What Happened to Rodney Williams?

cologoph

colorado member
Reaction score
I have been perplexed as to what happened to Rodney? As a senior he did not provide good leadership and played poorly. He played reasonably well during the 15-1 streak but not so well during the 6-12 streak. It appeared that he had loss his confidence and was out of position at times. I felt badly for him and the team. The coach seemed to not know how to handle Rodney.

Big ten coaches fiqured out how to defend his atleticism. He did not have good instincts and was unable to develop a good outside shot

I have been perplexed as to what happened to Rodney? As a senior he did not provide good leadership and played poorly. He played reasonably well during the 15-1 streak but not so well during the 6-12 streak. It appeared that he had loss his confidence and was out of position at times. I felt badly for him and the team. The coach seemed to not know how to handle Rodney.

he couldn't beeat anyone off the dribble that was athletic enough to gaurd him or hit an outside shot. pretty simple.

Big ten coaches fiqured out how to defend his atleticism. He did not have good instincts and was unable to develop a good outside shot

Perhaps his own coach/staff should have helped him develop his outside shot and put him in a position to use his athleticism to his/Gophs advantage?

Your one sided approach is obvious.

THE BURNER!

Who cares? His careers over stop rehashing what was discussed a month ago and support him at the next level.

Rodney is most likely headed over to Europe for now to play ball. Wish him luck.

Perhaps his own coach/staff should have helped him develop his outside shot and put him in a position to use his athleticism to his/Gophs advantage?

Your one sided approach is obvious.

THE BURNER!

What are you trying to say?

Rodney's shot certainly improved from the time he was a freshman to now, and he started scoring way more after the coaches moved him to power forward.

There's plenty of people that you can say Tubby did not develop/utilize well, but I view Rodney as a success story.

Seems as if Rodney just ended up being a little too overrated. He had the hops to do incredible dunks, but that's about it.

Rodney's shot certainly improved from the time he was a freshman to now, and he started scoring way more after the coaches moved him to power forward.

There's plenty of people that you can say Tubby did not develop/utilize well, but I view Rodney as a success story.

Quite a success averaging less than 10 points a game and appearing not to be able to move.

Tubby Smith didn't recruit enough guys who can shoot the basketball. That's why people think he is a bad coach. Joe Coleman and Rodney Williams are not good shooters and couldn't keep defenses honest, and Austin Hollins was brutal the last half of the year also. I don't care if you have Coach K, Izzo or Pitino coaching this team, you aren't going to win in the B1G consistently with one guy who can shoot the ball. And for the guy who said Tubby needed to be out teaching Rodney Williams how to shoot....GET A CLUE!!!!! There is not one B1G basketball coach who is teaching guys how to shoot. Yeah they practice shooting, just like every team, but Rodney and Joe have to do that on their own. Do you honestly think that someone on tOSU coaching staff taught Aaron Craft to shot the way he shoots? Good God if there is they need to be fired.

Quite a success averaging less than 10 points a game and appearing not to be able to move.

To be fair, he actually averaged over 10 ppg, (10.1).

I think the Tubby had a lot to do with his success. Rodney couldn't shoot and looked lost as a freshman. Each year he's improved his jump shot, defense, and become a little bit stronger. He's also said Tubby has been a mentor to him and helped him mature.

There's plenty of people that you can say didn't improve under Tubby, but Rodney is not one of them - even if he did disappear down the stretch.

Even in high school, Rodney was never a very instinctive player or had a tremendous "feel" for the game. I think this is part of the reason he sometimes looks lost, doesn't has a feel for the game, or as cologoph said, "appears not able to move."

Seems as if Rodney just ended up being a little too overrated. He had the hops to do incredible dunks, but that's about it.

This. A highlight factory what with the incredible dunks, but it seemed like that was the best of him. His game never seemed to progress, but rather just stultify if not actually regress. Was that on Rodney, his coaching, or both?

