What grade would you give the Gophers 2015 recruiting class?

Class grade

• A

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • B

Votes: 87 52.1%
  • C

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • D

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • F

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
Well stated. Kill and his staff deserve some leeway because they have shown then can be successful with lower ranked recruiting classes (still have not established where the ceiling is but competitive and respectable for sure). Where I think some posters in here get lost a little is in believing that Kill and his staff don't even want those high rated guys and are going out and handpicking guys that fit their system.

I guarantee most of those high ranked guys would fit our systems just fine, the reality is that for one reason or another this staff is not able to get those guys to commit. So they do the best with what they can get and again to this point they have done pretty well with that.

Have you listened to the Glasscock podcast on recruiting? I would guess not.

Have you listened to the Glasscock podcast on recruiting? I would guess not.

What did he say that was wrong? Even though this staff puts a ton of emphasis on senior film which they believe is the most important, they still would have gladly taken commitments from guys like Cornell and Seth Green before their junior year. They would be thrilled.

Well I would consider this class to possibly be Kill's best yet while OSU's class is slightly below average for their standards especially considering they are coming off a national championship. It's all relative to your previous classes IMO.

So if I follow correctly all things being relative to a team's previous class Minnesota's 2015 class is better than Ohio St's.

So if I follow correctly all things being relative to a team's previous class Minnesota's 2015 class is better than Ohio St's.

When did I say that? This class may earn a higher grade in my eyes than what OSU's would earn. That does't mean it is better. I would give both our class and OSU's solid B's though but if Alabama had the #20th ranked class that would get at D or an F and if we had the #30th ranked class I would give us an A.

When did I say that? This class may earn a higher grade in my eyes than what OSU's would earn. That does't mean it is better. I would give both our class and OSU's solid B's though but if Alabama had the #20th ranked class that would get at D or an F and if we had the #30th ranked class I would give us an A.

And here I thought the concept of a letter grade was A better than B. B better than C and so on. Now one can get an A but that doesn't mean it's better than a B.

And here I thought the concept of a letter grade was A better than B. B better than C and so on. Now one can get an A but that doesn't mean it's better than a B.

Well maybe a senior's C work is better than an eighth grader's A work. If every single one of St. Thomas's commits turned down a DI offer would that not get an A simply because OSU's class would still be better than their's?

Well maybe a senior's C work is better than an eighth grader's A work. If every single one of St. Thomas's commits turned down a DI offer would that not get an A simply because OSU's class would still be better than their's?

Compared to St Thomas's peers in their conference yes it would be an A. Just as Minnesota's class compared to their peers in conference for example Ohio St would not get a better or equal grade. Same as Alabama getting a 20th ranked class compared to their peers wouldn't get them A but certainly wouldn't get them a D.

Compared to St Thomas's peers in their conference yes it would be an A. Just as Minnesota's class compared to their peers in conference for example Ohio St would not get a better or equal grade. Same as Alabama getting a 20th ranked class compared to their peers wouldn't get them A but certainly wouldn't get them a D.

Well you could make the argument that Alabama and other non Big Ten helmet schools are closer to being peers with OSU's peers than us. They don't really compete against Big Ten teams, they just play them. 36 regular season Big Ten win streak and everything.

There are multiple ways you can rate a class. You can compare it to the classes of year's past within the program. You can also compare it to the other classes throughout the conference.

All I need to know about star rankings is that Michigan's squad is littered with 4 and 5 star recruits. The Gopher club that made them look like a bunch of fools had exactly 1 4 star kid (Pirsig?).

All I need to know about star rankings is that Michigan's squad is littered with 4 and 5 star recruits. The Gopher club that made them look like a bunch of fools had exactly 1 4 star kid (Pirsig?).

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Michigan was a dumpster fire this year. It was a nice win, but doesn't make up for the last twenty years.

I guess ESPN loves our class. We're 13 in the Big 14.

13. Minnesota Golden Gophers
National rank: 62
The Gophers have a solid class, which is heavy on defensive backs and offensive linemen. Minnesota landed junior college safety Charlie Rogers, who should be able to provide immediate help. Minnesota loses a few defensive backs to graduation, so landing Rogers was important. He is joined in the class by fellow defensive backs Alonzo Craighton, Jacob Huff, Ray Buford II and Antonio Shenault. The offensive line is well represented in this class with four commitments averaging 310 pounds. Quinn Oseland checks in at 6-foot-6 and 310 pounds, while Tyler Moore is 6-5 and 336 pounds.

