What I Liked Most -Michigan Postgame

It will be super interesting to see how he coaches next year's team. (Yes, I know I'm jumping ahead.) In all likelihood, it will be a much younger squad. It has to be very different coaching 19 year olds instead of 23 year olds.
Agreed. What is going to be really interesting is to see if they have the same kind of eye for incoming freshman that they did for transfers. There was some head scratching about the guys we were bringing in from the portal but based on early returns it is very clear that they knew what they were looking for in putting the roster together.

Not a perfect roster by any means but one that looks like it is going to be able to compete night in and night out as long as the key pieces can stay healthy.

What is going to be really interesting is to see if they have the same kind of eye for incoming freshman that they did for transfers. There was some head scratching about the guys we were bringing in from the portal but based on early returns it is very clear that they knew what they were looking for in putting the roster together.

Will they have as good of an eye for incoming freshmen as they did for transfers? My guess is probably not.

That's not a dig at our coaches. It's simply much easier to judge probability of success from the transfer portal than it is to judge that probability from the prep ranks. With most freshmen recruits, there is a substantial risk of the following:

1) the player can't play at this level; and/or

2) the player won't keep it together academically and/or behaviorally.

Transfers are more physically and mentally mature. Most transfers that you would want to recruit have shown already that they can play at the D1 level at least to an acceptable degree. They've also shown in most cases that they can avoid academic eligibility problems or the more egregious behavioral problems. There's a reason why an anonymous D1 coach said that he was going to do most of his recruiting from the transfer portal from now on.

Pitino's success rate was far better with transfers than with prep recruits. Although his very best players tended to be prep recruits, almost all of his worst players were as well. The only absolute dud transfer he had was Brock Stull. Even one of his least talented transfers, Alihan, was better than the likely prep recruits (Hurt and Omersa) who would have played his minutes if he hadn't been recruited.

I didn't understand the "head scratching" as you call it at the time when it came to Loewe, Stephens, and Sutherlin (I don't think anyone doubted Battle and, to a lesser degree, Willis). These were mature players who had successful track records at the D1 level, albeit a lower level. There's not as much difference between P6 and non-P6 as some people seem to imagine. If there were, we wouldn't see as many upsets in early season and the NCAA tournament as we do. Most of the better non-P6 players should be able to contribute something at the P6 level too.

Will they have as good of an eye for incoming freshmen as they did for transfers? My guess is probably not.

That's not a dig at our coaches. It's simply much easier to judge probability of success from the transfer portal than it is to judge that probability from the prep ranks. With most freshmen recruits, there is a substantial risk of the following:

Transfers are more physically and mentally mature. Most transfers that you would want to recruit have shown already that they can play at the D1 level at least to an acceptable degree. They've also shown in most cases that they can avoid academic eligibility problems or the more egregious behavioral problems. There's a reason why an anonymous D1 coach said that he was going to do most of his recruiting from the transfer portal from now on.

Pitino's success rate was far better with transfers than with prep recruits. Although his very best players tended to be prep recruits, almost all of his worst players were as well. The only absolute dud transfer he had was Brock Stull. Even one of his least talented transfers, Alihan, was better than the likely prep recruits (Hurt and Omersa) who would have played his minutes if he hadn't been recruited.

I didn't understand the "head scratching" as you call it at the time when it came to Loewe, Stephens, and Sutherlin (I don't think anyone doubted Battle and, to a lesser degree, Willis). These were mature players who had successful track records at the D1 level, albeit a lower level. There's not as much difference between P6 and non-P6 as some people seem to imagine. If there were, we wouldn't see as many upsets in early season and the NCAA tournament as we do. Most of the better non-P6 players should be able to contribute something at the P6 level too.

My post from Dec 5:

"Yep! Guys make a big play and the look on their face is like, "been there, done that.........many times before".

I think its called confidence."

I agree in general with your takes but in regards to guys like Loewe, Stephens, Sutherlin...there were plenty questioning why we were bringing in guys from low level schools as opposed to guys from more established programs. There were also questions as to why we were going after guys that were not in high demand from other high level programs.

Fox and Battle were obvious exceptions as those guys were in demand. Not saying everyone didn't like the low level guys (was easy to see they could all play) but there was a lot of concern about how their games would translate to the Big Ten. Early returns look very good on that front.

It will be super interesting to see how he coaches next year's team. (Yes, I know I'm jumping ahead.) In all likelihood, it will be a much younger squad. It has to be very different coaching 19 year olds instead of 23 year olds.
Fox, Battle, Ihnen all back probably forming a core and I'll bet he hits the transfer portal and gets some more upperclassmen.

I really liked PItino as an interview, Twitter follow, and seemed like a great guy to have a beer with. Was always frustrated with the coaching though as game after game and year after year, no matter the players, it was the same mistakes on both sides of the ball. He has a fresh start at NM and hope he takes advantage of it.

I wonder about the depth as well, and will be a problem if injuries. However, I also remind myself that many successful coaches like Jay Wright at Villanova, and Rick PItino (dad) rarely play more than seven guys year to year. They have depth if injuries happen maybe, but game to game they historically rarely play more than that. Looking at Villanova box scores this year, in any close game, they are playing five guys, with a sixth player getting a handful of minutes. Iona it is mostly six to seven players for Pitino.
I am with you on Pitino. Really liked the guy and got the impression that he knew the game and what to do, but just didn't do it. There were times when he really had a good game plans and others where it was WFT. Enough Pitino.

I think Ben and his staff are really committed to the style of play that is expected out on the court. They are intentionally making the players earn game time by doing the right things in practice. In another recent interview he talked about giving playing time to others as they learn what is expected of them. It looks like Ben is not willing to just give minutes to anybody, they must be ready to do it right.

Fox, Battle, Ihnen all back probably forming a core and I'll bet he hits the transfer portal and gets some more upperclassmen.
There will be portal players next year.

Just beat

3 MCDONALD'S ALL-AMERICANS

BEST RECRUITS IN THE NATION

WITH NO HEART !!!!

1 game at a time

Go gophers !!

Top Bottom