What happens first with Harbaugh at Michigan?

What happens first with Harbaugh at Michigan?

• He leads Michigan to the College Football Playoffs

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • He heads back to the NFL

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • Other

Votes: 16 19.5%

• Total voters
Thats funny. Hell, I even read a Michigan Scout forum where multiple posters WANTED us to keep Jeff Jones just to strengthen the conference and spread the wealth a little bit since they already had two 4 and 5 star backs in their previous class.

Here's how good I want Michigan to be:

Good enough to easily beat Utah, Oregon State, BYU, Hawaii, UCF, Colorado, Florida, Cincinnati, Air Force, Arkansas and SMU over the next 5 seasons, but not good enough to beat Minnesota in 2015 or 2017.

Other than that, I don't care.

This is an acceptable answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He will build Michigan into a killing machine, as at Stanford, but with superior recruiting and facilities. It will be Schembechler/Woody Hayes again and West teams will have little chance of elbowing in for a title. After about ten years, he'll be tired of it and go back to the pros.

He will build Michigan into a killing machine, as at Stanford, but with superior recruiting and facilities. It will be Schembechler/Woody Hayes again and West teams will have little chance of elbowing in for a title. After about ten years, he'll be tired of it and go back to the pros.
Disagree. The days of the Big 2 and Little 8 ended a long time ago. Wisconsin and MSU aren't going anywhere. Nebraska and Penn State should/could provide more competition over the long term, and hopefully Jerry will have the Gophers up near the top at least occasionally.

Look at his record at Stanford.

It was good.

But not obscenely good. 21-15 conference record over four years--with Andrew Luck.

It was good.

But not obscenely good. 21-15 conference record over four years--with Andrew Luck.

True, but 5 straight losing seasons before he got there, topped off by 1-11 the year before he took over. Followed by 11-2, 12-2 and 11-3 after he left. Looks to me like he had it firmly in place when he left it after his 12-1.

It was good.

Stanford's combined record before Harbaugh got there was 16-40 with a conference record of 10-31. They were awful and within 4 years he turned them into a national title contender. He's a great coach that did a great job there.

Disagree. The days of the Big 2 and Little 8 ended a long time ago. Wisconsin and MSU aren't going anywhere. Nebraska and Penn State should/could provide more competition.

Yep. That ship sailed a long time ago. Harbaugh instantly makes Michigan relevant again, but it's not going back to the "old days" of OSU/Michigan and then everyone else. Too many good programs for that to happen.

I too fear what Harbaugh will turn Michigan in to. However, is it a done deal with Michigan. It has been said over and over again that he wants to stay in the NFL. Just today a bunch of coaches got fired. Would he take a late NFL offer that wasn't quite as good as Michigan's to stay in the NFL?

I too fear what Harbaugh will turn Michigan in to. However, is it a done deal with Michigan. It has been said over and over again that he wants to stay in the NFL. Just today a bunch of coaches got fired. Would he take a late NFL offer that wasn't quite as good as Michigan's to stay in the NFL?

Done deal. 6 yrs for 48M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill Barnwell from Grantland.com wrote a really good article on the whole Harbaugh situation.

"It seems incredible that Jim Harbaugh is actually leaving the NFL to go coach at the University of Michigan, as multiple reports are suggesting. I didn’t believe it would actually happen until the moment the story broke on Saturday evening, and even then, half of me expected that we’d hear in the morning that Harbaugh wasn’t leaving after all. It only really hit home when Craig Dahl handed him the game ball after the safety’s game-sealing interception Sunday. It’s obviously Harbaugh’s right to take whatever available job he wants, and nobody can truly understand the pull his alma mater has on the departing 49ers coach. But this just doesn’t happen every day.

For one, coaches this good just don’t leave their jobs, let alone the NFL. Harbaugh is not Nick Saban, who went 15-17 with the Dolphins before returning to the NCAA ranks with Alabama. He’s not Butch Davis or Steve Spurrier. He took a 49ers team that had been wandering in the desert for nearly a full decade and came two turnovers away from leading them to three Super Bowls in his first three seasons. The professional ranks did not expose his weaknesses. They confirmed his strength.

