What if?

Maximus

Reaction score
With Brew out tomorrow, what if?

A) kid from Texas Tech misses the field goal. Mase is still the coach and has good teams every 3-4 years. What if?

B) For Brew...comes from Denver where they plug in running backs and they get 1,000 yards just like Hamner and Jackson here. Gordy Shaw is still on staff when Brew is hired. What if?

C) Joel Monroe makes 20 yard field goal to put the 7-1 Gophers up 10 late in the third quarter against Northwestern. What if?

What if's are what make and break coaches every year in every sport. No different here. No different in some other team later this year.

Go Gophers!!

I'll go to my grave thinking the 2008 team would have at least gone to a NYD Bowl and Brewster'd have a lot longer leash. It's too bad, but you've got to play the hand you're dealt. It sucks, but that's where the U is at now. I hope they realize what they've got here and take the necessary steps to right this ship.

What if the ESPN report that we had hired Dan Mullen had been true?

A. I would have taken it as a sign that Minnesota doesn't care about college football and quit watching the team.

B. Remind me of all the schools that wanted Shaw after he left

C. We go 8-5 instead of 7-6. Decker still gets hurt, we still lose our last 4. Only major difference is we probably don't lay down against Iowa as there would have been more on the table.

What if...the dog would not have stopped to $hit...would he have caught the rabbit?

With Brew out tomorrow, what if?

A) kid from Texas Tech misses the field goal. Mase is still the coach and has good teams every 3-4 years. What if?

B) For Brew...comes from Denver where they plug in running backs and they get 1,000 yards just like Hamner and Jackson here. Gordy Shaw is still on staff when Brew is hired. What if?

C) Joel Monroe makes 20 yard field goal to put the 7-1 Gophers up 10 late in the third quarter against Northwestern. What if?

I'll play...

A) Mason would have still lost his best defensive players to the rape charge and had a bare cupboard. 2007 would have won 3 or 4 games at most and the heat would have been on big time. There's a good chance he would have been fired at the conclusion of that season.

B) Gordy Shaw was still on staff when Brew was hired. Brew fired him after his 3rd day. I presume you mean "what if Brew hadn't fired him"? Would have possibly made a little difference but a Shaw coached OLine might have struggled with the spread anyway. Wouldn't have been enough of a difference to have changed things, especially considering it's Brewster's performance THIS YEAR that is the cause of him being fired and the OLine isn't the problem this year.

C) The Gophers were never up 7 points in the 3rd quarter to NW in 2008. The game was tied 17-17 at halftime and NW got the late pick 6. What situation are you referring to?
http://www.ericthrall.com/gophers/football/2008/northwestern.html
But if they beat NW...then maybe they beat Michigan the following week. I still think they lose to Wisconsin and Iowa to close out the season though. The Alamo Bowl would have been forced to choose between Minnesota and Wisconsin. They would have definitely taken Wisconsin and we would have gone to Champ Sports Bowl instead of Insight. Not a big difference.

A) Darren is correct, Mase wouldn't have gone 1-11 in 2007, but if the players still would have been gone because of rape, they wouldn't have won more than 4 or 5. And then he would've been fired then anyway. The bigger hurt here is we probably wouldn't have gotten Brew, but some other guy as coach, and he'd just be finishing up his 3rd year. The other hurt is we would've gotten LB Greg Jones, currently Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year at Michigan St.

B) It's totally unknown how Shaw would've done with Brew, but I think Brew's bigger regret when he looks back on his tenure here was to ditch the spread after year 2. Fisch & co. screwed up Weber's throwing motion, made him think too much and ultimately threw a huge monkey wrench. 2009 could've been a better season with better O.

C) Yeah, the FG and win vs. NW would've been nice, and I assume a much better effort vs Mich would've followed, but like others I think we still would've lost to WI & IA that year. The other what-if's from that season should be about how we WON a number of tight games to get to 7-1. We could easily have been 4-3 or worse.

D) Of course, the biggest disappointment was 2003 Friday night vs. Michigan. If we would've won, we would've been co-Big 10 champs that year at least (even assuming we still would've lost to Mich St, which I highly doubt) and Rose Bowl bound. I hate to rehash that, but that was THE game we needed, and we didn't get it.

Oh, well, let's hope we get lucky with a new coach.

What if my aunt had testicles? They'd call her my uncle. Don't waste time with what ifs.

Top Bottom