What happened to Coach Kill?

Simply put, kids/recruits are materialistic. It doesn't matter what kind of equipment or jersey combos a school has if their coach is broke. This game is all about recruits and it is going to only get harder to bring them to Minnesota under these conditions.

"That quote-unquote fans are even suggesting he step down or the program go in a different direction is the height of knee-jerk stupidity that tarnishes the legitimate program recovery that's going on in Dinkytown. It's his health and life -- I'll leave it up to his family and medical team to determine the proper steps he needs to take in order to treat his epilepsy."

" the legitimate program recovery that's going on in Dinkytown."

Sorry, there's little evidence of a program on the rise. We're in the same situation as year two of Brew. To be clear, I'm not calling for any change at this time. JK is one of the most inspirational people I've ever seen. However, if his health continues to be an issue and the play on the field is no better next year it would be time to discuss a change.

NO, NO....Hell to the no.

No way do you promote either of those guys. First off both have the personality of a sponge, I can't imagine either of them closing the "deal" on a recruit. Second; from a schematic standpoint I'm not impressed with either of them. One hasn't developed any kind of a consistent offense and the other it appears doesn't know much about defensive line play at this level.

On a side note: What are the chances Sargent Pyle negotiated a exit clause in Kills contract in the event his health became a issue? If he didn't, good f'ing luck trying not to pay every penny he is owed on that contract.

With that being said I feel for Kill, in the end your health is more important than anything. I wouldn't wish ill health on anyone.

I am absolutely not advocating the U to dismiss Kill, I just am talking hypothetically.

The second part about the contract isn't neccesarily true. You could easily make an argument that someone is medically unable to perform their job and thus they are unable to satisfy their contract. If his health became an issue and the U wanted to move on, it would be difficult for Kill to win a legal battle. It could bring up a lot of questions as to whether Kill's condition is technically a "disability" (probably) and whether or not the U has given him the appropriate amount of accomodations for his disability. However, in the case of a football coach who is medically unable to coach a portion of the games. . .I can't see another accomodation the U could make.

As far as not liking Limegrover or Claeys because they are "boring"....well, I think that's a lame argument. There are plenty of coaches who seem (from the outside) to be about as interesting as folding socks who do a great job recruiting and coaching. If something was to happen to Kill, I would hope they would promote from within.

Let's just close up shop on the entire f'ing program ehh? It's painfully obvious our media and unfortunately our fan base is so goddamn negative about everything our coach is fu$@ed before his plane lands. Stop worrying about " what if it gets worse, what if, we'll have to do something if..... . In the words of Nick Saban " settle the f@%k down.
Your perpetuating the problem and this undue pressure being put on Kill and staff by a negative, unrealistic, impatient fan base and media is not helping things.

Let's just close up shop on the entire f'ing program ehh? It's painfully obvious our media and unfortunately our fan base is so goddamn negative about everything our coach is fu$@ed before his plane lands. Stop worrying about " what if it gets worse, what if, we'll have to do something if..... . In the words of Nick Saban " settle the f@%k down.
Your perpetuating the problem and this undue pressure being put on Kill and staff by a negative, unrealistic, impatient fan base and media is not helping things.

+1,000,000

Great post!! Let's show some loyalty and continue to get after it!!

Yes this is a problem.

It's showtime 12 days a year for him.

He's missed games two years in a row.

Sorry, there's little evidence of a program on the rise. We're in the same situation as year two of Brew. To be clear, I'm not calling for any change at this time. JK is one of the most inspirational people I've ever seen. However, if his health continues to be an issue and the play on the field is no better next year it would be time to discuss a change.

Wait.. Little evidence of a program on the rise?! In nearly every aspect we are better in year 2 than we were in year 1 of the Jerry Kill rebuild. We doubled our wins, swept non-conference, and are bowling (which wasn't predicted by most of the talking heads this pre-season). Our defense is ranked in the upper half of the FBS and we scored on 3 of Minnesota's 4 biggest recruits last recruiting period.

All that aside, you don't make changes after year 3 in a rebuild.

Yes this is a problem.

It's showtime 12 days a year for him.

He's missed games two years in a row.

?!@?! He missed HALF of a game. HALF of a game, and ONE PLAY.

If it had to go this route please let it be Claeys

I agree. Of the coordinators, Claeys appears to be more impressive. I can't say anything about the position coaches. There's been a huge change in the offensive and defensive frameworks, thus calling for a change in teaching methods. Too early to say if the position coaches are doing a good or bad job in that effort.

