What happened to Jacob Thomas?

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
i would love for him to transfer to the gophs for next year. he absolutly lit pulley league up, i remember 1 game where he had 50 points easy. He ran the point when El Amin wasnt there, and did a damn good job. Reminds me of devoes game, but more athletic and just overall better

i would love for him to transfer to the gophs for next year. he absolutly lit pulley league up, i remember 1 game where he had 50 points easy. He ran the point when El Amin wasnt there, and did a damn good job. Reminds me of devoes game, but more athletic and just overall better

Depends on academics I would guess. Has he had any behavioral problems that may shy Tubby away?

Is he no longer at Long Beach though? If he can't get eligible there, he won't here.

He was at LBSU with Monson...

On ESPN, it has him on Long Beach State's roster, but it doesn't have him playing in any games

I thought I read that he didn't qualify academically and had to sit out his first year. I guess that would mean he is redshirting.

I don't think there was any chance he'd get in at the U. Very unfortunate because I really like his game as well. It'd be great to have a scorer on the roster with Blake gone next year (and Devoe). Obviously the Hollins' and Coleman should help, but you can't have enough shooters..and ball handlers.

Does any know who Tubby is thinking about for Devoe's scholly? Will he save it or try to get someone yet for next year?

Depends on academics I would guess. Has he had any behavioral problems that may shy Tubby away?

Is he no longer at Long Beach though? If he can't get eligible there, he won't here.

Since when has that stopped him? He only rules out players if they have a jump shot.:D

From 9/15/10:
My understanding is that he's taking classes, but is a nonqualifier and won't be practicing or doing anything with the team this season. If he can get his grades right in his first year at LBSU, he could become eligible to play next season.

I think that's where things still stand (but not positive on if any partial waiver was obtained.. doubtful, but possible)

Six-foot-3 middle blocker Alma Serna (Capistrano Valley High) and 6-4 guard Jacob Thomas (Columbia Heights in Minnesota), who signed volleyball and basketball letters of intent with Long Beach State last November but didn't meet all of the NCAA academic requirements to be eligible as freshmen, attended classes when the fall semester got underway at LBSU on Monday.

As non-qualifiers, they cannot be granted athletic scholarships or practice or play with Brian Gimmillaro's and Dan Monson's programs this school year. They are eligible, though, for the same academic advice and tutorial help available to other LBSU athletes.

They need to pass 24 units apiece (in LBSU courses) in order to be eligible for athletic scholarships and to practice and play for their respective programs during the 2011-12 school year.

Speculating on what kind of impact they can have on the programs is pointless until the moment their eligibility has been earned in the classroom, which is the stance Gimmillaro and Monson are taking.

From the Long Beach PressTelegram

Do the Gophers really need more off-court drama? A player who can't even practice due to academics doesn't sound like he'd be much help to me.

well when he drops 27 ppg in high school, and pretty much begged to be a gopher, its hard to turn down someone whom you need at that position (PG/SG) bet hed be eligible in the SEC right now

I've never heard about any "off-court" issues with Thomas. Everything negative has been geared towards academics. Could Tubby have given Thomas the same deal LBS did? We could really use him. I aslo agree that he is like Devoe but better, plus he wants to be a Gopher. As far as grades go some kids mature later then others. Much was said about Rodney's academics and he's been eligible of 2 years now. Tubby should've given him a chance and would love to see Thomas in a Gopher uniform if there were any possiblitly.

Academics are off-court issues that keep you from playing in my book. I'm surprised some Gopher fans want a player who could give you more drama and be a total waste of time - who's to say he would ever get eligible? If he can't get eligible to play at Long Beach, how could he possibly get & remain eligible at Minnesota?

There are a lot of players out there that can get eligible & play very well at the college level ... and most of them aren't from Minnesota. Tubby is doing a good job of getting quality recruits from outside the state. A student-athlete's ability to get and remain academically eligible is a lot more important than where they're from. The fact that he was ineligible to start with is a MAJOR red flag. I'm surprised that, after all that's happened the past couple years, some of you really want to add a kid who's made more news for off-court issues than on-court performance since his collegiate career started. You haven't had enough drama the past couple years? I'm not saying Thomas lacks talent, but guys with his talent level aren't all that hard to find.

