What I admire about Royce

Roy Christensen

Trying to do it all!
Reaction score
1.Since making a series of knucklehead moves Royce has been a target. He has been suspended from the team and from doing what he loves and does best. He has been the object of ridicule and scorn. He has recieved glaring attention from the media. He has taken shots from all sides but yet has held up quite well. I doubt that many of us have recieved the kind of negative attention he has. At 19 it must be overwhelming. Yet for almost three monthes he has held up quite well and even gotten good grades. Only recently has he pulled out. The kid can take a punch. I like that.

2. Everyone has been going at Royce. I can't imagine the pressure of all this negative media attention. Yet the kid had the nerve to hit back. He does a video. Yes it was dumb and ill timed and hopelessly amatuer but it also showed moxie and a refusal to be dominated. That same moxie is probably part of the reason he will one day play in the NBA. I like moxie.

3. THe UMPD wants to nail their culprit. They think Royce can give him up to them but he won't. Perhaps because it is his friend. We can question his choice of friends but not his loyalty to them. Nor does he criticize his coach or the team that suspended him. He shows loyalty. I like loyalty.

No doubt the kid has behaved like an idiot. I can relate. He is going to mature. I'll be watching. Go Royce!

While I see your point, I am not sure how you feel that level of sympathy for him. He was given every advantage, yet through almost completely his own doing, he managed to throw it away.

Everyone makes mistakes and most of the time they deserve second chances, how careless do you have to be before enough is enough?

how careless do you have to be before enough is enough?

That's a scary confidence only born out of being completely teflon. You hope of course that they will figure it out but it can lead to making a life changing mistake. Have to agree with parts of the above though the kid has been indestructlable so far.

One could argue he brought on all of this negative attention himself. He's the one that stole from MOA that started all of this. If Mbakwe is found innocent he didn't bring any of the attention on himself. Just a case of mistaken identity yet Mbakwe has kept his mouth shut, hasn't made any videos to escalate his situation and garner extra media attention. But I agree with you those qualities even if misplaced are great qualities to have. I really hope he re-enrolls next year and can prove himself on the court, to me it's the best option he has. If he transfers he has to sit out a year, if he does enter the draft I can't see anyway he gets drafted in the 1st round. I believe it's over seas or back to Minnesota realistically.

One could argue he brought on all of this negative attention himself. He's the one that stole from MOA that started all of this. If Mbakwe is found innocent he didn't bring any of the attention on himself. Just a case of mistaken identity yet Mbakwe has kept his mouth shut, hasn't made any videos to escalate his situation and garner extra media attention. But I agree with you those qualities even if misplaced are great qualities to have. I really hope he re-enrolls next year and can prove himself on the court, to me it's the best option he has. If he transfers he has to sit out a year, if he does enter the draft I can't see anyway he gets drafted in the 1st round. I believe it's over seas or back to Minnesota realistically.
I've seen this reference to White re-enrolling several times. Can anyone explain this? There are requirements that a player makes "normal progress" toward graduation. How do those requirement apply to White in the current situation?

BTW, although I have been very vocal in my criticism of White, I am still hoping that he can put mess behind him. Swallowing his pride and returning the the Gophers is far, far and away his best option.

All Royce is doing is saying..."I am going to go the BWCAW for a few months, find myself, let people leave me alone, and ""I'll be Back!!!""

I've seen this reference to White re-enrolling several times. Can anyone explain this? There are requirements that a player makes "normal progress" toward graduation. How do those requirement apply to White in the current situation?

BTW, although I have been very vocal in my criticism of White, I am still hoping that he can put mess behind him. Swallowing his pride and returning the the Gophers is far, far and away his best option.

I'm not 100% aware of the NCAA particulars, but he passed his classes the 1st semester and I'm fairly certain he withdrew soon enough in the second semester that those classes don't count one way or another. (For those of us not on scholarships that was the 'drop-dead' date to get out of a class you could tell you might not pass. It was usually about 1/3 of the way through the semester) Therefore he didn't 'flunk out' he's simply not enrolled. I believe he can re-enroll for Fall Semester and resume his scholarship if the U will let him.

