What improvements do you hope to see in game #2?

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
I'd like to see us get more pressure from our front four on D, and better pass protection. Maybe a decent length FG to get that out of the way.

Things I'd like to see:

More involvement from the running backs in the passing game (or, better involvement when opportunities arise)
Better QB contain
One or two more shots down field (hopeful for Wolitarsky's return to help this one along)

It seemed to me the jet sweep was open many times, but when we finally handed off EIU either knew it was coming or got lucky. Not sure if this would have kept the LB blitzes honest or not...

Leidner has to run early in the game at least once?

Agree with Doc1001. We heard much about Maye, but he didn't seem to be able to get the ball in the first game.

The bottom line though is win and stay healthy, hopefully improve.

I want to see our O-Line come off the ball better, get a better surge, and create holes on a more consistent basis. I also want to see ML7 go through his progressions better and not be so quick to tuck the ball and run.

I'm hoping to see more high % passing executed.

Edwards to me looks like a future starter, sooner rather than later. More of him please.

I want to see the O-line better with Lauer and Campion back in their spots.

Defensively I'm hoping the freshmen Dlinemen flash bigger.

Special teamswise Santoso was brilliant, continue to kick the ball out of bounds. This is a seriously underrated positive from the opener. If he can do that all year, we may win another game just on field position.

1. Better run blocking. For all the hype we've been giving our O-line, they have been pedestrian the last two games.
2. Receivers getting open, the ball delivered on-time and accurately.
3. Like Gopher07 said, a better job at containing the QB. When the pocket breaks down and the QB escapes, give up a few yards, not 15-20.
4. I want to see Santoso attempt 3 field goals so he's ready for TCU.

I want to see our O-Line come off the ball better, get a better surge, and create holes on a more consistent basis. I also want to see ML7 go through his progressions better and not be so quick to tuck the ball and run.

Would like to see us control the trenches on both sides. Maybe a bit tougher on defense with all the young guys being forced into action but the O-Line for sure needs to dominate.

Would like to see them take a couple shots downfield in the passing game because we are going to need to get the timing and execution down.

Santoso looks great on Kickoffs and did well on extra points but as someone else mentioned would be good to see him take a few shots at FG in this one to see what kind of range he has.

I'd like to see some more sustained drives. Its always tough against weak competition, because from turnovers and special teams we ended up with a lot of short fields to work with and entire lost possessions from non-offensive touchdowns (which are obviously good things), and then a few big offensive plays that shorten drives. We have heard a lot from people who think we lack the ability to make explosive plays, but I want to know if we can execute and sustain a 12-15 play touchdown drive.

One thing that stuck out to me is that we were outgained by Western Illinois. Part of that comes down to us losing out on a possession from the punt block TD, and obviously its tough to rack up yards when the defense recovers a fumble within 5 yards of their endzone, but I really didn't feel like we were able to sustain our power run game like we want to.

More Defending National Championship Dance Team!

I'd like for the team to stay relatively injury free foremost.

With the OL clicking on all cylinders, I'd like for ML7 to up the offensive production overall, and win the TOP battle with the defense more rested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. No dead ball penalties.
2. If you are in the pistol and run either inside or outside zone, then maybe 10 percent of the time let Leidner escape out the back door.
3. Make the play! When a receiver, Jones has the defender beaten on the post you cannot under throw the ball.
4. If you are running successfully out of the I, then continue. Feed the ball to Cobb.
5. Half roll Leidner, don't make him a statue.
6. Find Max Williams and get him the ball.
7. Use Jones on the speed sweep. Establish that.
8. Do not lose your identity. Pound the rock.
9. Get Leidner a set of passes he is comfortable with and rank them from easy to difficult. Call the easy passes early, get him in rhythm early.
10. More Berkley Edwards, get the ball in his hands.

Hope we show up from the opening kickoff.

It would be weird to only have one team line-up for the kickoff.

As others have stated-more pressure on the QB. Chicks dig sacks.

1. Consistent Passing Offense (Throws at least somewhat on target)
2. Better Pass Rush.
3. Limit dropped passes.
4. More MAXXXXXX.

1. Consistent Passing Offense (Throws at least somewhat on target)
2. Better Pass Rush.
3. Limit dropped passes.
4. More MAXXXXXX.

