What I'd like to see vs Ohio State

EG#9

Reaction score
So I realize asking a coach to waive the white flag before the game even begins is futile. That said, we know how Fleck coaches and we especially know how Fleck coaches games against the upper echelon of the Big Ten. He's going to insist on running the ball/draining the clock even when we are down 14 or more. It's not hard to imagine this team being down 3 scores sometime in the second quarter and the game being basically over (not for Northwestern though...). So here's what I would like to see as a fan.

1. Play to win early- Let Athan throw the football. Don't play for field goals. Once you cross your own 45 or so, it should be 4 down territory. I realize this won't happen, but if we are to somehow pull of an upset it begins with getting off to a hot start over a potentially sleep walking Ohio State early.

Now that the pie in the sky hope is out of the way, here's what I'd like to see assuming the Gophers are down 17 plus

1. Give Sean Tyler the ball- There is no reason to give Nubin or Evans 20 or more carries in a game you aren't competitive in. I want all the RB's Fleck trusts as fresh and healthy for Wisconsin next week as possible. Maybe Tyler even breaks a couple runs and regains some trust and gives us some speed to use on outside runs against the Badgers. This would also be a nice gesture to Tyler who gave up his commitment to Oklahoma State to come here. Give him the 2nd half and live with the results.

2. Give Viotto at least a couple series- Ryan Burns has believed Kramer is unlikely to use another year. Let the only other returning scholarship QB take his first snaps of college football. There's no reason not to give him a little experience so if he ever has to go in to a game next year, it won't be his first college snaps.

3. Rotate at other positions- Get some guys some playing time who haven't had it and keep the snaps down on guys like Nubin/Walley/Jackson etc. There are possibilities for some small victories of guys gaining more confidence by actually making a play or two against Ohio State after not seeing the field much all year. I'd love to see Hoskins get a chance on a deep ball or a reverse as one example as well as see the two freshman corners go up against Ohio State's vaunted wide receivers.

* I realize it won't happen if they are healthy, but I see so little upside in playing Lindenberg or Taylor in this game. They've both been injured and reinjured and we're almost 4 TD underdogs.

That’s not a bad plan, at least the beginning part. I think putting your best against their best, the “iron sharpens iron” approach is worth working on too in addition to letting the players get experience. This is one area if PJ would have let his back ups play more against a few of the teams we were winning (and losing badly) against would have helped prevent the lack of experience we are seeing now. I agree that saving your guys for Wisky in what is a down year is worth it.

I like giving Tyler another chance but that unfortunately would be very un-Fleck-like, especially against a top tier blue blood program. I haven't done the math but my impression is that Sean's touch to fumble/drop ratio is greater than 50% (and probably much higher). But I like the point.

I like letting Athan throw the ball but I believe there he'll be intercepted against the Buckeyes, both from errant throws but also tipped balls. Still, this is the only chance we have to really advance the ball so be it.

I'm definitely a debbie-downer this morning but the match-up for this edition for the Gophers is particularly bad. I think though if we could beat the 10 points we got against Michigan I could be happy, at least on offense. For D I'd just like to see OH-IO State at least having to earn their points with no spectacular scheme or position failures for easy scores. Finally, coming away with an intact QB and our defensive starters to go against Bucky next week would be a great outcome for what is probably going to be a tough Saturday.

I like giving Tyler another chance but that unfortunately would be very un-Fleck-like, especially against a top tier blue blood program. I haven't done the math but my impression is that Sean's touch to fumble/drop ratio is greater than 50% (and probably much higher). But I like the point.

I like letting Athan throw the ball but I believe there he'll be intercepted against the Buckeyes, both from errant throws but also tipped balls. Still, this is the only chance we have to really advance the ball so be it.

I'm definitely a debbie-downer this morning but the match-up for this edition for the Gophers is particularly bad. I think though if we could beat the 10 points we got against Michigan I could be happy, at least on offense. For D I'd just like to see OH-IO State at least having to earn their points with no spectacular scheme or position failures for easy scores. Finally, coming away with an intact QB and our defensive starters to go against Bucky next week would be a great outcome for what is probably going to be a tough Saturday.

Tyler has 64 touches.

I'm excited to get a look at freshman QB Lincoln Kienholz, lately discussed in the Koi Perich thread. But as 3rd on the depth chart, I wonder if I'll get to see him in the 3rd quarter or will have to wait until the 4th.