I think it was the @ IU game when Rodney hurt his shoulder. Whenever it was he was never same player. At least as an undersized four he could score, but I just don't think he mentally got over his shoulder injury

Rodney Williams should have played Football as a young kid and not basketball. Rodney had little to zero skills with a basketball. He could not dribble, shoot, pass, or catch the basketball deep into his Senior season.

Rodney will play in Europe. Good luck to him...but he should have played Football as a tight end.

Rodney Williams should have played Football as a young kid and not basketball. Rodney had little to zero skills with a basketball. He could not dribble, shoot, pass, or catch the basketball deep into his Senior season.

Rodney will play in Europe. Good luck to him...but he should have played Football as a tight end.

This is a really stupid post! If Rodney can have a career in Europe, good for him. Not everyone gets that opportunity and many make a ton of money over seas. And if he plays professionally across the pond, that means he has game. You should trash all the players that played at the U that didnt make it to the nba. Hoff, Damien, al, etc etc etc etc

Yes, Rodney will play in Europe...for three years.

Congrats to him and good luck. But he should have tried Football.

His athletic ability did not transfer to basketball the way many here thought it would.

Rodney's last 12 games were horrible, just horrible. The guy can't shoot a lick nor dribble drive past a statue.

RW was a success story in that he completed 4 years of college BB, didnt get in trouble, and seemed to get along with his teammates.

His BB success is limited, imo. His ballhandling skills did not improve much at all, his shot is very inconsistent, and he generally didnt have a great attitude when he needed to the most - as things were going wrong.

Maybe he himself didnt put in the work to make him the best he can be, I just dont know.

What happened to Rodney Williams?

He turned down the head coaching job too.

I think it was the @ IU game when Rodney hurt his shoulder. Whenever it was he was never same player. At least as an undersized four he could score, but I just don't think he mentally got over his shoulder injury

There was also a game before that when he slipped and did the splits. He was clearly hurt. He did not seem to play as hard after that. I always wondered if that lingered a lot longer then he let on.

Rodney

Rodney as a te. What was he 6'6" 185 lbs comming into college? Now 210 on a day after eating pasta. I think you have Rodney mixed up with Trevor. Trevor is probably under 6'7" and is about 250, which makes him very similar to Gronkowski. Trevor has some of the best hands in basketball, an impressive vertical, and likes contact. If he doesn't make the NBA you just never know. I am guessing that he would have good straight ahead speed being such an athlete.

As far as Rodney goes he was blessed with an incredible jumping ability on a small frame. I wouldnt say he was blessed with other great athletism as far as quickness goes. He just never had the mental game of basketball come, he never got beyond beying a poor ball handler, and a below average shooter. Athletiscm can only take you so far and for Rodney that was highlight dunks and blocks. If he was 6'9" 230 that would be enough.

EE will play in the NBA and Rodney won't. If you were in a foxhole, which would you want with you?

Rodney as a te. What was he 6'6" 185 lbs comming into college? Now 210 on a day after eating pasta. I think you have Rodney mixed up with Trevor. Trevor is probably under 6'7" and is about 250, which makes him very similar to Gronkowski. Trevor has some of the best hands in basketball, an impressive vertical, and likes contact. If he doesn't make the NBA you just never know. I am guessing that he would have good straight ahead speed being such an athlete.

As far as Rodney goes he was blessed with an incredible jumping ability on a small frame. I wouldnt say he was blessed with other great athletism as far as quickness goes. He just never had the mental game of basketball come, he never got beyond beying a poor ball handler, and a below average shooter. Athletiscm can only take you so far and for Rodney that was highlight dunks and blocks. If he was 6'9" 230 that would be enough.

Trevor has some of the best hands in basketball?

Wasn't sure where else to post this, but as of Thursday NBADraft.Net has Trevor and Rodney going back to back in the second round at picks 44 and 45 to the Lakers and Bucks.

For all everyone wants to knock these guys and say they have no future, I'd say it looks pretty good they both are at least drafted.

Top Bottom