I don't know if we are a team on the rise or not. I want to be optimistic, but the nature of our losses this year makes it look like we're a team that won't lose games we are supposed to win (an important first step), but I can't say we were close to upsetting anyone. We were physically dominated by a bad Iowa team. That's not a good sign.

?!@?! He missed HALF of a game. HALF of a game, and ONE PLAY.

I don't think it really matters if was only one play or only 1/2 a game-it still happened. Hope it works out but anytime a coach misses practices, games, etc. = it is a problem.

I don't think it really matters if was only one play or only 1/2 a game-it still happened. Hope it works out but anytime a coach misses practices, games, etc. = it is a problem.

Good *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Why hasn't Urban or Dantonio been fired for their health issues? Oh, the circumstances are different? At any time Jerry could have a seizure during a game. And at any moment Dantonio can drop dead from a heart attack. And any time during an OSU game, Urban might just collapse.

Again, I agree that the issue doesn't shine the program in a great light.. but that's not the seizure's fault, nor Jerry's, nor the U's. It's the ignorance of the mass's fault. Just like when people ignorantly separated themselves from those who had AIDS or were HIV-positive.

Good *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Why hasn't Urban or Dantonio been fired for their health issues? Oh, the circumstances are different? At any time Jerry could have a seizure during a game. And at any moment Dantonio can drop dead from a heart attack. And any time during an OSU game, Urban might just collapse.

Again, I agree that the issue doesn't shine the program in a great light.. but that's not the seizure's fault, nor Jerry's, nor the U's. It's the ignorance of the mass's fault. Just like when people ignorantly separated themselves from those who had AIDS or were HIV-positive.

First off no coach can get fired for health issues unless those health issues make it impossible for them to do their job.

Kill's situation is very different than Dantonio's so that comparison is not valid at all. A heart attack is typically a single event and one that causes major changes in diet and general health management after the fact. Epilepsy is an ongoing condition that pops up from time to time based on external factors, the two medical issues are very different.

Urban Meyer did step away from coaching due to health issues. Clearly he and his family feels they have things back under control and therefore he has returned to coaching. Should the problems come back it will most likely force him to retire at that point.

Kill's condtion is manageable and not a reason for him to get fired, it may however be the kind of thing where if the stress and pressure of being at this level is making things worse he may have to step down for health reasons.

First off no coach can get fired for health issues unless those health issues make it impossible for them to do their job.

Kill's situation is very different than Dantonio's so that comparison is not valid at all. A heart attack is typically a single event and one that causes major changes in diet and general health management after the fact. Epilepsy is an ongoing condition that pops up from time to time based on external factors, the two medical issues are very different.

Urban Meyer did step away from coaching due to health issues. Clearly he and his family feels they have things back under control and therefore he has returned to coaching. Should the problems come back it will most likely force him to retire at that point.

Kill's condtion is manageable and not a reason for him to get fired, it may however be the kind of thing where if the stress and pressure of being at this level is making things worse he may have to step down for health reasons.

Yes. And that decision is up to him and his family. Not us. Not the media. And not the U (unless he's not fullfilling his duties to turn the program around).

I think you still are missing a major point. He already has missed time on the clock. More so than ever before. I'm not calling for his job, but you can't ignore the fact that his health has become an issue and that is not at all the media's fault or anyone else's. It's just not a good situation. You have a seizure in front of thousands of people and t.v. camera's it becomes an issue instantly.

The word "impossible" in context of the contractual issue just means that the illness would frustrate his ability to perform the contract. If Kill is missing games / parts of games every year and if he is missing practices every year...that would almost for sure be considered enough for the U to let go of Kill.

I think you still are missing a major point. He already has missed time on the clock. More so than ever before. I'm not calling for his job, but you can't ignore the fact that his health has become an issue and that is not at all the media's fault or anyone else's. It's just not a good situation. You have a seizure in front of thousands of people and t.v. camera's it becomes an issue instantly.

So what's the issue here? That he missed time on the clock? Or that he had a seizure (a bad one) in front of 50k people? Or that he has a seizure disorder? I missed a few days of work because of a recurring issue with my leg. Sure, it was an issue, but nothing that was serious and didn't effect how I or my employer handled my duties.

No matter how you cut it, it's not the big deal everyone is making it. And the media is only fanning the flames.

Top Bottom