Give him credit for doing well in school but, confusing "a refusal to be dominated" with listening to reason and 'loyalty' to a criminal element. Count me out.

Admire Royce? Um, check back in a few years on that one. For right now, there is nothing I admire about a kid that was presented with a great opportunity, had two seperate run-ins with the law, got himself suspended, then quit altogether because he wasn't allowed to play.

If he comes back next year actually humble or makes something out of himself down the line, then maybe there will be something admirable about him. Right now? Not so much.

Admire Royce? Um, check back in a few years on that one. For right now, there is nothing I admire about a kid that was presented with a great opportunity, had two seperate run-ins with the law, got himself suspended, then quit altogether because he wasn't allowed to play.

If he comes back next year actually humble or makes something out of himself down the line, then maybe there will be something admirable about him. Right now? Not so much.

+1

I don't think he meant that he admires everything about him, I think he was just pointing out certain qualities about him that he does happen to admire, which I can somewhat agree with.

I don't think he meant that he admires everything about him, I think he was just pointing out certain qualities about him that he does happen to admire, which I can somewhat agree with.

That's certainly possible. I just find it hard at this time to say "these are the things about Royce that I admire." Like I said, maybe down the line I'll feel differently. But from my perspective, there is a lot of work to do in that regard.

All Royce is doing is saying..."I am going to go the BWCAW for a few months, find myself, let people leave me alone, and ""I'll be Back!!!""

I hope so. Doesn't get any more Minnesota than that!

I like kids who want to be Gophers who have lots of other choices, ALA Royce.

I like kids who want to be Gophers who have lots of other choices, ALA Royce.

I agree with that, however I would add that I like them even better when they respect their opportunity instead of running around like a spoiled little junior high boy who has been catered to his entire life, doesn't know the meaning of discipline and may not ever cash the winning lottery ticket that his genes (and yes, some passionate, hard work) have given him due, maybe not coincidentally, to some of the things admired by some of you on this thread.

An example of what I mean: Loyalty to some jackass that stole a $500 laptop computer is not loyalty I admire. Particularly when the consequences of that loyalty are so severe. It's actually just stupid.

young kids do stupid things all the time. I want Royce to play hoops for the Gophers! I am not looking for a choir boy or someone to date my sister....
..as long as he is in good standing with the NCAA and his school work---let him in!

Royce will eventually grow up and have a decent pro career somewhere. But, I will be very disappointed in Tubby if he decides to get Royce back while Royce still maintains the moxie not to listen to Tubby and express his disagreement with the coach via youtube and media. Royce will do more harm to the team than good in that way unless Tubby is ready to change how he runs the team.

Keep him out.......

until he clearly demonstrates he can conform. This kid has been a problem his whole life, and he can't get out of his own way.

See the thread started by Guru last week if you really want to know about Royce. He needs help and he still does not know it.

If Tubby wants him--let him in........
I am not so interested in what other people's standards of conduct are. If he qualifies via the NCAA, and in his education requirements--let him play....
People on this board want perfection from student athletes and have some
arrogant standards they inflict on others. This attitude is one reason this whole athletic program is in shambles....I say, we pay Tubby big money and If Tubby wants him in--let him in!.......

People on this board want perfection from student athletes and have some arrogant standards they inflict on others.

I don't see that. I do see people here that disagree with your opinion that want guys that they can root for. I have a hard time rooting for someone who thinks the rules don't apply to him. Give me Quincy Lewis, Dusty Rychart and Aaron Robinson any day over this guy.

He's done more damage than he understands. But if he wants to grow up, find some humility and come begging back to Tubby and demonstrate "my bad," I'll welcome him back. But I'm not holding my breath......

I think he will be a gopher in 2010-2011...

I honestly and actually hope you are right. If that happens, I strongly believe it will be only under the conditions I mentioned above. If Tubby lets him back, I will assume that is the case.

+2

Top Bottom