You really are a first class jerk! Yea, I like Kill because he doing things to make this program better while you do nothing but try to create negativity and doubt here.

You really are a first class jerk! Yea, I like Kill because he doing things to make this program better while you do nothing but try to create negativity and doubt here.

Yeah, but did he attack you? Did he call you names? You're the people that make the internet bad, not him.

Like you've never called me names?

Never initially, never. You're the same as well; You constantly attack people if they won't drink the kool-aid. I love what Clay's has done with the defense. But we're still pretty poor offensively. The play calling can be unbearable at times and we still don't have a QB or receivers. Kill is way too passive in his in game decisions as well. That doesn't mean I'm not a fan, it means I know we're still a ways to go and after over 50 years call me skeptical. I'm also tired of the same ole' recruiting excuses. Anyone thrilled with this class needs a dose of reality. Most of you were screaming mad when Kill was hired. Lets see what happens next year. The biggest thing for me does Kill learn from his mistakes during the game.

I guess ESPN loves our class. We're 13 in the Big 14.

13. Minnesota Golden Gophers
National rank: 62
The Gophers have a solid class, which is heavy on defensive backs and offensive linemen. Minnesota landed junior college safety Charlie Rogers, who should be able to provide immediate help. Minnesota loses a few defensive backs to graduation, so landing Rogers was important. He is joined in the class by fellow defensive backs Alonzo Craighton, Jacob Huff, Ray Buford II and Antonio Shenault. The offensive line is well represented in this class with four commitments averaging 310 pounds. Quinn Oseland checks in at 6-foot-6 and 310 pounds, while Tyler Moore is 6-5 and 336 pounds.

Moore is down to a solid 310# and expected to be at his playing weight of 320 by summer.

Never initially, never. You're the same as well; You constantly attack people if they won't drink the kool-aid. I love what Clay's has done with the defense. But we're still pretty poor offensively. The play calling can be unbearable at times and we still don't have a QB or receivers. Kill is way too passive in his in game decisions as well. That doesn't mean I'm not a fan, it means I know we're still a ways to go and after over 50 years call me skeptical. I'm also tired of the same ole' recruiting excuses. Anyone thrilled with this class needs a dose of reality. Most of you were screaming mad when Kill was hired. Lets see what happens next year. The biggest thing for me does Kill learn from his mistakes during the game.

Ah yes, we have another GopherHole expert. Kill has stated this is his best class so far but you know better. Personally, I trust Kill's judgement far more than yours. That is because he has proven year after year that he knows what he is doing. The only thing you proven is that you are full of yourself. Now go pat yourself on your back some more. Just don't hurt yourself too much.

Ah yes, we have another GopherHole expert. Kill has stated this is his best class so far but you know better. Personally, I trust Kill's judgement far more than yours. That is because he has proven year after year that he knows what he is doing. The only thing you proven is that you are full of yourself. Now go pat yourself on your back some more. Just don't hurt yourself too much.

Nothing in your post even makes sense.

Moore is down to a solid 310# and expected to be at his playing weight of 320 by summer.

Good, I hope everything Kill is saying about this class comes true. Personally I liked last years class.

Nothing in your post even makes sense.

Really?

Kill has stated this is his best class so far but you know better.

This makes sense to me.

Personally, I trust Kill's judgement far more than yours.

This makes sense to me.

That is because he has proven year after year that he knows what he is doing.

This makes sense to me.

The only thing you proven is that you are full of yourself. Now go pat yourself on your back some more. Just don't hurt yourself too much.

This makes sense to me.

Again, all you guys just make it personal, no rational exchanges of opinions just one. You guys must be a blast at a party, jeesch!

Again, all you guys just make it personal, no rational exchanges of opinions just one. You guys must be a blast at a party, jeesch!

You're the one who called others "delusional" for being excited about this class. But hey, it's everyone else who is resorting to name-calling.

You're the one who called others "delusional" for being excited about this class. But hey, it's everyone else who is resorting to name-calling.

I'm sorry about that. But read the posts. Everyone in the country says this like 60th ranked class and at the bottom of the Big 14. Seems accurate IMO, but I'm sorry if I offended you.

I'm sorry about that. But read the posts. Everyone in the country says this like 60th ranked class and at the bottom of the Big 14. Seems accurate IMO, but I'm sorry if I offended you.

Now I see the problem, you actually believe that ranking systems are accurate and can be trusted. They aren't. They can have some value but all ranking systems are flawed for many reasons. Those reasons have been discussed here many, many times and I am not about to go down that rabbit hole again. You might find it useful to listen/watch these two links. It might help you to understand a little more about recruiting and how Jerry Kill's staff goes about it.