Harbaugh leaves the NFL after Sunday’s win over the Cardinals with a 44-19-1 record and the fourth-best win percentage for a coach in modern NFL history (minimum: 15 games). As disappointing as San Francisco’s 8-8 record in 2014 has been, the idea that Harbaugh is anything but one of the best coaches in football at any level is downright absurd. In fact, there virtually aren’t any coaches in NFL history who compare to Harbaugh. NFL coaches who are this successful, this quickly, almost never leave this fast.

The most obvious coach with a similar story would be Barry Switzer, who went 34-14 during his first three seasons with the Cowboys and won a Super Bowl before leaving after a 6-10 season in his fourth and final NFL campaign — but even his career path comes up short to Harbaugh’s. Switzer took over a team that had won consecutive Super Bowls and all but retired at the age of 60 after leaving the Cowboys. Pete Carroll was fired by the Jets after one year and went 27-21 with the Patriots before being let go for Bill Belichick and taking over USC as a third or fourth choice, which isn’t the same. Red Miller went 40-22 with the Orange Crush Broncos, but he was fired after an 8-8 season and would coach only part of a USFL season before becoming an investment broker. Harbaugh’s path — take over struggling NFL team, produce dominant results, leave to rebuild a college team — is, to my knowledge, unprecedented in modern football.

So why now? Why would Harbaugh do something that nobody expected? Well, given that most coaches who start 44-19-1 with their new teams don’t leave very frequently, it has to start with his current position becoming untenable. There was smoke surrounding Harbaugh’s tenure with the 49ers dating back to February, when rumors of a failed trade to Cleveland prompted stories about the split between Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke. Those stories have continued to sprout up during the 2014 season. It would be fair to conclude there was some fire to them.

Harbaugh might have also expected the San Francisco job to look less attractive in years to come. The 49ers have already committed $151 million to their 2015 cap, a figure topped by only the New Orleans Saints. The 49ers can create cap space by cutting Stevie Johnson (saving them $6 million), Ahmad Brooks ($6.6 million), and Phil Dawson ($2.6 million), but they also haven’t re-signed key contributors like Mike Iupati, Perrish Cox, and Frank Gore, while Justin Smith is reportedly retiring. There’s reason to believe the 2015 49ers won’t be as talented as the 2014 49ers. That alone might have been enough to encourage Harbaugh to seek greener pastures.

Expecting to leave, Harbaugh would have surveyed the NFL scene and rightly wondered if there was an available job worth taking. The Dolphins were seen as a natural landing point, given owner Stephen Ross’s public flirtations with Harbaugh in January 2011, before the pleated one chose to join San Francisco. You could make a tangible case that it would be a decent fit for Harbaugh; the Dolphins have a reasonably talented young quarterback in Ryan Tannehill, stars on both sides of the football, and appear to have stagnated at or around .500 under Joe Philbin.

But when Ross went in the locker room after last week’s win and proclaimed that the Dolphins were going to retain Philbin for another season, it appeared to bring the Harbaugh-in-Miami story to a close. It was, in hindsight, the first piece of critical evidence that Harbaugh was probably leaving the professional game. Ross surely wanted to get ahead of the story and make it seem like the Dolphins had turned Harbaugh down, even if that hadn’t been the case behind closed doors.

Harbaugh was otherwise most commonly linked to the Raiders, but that was always going to be a desperation ploy from Oakland. From Harbaugh’s perspective, why would he prefer the Raiders job to the gig at Michigan? The things that made the Raiders job palatable are also available at his alma mater. Harbaugh would have likely been in a position to demand full control of player personnel in Oakland, but he obviously will get that at Michigan.

A desperate Mark Davis surely would also have paid Harbaugh top dollar to stay by the Bay, but Harbaugh isn’t leaving any money on the table by going back to college. Rumors suggest he will sign a six-year, $48 million deal with Michigan, a deal that blows his five-year, $25 million deal with the 49ers out of the water and compares favorably to any coach’s contract at any level. Harbaugh would become the highest-paid coach in college football at $8 million per year, and while NFL coaching salaries aren’t public, published reports suggest that the highest-paid NFL coach is Sean Payton, who also makes $8 million. Harbaugh was reportedly miffed that the 49ers wouldn’t pay him the going rate for Super Bowl–caliber coaches. Now, he’s getting paid like he’s won one.

