What happened to football tradition and toughness?

CP Gopher

Reaction score
The Mankato/UMD game sceduled for this afternoon has been postponed due to snowy and wet field conditions. My god, it's FOOTBALL! Are you kidding me?

Have they postponed the high school games? Would look pretty bad if the high schools can play and the colleges can't.

I know the Triton / Maple Lake game in Lakeville has been postponed until Monday.

Pathetic and unbelievable. It is 6 inches of snow. It is a dream for kids to play in the these conditions.

If the Gophers were at home today...that would have been a BLAST!

Just more evidence of the softening of the nation, IMO. We've come a long, long way (down) since the days of Joe Kapp & Bud Grant at the Met. Very sad.

In the case of the high school games, it likely has more to do with liability concerns pertaining to transportation to the games.

Can't speak to Duluth and Mankato but the Triton / Maple Lake game was almost certainly cancelled because travel was dangerous. 35W south of Lakeville was closed this morning about the time a decision would have been made because road conditions were so poor. An hour ago cars were still going into the ditch on 35W south of Lakeville. One right ahead of me flew in and we saw numerous others. And then, last week a Blooming Praire student was killed in an accident a few miles from Triton high school on the way to a football palyoff game. That was probably a bigger factor than whether they were tough enough to play.

UMD generally travels to football road games the day before.
The link I read stated the football game was cancelled due to field conditions, and that the UMD/Mankato volleyball match was cancelled because of poor roads.
So I'm assuming the football team was already there, while volleyball was going to travel this morning.

Top Bottom