What grade would you give the entire Kill/Claeys era?

What grade would you give the entire Kill/Claeys era?

• A

Votes: 24 18.0%
  • B

Votes: 88 66.2%
  • C

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • D

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
Given where they started, had to give them an A.

I gave them a B, but after reading your post may need to increase the rating considering how awful the program was when they took over. In retrospect I mainly blame Kill for the awful offense, and I think the future looked pretty good with Claeys in charge.

Unless they get lucky and hire the right guy ( and Fleck may not be the right guy even if he took the job), we may be headed into Brewster like seasons for a long time.

I gave them a B, but after reading your post may need to increase the rating considering how awful the program was when they took over. In retrospect I mainly blame Kill for the awful offense, and I think the future looked pretty good with Claeys in charge.

Unless they get lucky and hire the right guy ( and Fleck may not be the right guy even if he took the job), we may be headed into Brewster like seasons for a long time.
"Brewster seasons for a long time"

Included in these Brewster season is the current 7 bowls in 10 years as well as 2 bowls in 4 years of Brewster

A-

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

So some are back to defending Brewster, wow.

Not defending Brewster at all. Just saying even if we made another Brewster hire we could be down and back up to 3 8 win seasons in 4 years just 9 years later.

Given that I said "Jerry who?" back on December 6, 2010...thought a "B" was appropriate.

Still a long way to go but a notable effort while it lasted.

D.....Should have never hired Kill.

Disagree.

Despite the doom and gloom,
Because of the work Kill and Claeys did I think we are in the best position to land a good coach since the time we replaced Warmath. Hopefully we don't mess it up.

B - feels about right. Team was respectable and competitive but didn't do well in trophy games or really truly become a contender. Kill/Claeys did a good job bringing stability back after Brewster but they really didn't find a way to push it much beyond where things were at under Mason. True question will be whether or not the new coach can figure out a way to finally break through that barrier.

Disagree.

Despite the doom and gloom,
Because of the work Kill and Claeys did I think we are in the best position to land a good coach since the time we replaced Warmath. Hopefully we don't mess it up.

We were until Kaler and Coyle f'd it up

I hear you. Things were going pretty good and now we are only getting 9 wins against our easy schedule.

Omg only 9 wins. Sorry but a big ten win is a big ten win. We aint moving to the sec conf any time soon. The sonner people get over this the better. This goes for attendance too. Just people with unrealistic expectations. 9 wins is good no matter how easy the non conf was and no matter what big ten teams you played. I'd take a holiday bowl win over a good wash state team over a new years day spanking like iowa or penn state any day.

Omg only 9 wins. Sorry but a big ten win is a big ten win. We aint moving to the sec conf any time soon. The sonner people get over this the better. This goes for attendance too. Just people with unrealistic expectations. 9 wins is good no matter how easy the non conf was and no matter what big ten teams you played. I'd take a holiday bowl win over a good wash state team over a new years day spanking like iowa or penn state any day.

So people should just get over a 4th place Big Ten West finish, because it's unrealistic to finish higher. Ok...

Definitely a solid B - would've been a B+ if we had beaten Wisconsin (even once).

The program is on much more solid footing - we have more good players than we did before and the student athletes we have are smarter and graduating at a great clip.

So people should just get over a 4th place Big Ten West finish, because it's unrealistic to finish higher. Ok...

No, get over not beating a ranked wi team or other better teams. It will happen eventuality but gotta give a guy more than a year. Attendance was lousy because people dont like watching purdue, rutgers, Illinois, etc and also like to not give proper credit for those wins. Never said higher than 4th wasnt realistic.

How can you give an A when they didn't beat Wisconsin?

EDIT: Correction, he did get the axe once.

I have it a "D". After all these years, is the start of next year going to be any better then the start of Kill's first year? I doubt it. The program isn't in better shape.

I have it a "D". After all these years, is the start of next year going to be any better then the start of Kill's first year? I doubt it. The program isn't in better shape.

I don't see how you can put that on Claeys. Had he remained, yes, this program would be light years ahead of where it was when Kill took over. It is the administration's handling of the firing that is going to put this back. That's not on Claeys. Had Coyle just fired Claeys the day after the Wisconsin loss fewer players would have transferred, more recruits would have kept their commitment etc. Even that scenario would have been better than what next year will be now and definitely better than what Coach Kill inherited.

Whoever is coaching next year I see no reason why 6-6 or 5-7 isn't a realistic minimum - Kill went 3-9 his first season so that's a higher floor if nothing else.

Whoever is coaching next year I see no reason why 6-6 or 5-7 isn't a realistic minimum - Kill went 3-9 his first season so that's a higher floor if nothing else.

Might want to wait and see which players are still here before making record predictions.

I don't see how you can put that on Claeys. Had he remained, yes, this program would be light years ahead of where it was when Kill took over. It is the administration's handling of the firing that is going to put this back. That's not on Claeys. Had Coyle just fired Claeys the day after the Wisconsin loss fewer players would have transferred, more recruits would have kept their commitment etc. Even that scenario would have been better than what next year will be now and definitely better than what Coach Kill inherited.

Well, from that perspective you are right. I don't blame Claeys for the sh*t show the team will be next year. All in all, they brought us to a bunch of bowl games and gave us some moments of joy.

I think a good portion of the team will be gone. And you'll have some new coach wanting to change everything up. So I wouldn't be surprised to start the year with 5 scholarship offensive lineman and 2 safeties. It could be an 0-12 easy.

I expect 6-6 next year.

Same as I expected from TC

I think a good portion of the team will be gone. And you'll have some new coach wanting to change everything up. So I wouldn't be surprised to start the year with 5 scholarship offensive lineman and 2 safeties. It could be an 0-12 easy.

We diverge here - there will certainly be casualties, but I'm inclined to believe Fleck would be able to sell a decent amount on staying.

Its never as bad as it seems in the aftermath but the new hire would certainly have his work cut out for him.

I'm going back and giving them a A ....as it it now overtly apparent how incompetent the administration that they were working under is.

How many players did they put in the NFL seems like a lot?

If you don't include Brewster recruits it is 6 I think.

If you include Brewster recruits it is more like 9.

Hard for me to give him credit for Brewster recruits because then I would have to give Bree credit for Eric Dexker

Top Bottom