What is acceptable?

mcrow

Reaction score
What kind of season do the Gophers need to have for the Brewster hate to stop?

IMO, nothing short of Rose Bowl will shut up a lot of the haters. IMO, we need to go 6-6 or better or I have to start leaning toward it being a big mistake to hire him.

This is the 4th season, we should start seeing the results of the better recruiting.

Personally, I think it's an uphill battle for them to get 6 wins this season given the schedule. However, if they did make it to 6-6 it would show a solid step forward for the program.

You have to take into consideration the general lack of Gopher knowledge in the region from our own fan base. If the fans were generally informed about the Gophers, your prediction of 6-6 or maybe even 5-7 would be enough. But, this is Minnesota. So I would say they'd have to go 10-2 (unless both losses were to Wisciowa... then people would still say he is a loser).

Let's wait and see, too many people want to complain about losses we haven't had yet.

Let's wait and see, too many people want to complain about losses we haven't had yet.

I'm amazed at the number of people who have already written off the Northwestern and Mich St games as losses. All some people will ever see in Brewster is 1-11 and 55-0.

You have to take into consideration the general lack of Gopher knowledge in the region from our own fan base. If the fans were generally informed about the Gophers, your prediction of 6-6 or maybe even 5-7 would be enough. But, this is Minnesota. So I would say they'd have to go 10-2 (unless both losses were to Wisciowa... then people would still say he is a loser).

I agree. Most will expect much more than they could really deliver. Given the schedule and where the program was last season 5-7 or 6-6 wouldn't look like an improvement, on the surface. IMO, 6-6 would show we are heading the right direction, 5-7 wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm amazed at the number of people who have already written off the Northwestern and Mich St games as losses. All some people will ever see in Brewster is 1-11 and 55-0.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I have both as favorites over the Gophers but I think they are within reach.

I'm not sure there is an outcome that would satisfy the critics.

The only thing that really matters is if the program continues to improve. In a twelve game season the worst measuring stick is the record. The best is the eyeball.

I'm not sure there is an outcome that would satisfy the critics.

The only thing that really matters is if the program continues to improve. In a twelve game season the worst measuring stick is the record. The best is the eyeball.

True to a point but if they only win 3-4 games, that's a disappointment no matter what the eyballs say.

I think 6-6 is very acceptable. Shows growth, one of those games will have to have been against a decent opponent. Beating Bucky or Iowa would probably shut a lot of people up.

Minnesota beat BOTH of those teams last year. The Gophers have taken 3 straight and 6 of 8 from Sparty. Gophers are 5-4 against Northwestern. Gophers beat BOTH again this year.

13019-ALCOHOL-An_acceptable_aphrodisiac.jpg

Easy:

6-6 with a bowl win Brewster definitely stays

6-6 with a trophy win, bowl result doesn't matter, he stays.

5-7: needs a trophy win and he's got a chance. (that's the counter-intuitive part. 5-7 with losses against 'better' opponents is worse than 5-7 with an upset victory in a big game).

any worse and he's gone.

Basically, I guess you can sum it up as: If the team finishes above .500, he's obviously is (and should be) safe. .500 or below, and it'll come down to whether he's given the fans something to really feel good about: trophy win or bowl game.

Easy:

6-6 with a bowl win Brewster definitely stays

6-6 with a trophy win, bowl result doesn't matter, he stays.

5-7: needs a trophy win and he's got a chance. (that's the counter-intuitive part. 5-7 with losses against 'better' opponents is worse than 5-7 with an upset victory in a big game).

any worse and he's gone.

Basically, I guess you can sum it up as: If the team finishes above .500, he's obviously is (and should be) safe. .500 or below, and it'll come down to whether he's given the fans something to really feel good about: trophy win or bowl game.

This.

I've honestly already written off a bowl game (just can't see wins against PSU, OSU, or USC), but a trophy game or two and, to me, this year was a success, considering the circumstances.

True to a point but if they only win 3-4 games, that's a disappointment no matter what the eyballs say.

I am willing to bet when Brewster has hired that if this questions was asked if 3-4 wins would be acceptable in year 4 no matter what the eyeball test is the vast majority of this board would have said he should be fired no matter what.

5-7 probably gets him another year. anything less he might be out.

The problem he has IMO was he is known as a recruiter. Recruiting has regressed every year according to the rankings. I know some on here think recruiting rankings don't mean anything and now the program is recruiting "program" guys but I also believe everyone thought recruiting rankings meant something when Brewster's first class was ranked 17th overall.

I don't see the point in getting rid of Brewster unless there's a major, top flight head coach willing to come here. Otherwise I feel like we'll just go into the 3-5 year "rebuilding mode" again.

Minnesota beat BOTH of those teams last year. The Gophers have taken 3 straight and 6 of 8 from Sparty. Gophers are 5-4 against Northwestern. Gophers beat BOTH again this year.

Exactly why I don't understand why so many believe those games are sure losses.

If Brewster ever takes us to the Rose Bowl, the first line of every article will be:
"Tim Brewster, who went 1-11 in his first year and once lost 55-0 to Iowa......"

I am willing to bet when Brewster has hired that if this questions was asked if 3-4 wins would be acceptable in year 4 no matter what the eyeball test is the vast majority of this board would have said he should be fired no matter what.

I don't get this argument, although it comes up quite a bit. Yes a lot of us didn't anticipate, nor have been happy with, the staff turnover slow finishes to seasons etc. But just because life doesn't go as you drew it out you bail?? It is called adjusting. If someone believes that progress is being made, even if not made on exactly the original timeline, why jump ship? That baffles me.

This.

I've honestly already written off a bowl game (just can't see wins against PSU, OSU, or USC), but a trophy game or two and, to me, this year was a success, considering the circumstances.

MTSU
USD
NIU
Northwestern
Illinois
One of Purdue/MSU
One of Wisconsin/Iowa

That's a realistic way to get to seven wins and bowl eligible without beating PSU, OSU or USC. Not saying we are going to win seven, but I will be disappointed if we're not bowl eligible. (I think we only need six wins to be bowl eligible, right?)

I can live with 6-6 or even 5-7 if we are competitive against the best teams. We are in the Big Ten, and sometimes that means playing some good teams on occasion. Nobody expects a Big Ten championship this year, but we need to start showing signs that we belong with the top half of the conference -- particularly Iowa and Wisconsin. If Brewster can't do it, let's find someone who can.

This is not a difficult question.

.500 in the conference.

.500 in border rivalry games.

I agree they have had their way with Sparty the last few years. I dont think they beat them both this year though. If you use that logic no way they can beat Wisky or Iowa then.

I'll offer a sig bet the Gophs do not beat both NW and Sparty this year. You game?

This is not a difficult question.

.500 in the conference.

.500 in border rivalry games.

I totally agree with this post. .500 in conference with a win over either Wisky or Iowa would be a solid season. Looking at probably 7-5 and a solid bowl berth...

Top Bottom