What happens first with Harbaugh at Michigan?

• He leads Michigan to the College Football Playoffs

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • He heads back to the NFL

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • Other

Votes: 16 19.5%

• Total voters

Stan

Reaction score

I would bet he will have a hard time winning the Eastern Division. He will need to beat TOSU, Michigan State, and Penn State no small task and this is not some house cleaning, this is a rebuilding job. They are not who they think they are. They are not the big offensive line, the two back offense with a play action QB. That went away about 5 years ago. And the rugged Michigan Defense, come on man. He will give it they old Michigan try, but I think the results will not be there.

Penn St? Michigan was better than Penn St this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questions: what type of system does Harbaugh want to play?
Does he have the players on the roster to execute that system?
Will Harbaugh prove to be an effective recruiter?
If he does not have immediate success, will he be able to co-exist with the boosters?

Personally, I could see this going one of two ways. A. His name value brings in some good recruits, and MI is back battling for the division title in a couple of years. OR B. the team struggles, and Harbaugh gets in trouble for comments/dealings with boosters (another Bo Pellini in the waiting).

Time will tell.

This was worst case scenario in my mind. He will turn them around instantly. Titles will be won. This is not good for the Gophers. I'm just glad that we don't play them every year, especially when they become the best of the best in 2-3 years.

I would bet he will have a hard time winning the Eastern Division. He will need to beat TOSU, Michigan State, and Penn State no small task and this is not some house cleaning, this is a rebuilding job. They are not who they think they are. They are not the big offensive line, the two back offense with a play action QB. That went away about 5 years ago. And the rugged Michigan Defense, come on man. He will give it they old Michigan try, but I think the results will not be there.

He inherited a crap Stanford program and was beating USC and Oregon within a few years. Michigan will always attract better talent than Stanford and other than OSU he's not going to be facing better talent than Oregon and USC regularly. Not only that but his style of play is perfect for Michigan. It may take a few recruiting classes but my guess is he'll have them as a top 10 program in 2-3 years.

Hoke has definitely recruited the players that he wanted for a power run, play action type offense. They weren't or aren't any good yet but it should be an easier transition than what Hoke had to go to from Rich Rod's spread and the players recruited. They have some very big highly touted offensive lineman, good TEs, RBs Derrick Green, Deveon Smith, QBs Morris and Speight are the type of guys Harbaugh would want.

Serious question: If you guys really do think that Harbaugh will be back in the NFL in a couple of years than why wouldn't he just stay in the NFL right now? I get that Oakland probably isn't the best franchise to win a SB but the Bears, Falcons, Jets jobs all just opened up. If he is going to be back in the league in a couple years than why wouldn't he just take one of those jobs right now.

Serious question: If you guys really do think that Harbaugh will be back in the NFL in a couple of years than why wouldn't he just stay in the NFL right now? I get that Oakland probably isn't the best franchise to win a SB but the Bears, Falcons, Jets jobs all just opened up. If he is going to be back in the league in a couple years than why wouldn't he just take one of those jobs right now.
My guess is right now he wants the paycheck and the chance to turn his alma mater back into a powerhouse. As the years go on, it is going to grate on him that his brother has won a Super Bowl and he didn't.

Other: He will piss off the administration and fan base.

Did Jim kick your dog?

Taking the Michigan Job gets him the most press which is what his ego wants more than anything. Remember, if Jim H walked through a hotel lobby and no one recognized him, he would have himself paged.

Depends on which one shows up.

The Detroit Free Press ran with the story, and had a picture of the wrong Harbaugh.

Nice work, Freep:

B6Bxbw0IAAA-89Y.jpg

Penn St? Michigan was better than Penn St this year.

Penn State was still under Sandusky Sanctions. They are now back to full recruiting numbers. And they have missed on very few recruits, meaning scholarships have contributed. The results this year were spotty, but make no mistake they will be a force in the east. And will be a tough out.

2015 class looking to be number 9 in the nation, number 2 in the big 10

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

More sleeping giant nonsense? Yeah yeah, the only teams that will ever be relevant in the Big Ten will be those that were great in the '90's.

Takes Bears job on eve of Super Bowl.

I can't speak for others but I just think he is someone who doesn't like to be in one place for a long time. I think right now this is what he wants but five years down the road it may be different.

I can't speak for others but I just think he is someone who doesn't like to be in one place for a long time. I think right now this is what he wants but five years down the road it may be different.

Or two...

Well he left San Diego for a much better job, left Stanford for a much better job, and parted ways with San Fran after not getting along well in the niners front office. I can see him staying for a while.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Would it be unprecedented to go from College to NFL, to College to NFL again? Seems like once you are in the NFL you don't go back to college again unless you want to stay there.

He'll do great, this is good for the B1G

F the B1G. I'm a Gopher fan and I'll cheer for them the same the day the B1G dissolves and we join the SEC.

Do you think Michigan fans were hoping we would land Tony Dungy so we could resurrect the dominant teams we had from the 50s and 60s in hopes of improving the B1G? No chance. They were hoping we would hire Tim Brewster's brother so they could kick our a$$es again for the next 40 years. I want to beat Michigan 20 years in a row, and it won't happen with Harbaugh as their coach.

Outside of this move which was "mutual", he has always taken a promotion. Hell he didn't get paid for the first 8 years of his career.

As coach:

WKU (1994–2001) (unpaid asst.)
Oakland Raiders (2002–2003) (QB)
San Diego (2004–2006)
Stanford (2007–2010)
San Francisco 49ers (2011–2014)

This is exactly what I was thinking. Would it be unprecedented to go from College to NFL, to College to NFL again? Seems like once you are in the NFL you don't go back to college again unless you want to stay there.

I think he will be at Michigan for at least 5 years if not more and they will be back on top when he leaves. He won't get fired.

F the B1G. I'm a Gopher fan and I'll cheer for them the same the day the B1G dissolves and we join the SEC.

Do you think Michigan fans were hoping we would land Tony Dungy so we could resurrect the dominant teams we had from the 50s and 60s in hopes of improving the B1G? No chance. They were hoping we would hire Tim Brewster's brother so they could kick our a$$es again for the next 40 years. I want to beat Michigan 20 years in a row, and it won't happen with Harbaugh as their coach.

Thats funny. Hell, I even read a Michigan Scout forum where multiple posters WANTED us to keep Jeff Jones just to strengthen the conference and spread the wealth a little bit since they already had two 4 and 5 star backs in their previous class.

Do you really think he'll retire at Michigan? I think he moves on and that's to the NFL. But he has to be successful or his options
will be fewer. It's the alma mater and they are offering $8 million dollars per year and there is no where to go but up for Michigan football. Not hard to see why he took the job, but will he be happy? He has nooo idea who his boss will be? Who has his back in a crisis? How on board is the president of Michigan? Some people are abhorred the state university is offering $8 million to a football coach. Not all faculty will welcome him. Harbaugh isn't easy to get along with... He is not a meet and greet sort. It'll be interesting if somebody in the NFL doesn't offer $10 million before it gets done. Good gosh...

Michigan is a helmet school with a national recruiting base that has been down for awhile. The networks so want them to be successful that they have a huge advantage over every other B1G school not named theOSU. Glad the Gophers don't play them every year.

Outside of this move which was "mutual", he has always taken a promotion. Hell he didn't get paid for the first 8 years of his career.

As coach:

WKU (1994–2001) (unpaid asst.)
Oakland Raiders (2002–2003) (QB)
San Diego (2004–2006)
Stanford (2007–2010)
San Francisco 49ers (2011–2014)

I believe all he did at WKU was recruit. He played in the NFL until 2000ish.

Top Bottom