I'm excited to get a look at freshman QB Lincoln Kienholz, lately discussed in the Koi Perich thread. But as 3rd on the depth chart, I wonder if I'll get to see him in the 3rd quarter or will have to wait until the 4th.
I wouldn't wait at all if I was you. Likely not going to happen!

OSU turned the ball over to the Badgers at least 3 times. The upset is there but you gotta get tds on those turnoverz.

To the OP, if the game gets out of hand, points 2 and 3 are totally spot on (point 1 is spot on regardless). Why PJ refuses to put in backups when the game is out of hand is infuriating. He keeps playing the "inexperienced" card, well yeah, because you refuse to play the younger guys when you have the chance. He specifically doesn't do something, and then acts like there are these things outside of his control that are affecting the program.

Yes. Boy, that seems like an age ago...

Thanks for the stat though. The bad has certainly pushed out the good in my mind. Not fair to the player. Hope he gets his chance.

I’m sure he’s a nice kid. Hasnt performed well. Maybe he’ll be the hero and win us the axe

Sucks we couldn't even get a kid from SD to consider going here. Could start day 1 next season.
No NIL or free Audi may play into it:ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately, this is not how coaches coach or think. It would be refreshing if they did, however.

Sucks we couldn't even get a kid from SD to consider going here. Could start day 1 next season.
No NIL or free Audi may play into it:ROFLMAO:
In fairness we did recently have a qb from SD and he wasn't good enough so he transferred out.

Might as well just forfeit to prepare for Wisconsin. Zero chance we don’t get blown out.

So I realize asking a coach to waive the white flag before the game even begins is futile. That said, we know how Fleck coaches and we especially know how Fleck coaches games against the upper echelon of the Big Ten. He's going to insist on running the ball/draining the clock even when we are down 14 or more. It's not hard to imagine this team being down 3 scores sometime in the second quarter and the game being basically over (not for Northwestern though...). So here's what I would like to see as a fan.

1. Play to win early- Let Athan throw the football. Don't play for field goals. Once you cross your own 45 or so, it should be 4 down territory. I realize this won't happen, but if we are to somehow pull of an upset it begins with getting off to a hot start over a potentially sleep walking Ohio State early.

Now that the pie in the sky hope is out of the way, here's what I'd like to see assuming the Gophers are down 17 plus

1. Give Sean Tyler the ball- There is no reason to give Nubin or Evans 20 or more carries in a game you aren't competitive in. I want all the RB's Fleck trusts as fresh and healthy for Wisconsin next week as possible. Maybe Tyler even breaks a couple runs and regains some trust and gives us some speed to use on outside runs against the Badgers. This would also be a nice gesture to Tyler who gave up his commitment to Oklahoma State to come here. Give him the 2nd half and live with the results.

2. Give Viotto at least a couple series- Ryan Burns has believed Kramer is unlikely to use another year. Let the only other returning scholarship QB take his first snaps of college football. There's no reason not to give him a little experience so if he ever has to go in to a game next year, it won't be his first college snaps.

3. Rotate at other positions- Get some guys some playing time who haven't had it and keep the snaps down on guys like Nubin/Walley/Jackson etc. There are possibilities for some small victories of guys gaining more confidence by actually making a play or two against Ohio State after not seeing the field much all year. I'd love to see Hoskins get a chance on a deep ball or a reverse as one example as well as see the two freshman corners go up against Ohio State's vaunted wide receivers.

* I realize it won't happen if they are healthy, but I see so little upside in playing Lindenberg or Taylor in this game. They've both been injured and reinjured and we're almost 4 TD underdogs.

"Once you cross your own 45 or so, it should be 4 down territory. " This should be the default practice in every game. The most important thing in football is to own the ball.

@ChromeDomeGopher if that were an option …

No, were required to go in there and take our beating.

That’s what we’re getting paid $50M by the Big Ten to do, going up to $80M next year

Frankly, I would settle for consistent EXECUTION on both sides of the ball.

You may see Tyler get some carries here, but you will not be seeing any freshman QB in this game, barring injuries to #1 and #2.

The best place for Sean Tyler is on the bench.

If we're going to lost by 40 anyway, I'd rather the backups take the pounding and save the starters for Wisc ...

Top Bottom