What happens when espn and CFP designs your national championship rings ... (yeah it sucks)

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
Last edited:

Damn, if this isn't the worst case of over-standardized systemic design I have ever seen. It's an ESPN ring, like you might get working for the camera crew.

Remember when Super Bowls, Final Fours, World Series, NBA Finals all got unique logos each year? Now all follow the formulaic handcuffs of the "design system", where a number is changed each year and production costs stay rock bottom.

There's some designer at ESPN who waged holy war internally trying to stop this due to the inevitable horrible feedback it would get, but got overruled by a management team desperately cutting costs.

ESPN right in the center of the damn ring.....really.....

I have zero doubt Michigan will do something on their own because these are pathetic.

So a little digging and added context makes this all make a little more sense. Still an ugly ring but at least there is a story behind it. Guessing the real championship rings that the payers get will be very different.

So a little digging and added context makes this all make a little more sense. Still an ugly ring but at least there is a story behind it. Guessing the real championship rings that the payers get will be very different.

Ok, I see...this comes from the same family of novelty promo items like life sized Pop Tarts and blingy wrestling belts and turnover chains. Which explains why there's nothing Michigan on it and it's only meant to promote ESPN...which it is.

I couldn't imagine issuing those rings to the players as championship rings and expecting anything but extreme jeers.

Geez, this is truly moronic of a management team. How does putting your logo on 100
rings that don’t see the light of day other than a personal trophy case provide anything but a backlash.

Maybe ESPN should have had McAfee design it, he owns that dumpster fire!

Last edited:

The fact that even on the comically big fake rings it's still hard to read "College Football Playoff" should have tipped someone off in the design process that it was bad.

Why wouldn't they go with some nice looking gold medals, and a contract and nice budget with Josten's to design and make the rings for the winner? If they go over the budget, the school pays the difference.

Top Bottom