What I like about Brewster

Doc1001

Reaction score
is that he is such a hard worker. He really appears to try hard. You hate to see someone like that fail. But of course---hard work---in any occupation-only goes so far. You do need to have success. But think about this:
Brewster was hired in January and the first recruiting team was signed in February. So you really cant count that as his recruiting class. That was almost entirely Masons class (by the way my gripe against Mason was that I didnt see him as nearly the worker Brewster is). Therefore Brewster has only had two full recruiting seasons that have all been his own. Now most coaches red shirt most of the players as Brewster has. That means that most of his own recruits are only entering their sophomore years this coming year. Unless there is information I am missing it would be crazy to not let his recruits enter their sophomore season before judging him and you could probably even say their junior seasons which would give him two more years. That is why Maturi-despite all the letter writing---is not even considering firing him at this time. I know that as a fact--unless of course things change or some unexpected event or events take place. Nothing is etched in granite. Mason had 10 years. Not to give Brewster four just seems too reactionary.
And remember this---when you lose the disorganized undisciplined play stands out more. It wasnt many games ago where Childress teams seemed disorganized and undisciplined---tons and tons of penalties and questionable coaching decisions now. But win and this is overlooked or forgotten. .
So again---unless there is something going on behind the scenes that I am not aware of----on the surface it would seem crazy not to let him has his recruits at least enter their sophomore seasons.
One of my least strengths in life is patience. I need to work on patience. But even I am asking for more time. And I have been following the gophers since the mid 50s. If anyone should lack patience with this program it would be me. I am about fed up. I have had many more downs than ups following this program. But we do need another year or two of patience the way I see it. And dont think I dont see the warts of the gophers play on the field of late.

I like what Brewster wants to do with Minnesota but...he's gonna let a Mason Recruit end up costing him his job.......

His job isn't in jeopardy. He will be the coach next year and the year after.

I totally believe Brewster will be back next year, and if they can establish an offensive identity and show growth on both sides of the football even longer. The only thing I worry about is Maturi has to ask himself if he thinks we are headed in the right direction. By alot of metrics we are, but the offense is scary bad. For Maturi, it might really come down to whether he thinks Fisch can succeed or not. I don't think Brewster will be given the reigns through another coordinator hire so really it's all on Fisch at this point. It's sad and scary to think everything Brewster has done may hang on Fisch. If Maturi doesn't feel he can do it, he may not wait. I really don't know what Maturi thinks. If he thinks Brew gets five year to make it work but doesn't have a shot in hell of doing it he'll pull the plug early. If he takes it one year at a time and there's no set deadline I think Brewster is fine, since we're really talking about one problem that may take a couple of years to solve. I just don't know where Maturi is at on this. In the past he's been patient. But twice his patience has cost him. Althought the Tubby thing worked out for him.

I'd really like to know what Maturi's take on this is.

I do know personally

what Maturis take on this is. I mentioned it in my post above.

The real question is what is Bruininks take on this because he is the one with the final decision and he is the one that made the decision on Mason and Monson and left it for Maturi to implement. Maturi doesn't have the courage to make the tough decisions unfortunately.

Doc is right, and I think he has to have the full 5 yrs. Then it's bottom line.

is that he is such a hard worker. He really appears to try hard. You hate to see someone like that fail. But of course---hard work---in any occupation-only goes so far. You do need to have success. But think about this:
Brewster was hired in January and the first recruiting team was signed in February. So you really cant count that as his recruiting class. That was almost entirely Masons class (by the way my gripe against Mason was that I didnt see him as nearly the worker Brewster is). Therefore Brewster has only had two full recruiting seasons that have all been his own. Now most coaches red shirt most of the players as Brewster has. That means that most of his own recruits are only entering their sophomore years this coming year. Unless there is information I am missing it would be crazy to not let his recruits enter their sophomore season before judging him and you could probably even say their junior seasons which would give him two more years. That is why Maturi-despite all the letter writing---is not even considering firing him at this time. I know that as a fact--unless of course things change or some unexpected event or events take place. Nothing is etched in granite. Mason had 10 years. Not to give Brewster four just seems too reactionary.
And remember this---when you lose the disorganized undisciplined play stands out more. It wasnt many games ago where Childress teams seemed disorganized and undisciplined---tons and tons of penalties and questionable coaching decisions now. But win and this is overlooked or forgotten. .
So again---unless there is something going on behind the scenes that I am not aware of----on the surface it would seem crazy not to let him has his recruits at least enter their sophomore seasons.
One of my least strengths in life is patience. I need to work on patience. But even I am asking for more time. And I have been following the gophers since the mid 50s. If anyone should lack patience with this program it would be me. I am about fed up. I have had many more downs than ups following this program. But we do need another year or two of patience the way I see it. And dont think I dont see the warts of the gophers play on the field of late.

I hope the Gophers draft Adrian Peterson, that should help out Brewster, much like it helped out Childress.

LOL! Anyone can try hard. If my job performance were the same as Brewster's, I'd be unemployed right now.

The real question is what is Bruininks take on this because he is the one with the final decision and he is the one that made the decision on Mason and Monson and left it for Maturi to implement. Maturi doesn't have the courage to make the tough decisions unfortunately.

Bruininks first priority will be financial. The ability to fill the stadium is the greatest factor. His second will be integrity. It would not look good to fire him after three years and I agree with that. It isn't near enough time. The real issue is do you extend his contract. Five years is enough time but the extension issue comes into play. Do you extend his contract knowing that his future will be based on the next couple of years.

I really hope you're right. I believe Brewster is the first coach we've had in my adult lifetime who's got a chance to get us somewhere good. I just hope he doesn't run out of time.

So you state you know as a fact. How do you? Nobody else has been able to decipher the hyperbole.

I really hope you're right. I believe Brewster is the first coach we've had in my adult lifetime who's got a chance to get us somewhere good. I just hope he doesn't run out of time.

I pretty much agree. It least now I get the feeling that we are on the cusp of doing something great. Every year he is getting a few more athletes in positions to make plays and eventually win games. If he can "just" find/ create a QB to manage games and make a great play on occasion he'll be OK. Unfortunatley that is a pretty big "just." If he continues to wait for Weber to develop he might just run out of time.

I have this sinking feeling that if Gray goes to Rec. because they like what they see in Moses, will we go through the same thing with Weber and Moses next yr. with Gray at rec.??

Studwell

When I speak its the end of discussion. Always remember that.

Coming here from North Carolina, I keep remembering when Mac Brown (Brewster's mentor) started at UNC. In his first two seasons, Mac compiled a record of 2-20 - that's right, one win in each of his first two years. You think the Carolina fans weren't calling for his head? And where is Mac now - coaching natl championship teams for Texas, that's where.

I'm not predicting that Brew will follow that path, but I am saying that Brewster has to be given at least a couple more years to prove or disprove himself. And if the Gophers can't give him that, what decent coach is going to want to follow him to Minnesota?

Doc,

Agreed totally. I am not happy with the current state of the team, but i can at least see the positives in the situation. At the beginning of the season, i predicted 7-5. They are 6-6. Granted, they should be better and played bad games against bad teams and lost at times.

But, at the end of the season, they are more or less where i thought they'd be. This is someone else's quote but "it took 40 years to destroy the program and it will take more than 3 to fix it."

Top Bottom