Harbaugh won’t be the last NFL coach to see those sort of opportunities become available and be interested, either. The playing field between college and pro opportunities has been leveled to an extent that simply hasn’t been the case in decades. Top college jobs will match the money available to even the highest-paid NFL coaches while simultaneously offering greater job security.

Harbaugh would have likely found it difficult to extract a six-year deal from another NFL team, while the likes of Bob Stoops and Saban have recently received extensions through 2020 from Oklahoma and Alabama, respectively. And that’s before getting into the 10-year deal Charlie Weis signed to stay at Notre Dame through 2016. It would be foolish for an outgoing NFL coach to not at least consider using a college gig as leverage. And if the pieces come together as perfectly as they did for Harbaugh, it’s no longer out of the question for a coach to actually take the job and see it as a step forward.

As for the 49ers, the happy face they’ve placed on what amounts to a firing doesn’t make the task ahead any easier. Hiring Harbaugh was a transformative move for this organization, especially after the struggles of previous head coaches Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary. The odds San Francisco will find another leader of Harbaugh’s caliber are virtually nil, if only because a coach as good as Harbaugh simply doesn’t come around very frequently."

Give it a year, he will be recruiting like Saban does at Bama! Kids will want to go there just off the name and previous success.

Seany, thanks for finding and posting that article. Great information and angle.

So Harbaugh did not want to be highest paid coach even in Big Ten. He wanted more for his assistants. Will get $5M per year and complete control of football ops. This includes higher salaries for assistants. Basically same contract he had at San Fran.

Good to see coaches continue to see the value in quality assistants getting paid with less turnover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BTN already pimping him. The Gopher women's basketball game was supposed to be replayed at 10:00 this morning and they replaced it with Michigan against Notre Dame with the Michigan Jesus at quarterback. I hope he falls flat on his face.

Starts scheming for his next Pro job in Chicago.

Except he could already have that job if he wanted it.

Give it a year, he will be recruiting like Saban does at Bama! Kids will want to go there just off the name and previous success.

I'll give it a month. I bet he ends up with a pretty good recruiting class by signing day 2015.

So our game with them next year should be a little closer than this year.

Seany, thanks for finding and posting that article. Great information and angle.

Sure thing.

RE: recruiting, it's unfortunately already starting. Thiyo Lukusa, 5 star OT from Traverse City, MI with offers from Ohio State, Michigan State, Georgia, Wisconsin, Nebraska etc etc.; Kareem Walker, 5 star RB from Wayne, NJ with offers from the likes of Oregon, Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State, Florida, etc etc etc.; and Iman Marshall, 5 star CB/ATH (7th overall prospect in class of 2015) from Long Beach, CA with offers from Bama, Oregon, Ole Miss, Arizona, LSU, Ohio State, and on and on and on- all of these guys who had either completely removed Michigan from their list or had dropped them to the very bottom of it prior to the Harbaugh hiring, suddenly Michigan is back in serious play for them.

His hiring is a game-changer in the B10.

What happens first?

Likely a flood of recruits. Don't like it one bit.

Edit: Looks like captain obious was extrememly late to this party. Rip away.

What happens first?

Likely a flood of recruits. Don't like it one bit.

Edit: Looks like captain obious was extrememly late to this party. Rip away.

I'm guessing this has turned john kellys' head... I know we are solidly in the mix, but this may be a game changer.

Michigan will always attract better talent than Stanford

I'm not sure what you're basing this on. Stanford has one advantage that no other major college football program in the country has: if you want to play major college football and go to a truly elite academic institution, Stanford is your one and only choice. The right recruiter can exploit this to go into far-flung areas and recruit elite academic prospects, while being geographically proximate to the deep and broad talent pool in California. They finished recruiting at #5 in the country according to Rivals in 2012 and #14 in 2014 (ahead of Michigan both years) and had an excellent but small class in 2013. Their average star rating has been in the top 3 or 4 in the Pac 12 every year since Shaw took over (going up against USC and Oregon), while Michigan is located in a dying part of the country and doesn't have the cachet that it once did. I know which program I would choose if I were a stud prospect in CA, TX, or FL and took my academics seriously - and it sure as hell wouldn't be Michigan.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Would it be unprecedented to go from College to NFL, to College to NFL again? Seems like once you are in the NFL you don't go back to college again unless you want to stay there.

Pete Carroll and Bill Walsh are two that spring to mind.

Top Bottom