The last one is a big one. He seems like such a mismatch and a really great weapon but he only caught more then 2 passes in 3 games last season and only had 2 catches against EI. For a young QB having a great receiving TE would seem like a major safety blanket but we need to get him the ball more often then we do in the passing game.

Unlike others, I'm hoping our DL actually focuses less on getting to the quarterback. I'm hoping the DL focuses more on discipline and gap control. DEs need to square their shoulders to the LOS and keep contain. And if nobody blocks you, it's not a free sack! It's a screen! Our DL was so undisciplined last week. It seemed like the only priority was pressuring the QB, and we got killed on screens and QB keepers.

Better QB contain, TE and FB positions cut down on the missed blocks, better progressions by Leidner, a 100 yard rusher

A Win and I would like to see the team run some sort of no huddle/2 minute offense so that when it is needed later in the season, it's not brand new. Last year there were a few games (Michigan comes to mind) where the offense still played grind it out style offense when the team was down by a couple of touchdowns late.

1. An injury-free W
2. A W without any injuries
3a. More confidence and decisiveness from Leidner on simple pass plays
3b. O-line domination with the run game, talking automatic 2-3 yard surge from the line on every rush
3c. Not just a "next man up" mentality from the D-line, but "next man up" results as well

1. No dead ball penalties.
2. If you are in the pistol and run either inside or outside zone, then maybe 10 percent of the time let Leidner escape out the back door.
3. Make the play! When a receiver, Jones has the defender beaten on the post you cannot under throw the ball.
4. If you are running successfully out of the I, then continue. Feed the ball to Cobb.
5. Half roll Leidner, don't make him a statue.
6. Find Max Williams and get him the ball.
7. Use Jones on the speed sweep. Establish that.
8. Do not lose your identity. Pound the rock.
9. Get Leidner a set of passes he is comfortable with and rank them from easy to difficult. Call the easy passes early, get him in rhythm early.
10. More Berkley Edwards, get the ball in his hands.

Your parents must have hated you come Christmas shopping time. Good list though.

I just hope we don't show too much of our extensive trickeration playbook.

I just hope we don't show too much of our extensive trickeration playbook.

Vanilla-Extract-Hero.png

-Better timed routes from Leidner to our WRs and TEs, keeping their DBs on their toes.
-Bigger push from the OL, dominate the LOS, letting Cobb and Edwards to break free.
-Leidner, calm down.... I know you're a sophomore...but you've been there before,
you've played against big-time teams, and in a bowl game. Just go play.

Audible out of runs if it's evident MTSU is going to send the house (a la EIU)...
even if it's just a 3-step drop timed out-route or crossing-route. Leidner, you're
not yet good enough to read pass like the NFL, 3-step drop, BOOM.
Get rhythm and the reads will come. I know they dont want Leidner running as much
but every so often, but if it's there, take-off...gives their D another thing to think about.

-Better timed routes from Leidner to our WRs and TEs, keeping their DBs on their toes.
-Bigger push from the OL, dominate the LOS, letting Cobb and Edwards to break free.
-Leidner, calm down.... I know you're a sophomore...but you've been there before,
you've played against big-time teams, and in a bowl game. Just go play.

Audible out of runs if it's evident MTSU is going to send the house (a la EIU)...
even if it's just a 3-step drop timed out-route or crossing-route. Leidner, you're
not yet good enough to read pass like the NFL, 3-step drop, BOOM.
Get rhythm and the reads will come. I know they dont want Leidner running as much
but every so often, but if it's there, take-off...gives their D another thing to think about.

Not bad.

I expect to see a hard running Cobb, I think he goes for over 100 easy this game knowing Edwards is pushing him.

I'd also like to see Leidner improve in the passing game and I think he will judging by his post game comments and mannerisms. I think we will see Leidner throw for about 215 and a couple of TD's.

I'd also actually like to see less of Maxx in the passing game. We already know what he can do, don't play him much unless we are even or behind. Focus on chemistry with the WRs and reward Goodger, Plsek, and Lingen for their hard work with some extra playing time during the non-conference games. Also decreases risk of injury to Maxx.

we dont start with a 3-and-out.
they start with a 3-and-out.

we should have the first 10 plays scripted... should be 7-0 three minutes into the game.

Top Bottom