decent amount of time between the two.

Top Bottom