Billy Glasscock

https://audioboom.com/boos/2865170-...&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter#t=19m0s

Social - Enjoy the highlights and review of the new recruit class

http://www.btn2go.com/game/minnesota-signing-day-special-20150204

Good, I hope everything Kill is saying about this class comes true. Personally I liked last years class.

I hope so as well. There is a lot of promise with this group over the next few years and their success on the field will help in recruiting the 4* and 5* kids some people seem to think are the be all end all of college football recruiting that may or may not drastically change the result on the field. Personally, give me lower rated players with the heart, determination, good work ethic and buys into the system and I'll take those kids all day long. I am NOT saying that the 4 & 5 star guys are all overrated but over the last few years on the camp circuit I have seen more than a few get their asses handed to them buy an "unknown"...in all positions. Bottom line is that rankings are opinions of people that call themselves "experts" and I can tell you from personal experience and in speaking to other parents that you can "buy" stars and pay to have articles/stories written about your son. Most of this goes on under the table obviously, but it does happen so I have a little different view on that part of it.

I need to preface this by saying that I really like this class, and love the way Jerry Kill has turned this program around. This is a strictly black/white, generalizd, "recrutiing ranking" opinion.

Exactly. You are totally right. It seems that everyone on here lately is "anti-star/ranking" becuase of examples that can be counted on two hands, and one game (the 2015 Super Bowl) in the NFL without a 5-star recruit in it. Did anyone go look at past all past superbowls since the rankings systems were implemented? Or, the ratio of 4-star recruits to be All-American/All-Conference in realtion to their entire population, compared to 2-star recruits over the past, say, 10 years? Frankly, the statistical data would blow these "anti-rankers" out of the water. Deep down, they know it, and they're in denial because their favorite team has been at a recruiting disadvantage for a number of years.

Is it always 100% accurate? Of course not, but neither are your doctors....does that refute modern medicine? There is human judgement involved. Although they are not always 100% accurate, they're probably 90% accurate, which is pretty darn good. Give me a stock broker or sports betting advisor that is 90% and I'll shut my mouth and take my money to the bank.

If getting these highly touted recruits doesn't matter, then why is there hundereds of millions of dollars spent to recruit these "4 and 5 star" players every year? Do you think it could be because the powers-at-be at the school think that it will increase their odds of success, and in-turn more revenue?

For all you blackjack players out there, would you prefer a 15 to a 20, simply because on the previous shoe you hit a 6 on a 15, and the dealer back doored a 21 on your 20? Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

And, funny, the team used as an example for getting 4 and 5 star recruits (aOSU) in another post above, just basically did a complete rebuild to a national championship in less time than it took Kill to get above .500 in the B1G. You know what the difference between the programs is? Recruits.....nearly all of whom were ranked higher than the players the Gophers recruited.

Saying recruiting rankings don't matter, and are totally inaccurate, because of a few outliers is just ridiculous, and its spreading like wildfire around here. Can Kill win without big time recruits? Sure, he's shown he can win, to an extent. But, this program would obviously be better, faster, and sustain for a longer period of time, if he brought in a bunch of 4 star recruits.

Also, we helped build a great stadium, with spendy practice facilities on the way, and just had our ticket prices jacked up because because "that's what it takes to compete at that level." I'll be the first to say, I completely agree to all of that, and am willing to pay for greatness. Well, you know what else you need to compete (and I mean win B1G championships, not one for two cute little runs at the B1G West once in a while) at "that level?" Recruits.

Why dont you quit bitching and ante your money up? Than we"ll have a top recruiting class. I played my college ball in the SEC I know 1st hand how the recruiting "Game" is played. If you think Northern teams are going to go down to SEC and Pac 12 country and pluck 4-5 star recruits out of them regions regularly without paying a price. Your walking around here with your head in the sand. Ohio st plays the GAME. They have bag men that why they can go down to Georgia and get the top player in the state LB Raekwon McMillan etc. Minnesota,Wisconsin etc choose not to play THE GAME. so therefore they rely on evaluations and development. TCU & Baylor are great examples they dont get the Top players in Texas they get the 3-3 star kids aTm & Texas didnt want. Yet TCU & Baylor will and do kick the crap out of aTm & Texas on the field due to superior player evaluations,superior player development and offensive/ defensive schemes. So if you want to recruit in the top 10 or 20 yr in and yr out dig in your pockets and get the big $ boosters together and go get them 5 star guys because they dont come cheap.

Top Bottom