What grade would you give Tracy Claeys as acting head coach against NU?

• A

Votes: 62 52.1%
  • B

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • C

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

We win the turnover game. We do what we have to in the second half to win. Great job!

A... would be an A+ if it weren't for that dreadful display right before halftime...

I give him an A for simply not tearing off the ref's head after that monstrous PI call.

Couldn't have asked much more of a guy's first coaching day than to get a road conference win.

He gets an A. And I think he should be on the field rather in the box when Jerry Comes Back. The defense played much better, and the interaction from Claeys being on the field was key.

A... would be an A+ if it weren't for that dreadful display right before halftime...

My feelings as well. Couldn't believe that pitiful display of offensive playcalling at the end of the first half.

Great effort by the defense. Game would have been over earlier if not for the ticky-tack pass interference call against Murray on 4th and 10.

A++. A B1G ten W and one more closer to a bowl!!

I give him a B. Would be an A if the two minute drill had been a two minute drill

The one that took 6 off the board.

That was obscene.

Ditto. That one called for Claeys to run down that side judge and give him an Arn Anderson spinning spine buster. Even that little turd Galloway found it to be nonsense.

Eat $hit Gooferfolly!

Many people predicted we would not win a single Big Ten game in 2013. Well, at least the people who post comments to StarTribune articles on the Golden Gophers. I think one of these is an @$$h0le with the moniker "gooferfolly" or something like that. So this is a very happy situation. I know this is not something one would normally cheer about, but at the end of this day, 19 October 2013, we are NOT in last place in the Big Ten - Legends Division.

I liked the second half play-calling - not so much the first half. High B for the second, Low C for the first.

B. Got the win against a banged up Northwestern. More creative play calling in the second half. Clock management a struggle. A few too many stupid penalties.

He gets an A. And I think he should be on the field rather in the box when Jerry Comes Back. The defense played much better, and the interaction from Claeys being on the field was key.

Did he interact at all with the players? He said two words on camera all game long.

Well, at least the people who post comments to StarTribune articles on the Golden Gophers.

Why would you even wade into that cesspool?

I haven't looked at the comment section in over a year, and actually haven't visited their site since the Souhan *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# storm. But from what I remember, it was evenly distributed between Gopher fans and a mix of fans from wisky, Iowa, and the Sioux who are trolling.

There is nothing of value in the comment section there. Kind of like here on a lot of days.

I give him a B. Would be an A if the two minute drill had been a two minute drill

The clock management at the end of the 1st half was not great. But we actually went for a first down instead of running it up the gut at the end and punting. In any case, a road win in these circumstances is an A, period.

Why would you even wade into that cesspool?

I haven't looked at the comment section in over a year, and actually haven't visited their site since the Souhan *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# storm. But from what I remember, it was evenly distributed between Gopher fans and a mix of fans from wisky, Iowa, and the Sioux who are trolling.
Don't you mean Bison?

Did he interact at all with the players? He said two words on camera all game long.

Was kind of wondering this as well, everytime they showed him on the broadcast he was standing there chewing his gum not talking to anyone. I am sure that wasn't the case the whole time but did anyone actually at the game pay attention to his sideline mannerisms? Based solely on the TV shots it didn't look like he was very vocal at all especially compared to what we saw out of Fitzgerald or even compared to what we have seen out of Kill in the past.

Was kind of wondering this as well, everytime they showed him on the broadcast he was standing there chewing his gum not talking to anyone. I am sure that wasn't the case the whole time but did anyone actually at the game pay attention to his sideline mannerisms? Based solely on the TV shots it didn't look like he was very vocal at all especially compared to what we saw out of Fitzgerald or even compared to what we have seen out of Kill in the past.

Sounds like he was staying true to himself and his players. In other words, there is no sense for him to pretend to be someone he isn't (Kill or Fitzgerald). He talked regularly on his headphones and probably instructed position coaches to do the talking for him. He was still calling the defense, I believe. There are a wide variety of personas on an NCAA sideline. Some talk to their players and are in their faces, while others keep a distance. Congrats on a job well done to the entire staff and players.

A-

Tough to complain about much of anything when we pull off a double digit upset on the road. Some early penalties were rough (how do we take a delay of game on a punt?). A few comments have been made about the 2 minute drill. That was a horrendously bad 2 minute drill, but if we are evaluating Claeys, I don't know how much of that was him and how much was Limegrover. Either way, very poorly executed.

On the brighter side, we showed a willingness to stick with the hot hand at QB, which to me is much more important than which guy we start. I really like what was said earlier on this thread about coaching as Tracy Claeys, and not trying to be Jerry Kill.

Tangentially related question: for official stat keeping, does this win go down as a win for Coach Kill, or does Coach Claeys actually have a head coaching record now? I think it is obvious that this is Kill's team and he deserves the win, I am just curious about how the record books score it.

Tangentially related question: for official stat keeping, does this win go down as a win for Coach Kill, or does Coach Claeys actually have a head coaching record now? I think it is obvious that this is Kill's team and he deserves the win, I am just curious about how the record books score it.

That is a really interesting question. I think the win goes to Kill because he is still officially the head coach even though he is on leave. I looked up Michigan State when Treadwell filled in for Dantonio and it looks like those games were credited to Dantonio's record and not Treadwell's.

A-

Tough to complain about much of anything when we pull off a double digit upset on the road. Some early penalties were rough (how do we take a delay of game on a punt?). A few comments have been made about the 2 minute drill. That was a horrendously bad 2 minute drill, but if we are evaluating Claeys, I don't know how much of that was him and how much was Limegrover. Either way, very poorly executed.

On the brighter side, we showed a willingness to stick with the hot hand at QB, which to me is much more important than which guy we start. I really like what was said earlier on this thread about coaching as Tracy Claeys, and not trying to be Jerry Kill.

I am curious about this. I wonder if this was Limegrover as well.

Top Bottom