He would have been here if he had better grades.

so my point is, Al is still here. Rodney is here. Oto didnt qualify. why not thomas? i think tubby thought the drama was gone, but if hed known devoe would leave, jacob would be on the bench right now using a redshirt.

so my point is, Al is still here. Rodney is here. Oto didnt qualify. why not thomas? i think tubby thought the drama was gone, but if hed known devoe would leave, jacob would be on the bench right now using a redshirt.

If he would have waited longer to commit and sign we probably would have had a scholarship available to him in the spring. We were waiting on Corey Joseph in the fall. We didn't want to take a commitment from a subpar student at that point in time. In the spring multiple scholarships opened up that likely weren't anticipated to be available in the fall.

If he would have waited longer to commit and sign we probably would have had a scholarship available to him in the spring. We were waiting on Corey Joseph in the fall. We didn't want to take a commitment from a subpar student at that point in time. In the spring multiple scholarships opened up that likely weren't anticipated to be available in the fall.

Rodney committed in the fall of his senior with poor grades and a low ACT score. Thomas committed to LBS the fall of his senior year. LBS committed to Thomas like the Gophers committed to Williams and Oto. If they did the same for Thomas he'd be a Gopher right now, just like Oto. I know there's a love affair with these young Gopher gaurds but Thomas is more-skilled then any of them with the exception of maybe Andre Hollins.

Rodney committed in the fall of his senior with poor grades and a low ACT score. Thomas committed to LBS the fall of his senior year. LBS committed to Thomas like the Gophers committed to Williams and Oto. If they did the same for Thomas he'd be a Gopher right now, just like Oto. I know there's a love affair with these young Gopher gaurds but Thomas is more-skilled then any of them with the exception of maybe Andre Hollins.

We took Rodney's commitment because he was a top 100 player (top 30 on ESPN) with a high ceiling. I'm sure we wouldn't offer and take Thomas' commitment because internally we had him rated lower than other prospects. We had three scholarships available last fall. One went to a big (Elliott Eliason), one went to a wing (Hollins) and the other was being reserved for a PG (C. Joseph was our top target). If Thomas would have waited to commit he likely would have gotten the scholarship that eventually went to Armelin after Paul Carter, Justin Cobbs and Royce White's scholarships became available.

We took Rodney's commitment because he was a top 100 player (top 30 on ESPN) with a high ceiling. I'm sure we wouldn't offer and take Thomas' commitment because internally we had him rated lower than other prospects. We had three scholarships available last fall. One went to a big (Elliott Eliason), one went to a wing (Hollins) and the other was being reserved for a PG (C. Joseph was our top target). If Thomas would have waited to commit he likely would have gotten the scholarship that eventually went to Armelin after Paul Carter, Justin Cobbs and Royce White's scholarships became available.

This is a hypethetical question. Do you think, at anytime Tubby told Thomas to wait and if a scholarship opened up he would get it? I think Thomas, who let it be know that he wanted to be a Gopher would've accepted those terms and waited. But that's only my opinion.

Wishful thinking...

Jacob is getting good grades at Long Beach he is working out hard and improving his game. He will attend summer semester at the UofM and join the team next fall.

MN didn't spend much time on Jacob once they realized he had no chance of getting into school.

Monson used to say, and I think he is right and that Tubby agrees with him, that you can take players with grade issues, you just can't take a lot of them. It creates a bad culture if you have a lot of them, and they are not reliable parts of the team. Al is not a great example to use as to why taking kids with grade issues is okay. He missed the BigTen season his junior year because of grades. That issue should be behind a player by the time they are a junior, but it was not. He owned all of that.

Howard College is also were Carlos Emory and Joe Bright (Cooper) play. Worked out for Carlos so hopefully, Jacob will find similar success

Top Bottom