What grade would you give Nelson in his collegiate debut?

What grade would you give Nelson?

• A

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • B

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • C

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • D

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters
If it's asking to judge the entire decision process (with what we know). . .I'd give it a D.

I like you Bob, but what we know could just about fill a tea cup compared to what the coaches know about this team.

A solid B.

He was our most effective rusher and didn't try to make something out of nothing. The second INT was a great play by the defender but a catchable ball. And finishing 10/15 was a good sign. He did not appear to be out of place out there.

Nelson's play was not the reason why we lost the game.

BTW, the late hit he took from the WI LB could have ended his season.

FSN weighs in:

Passing offense: C-plus
True freshman Philip Nelson was thrown into the fire Saturday, as he made his first career start in place of the dinged up MarQueis Gray and Max Shortell. Nelson and the Gophers offense got off to a slow start, going 3-and-out on their first two drives. But Nelson found a rhythm when he hit Brandon Green for a 16-yard score that capped a 65-yard drive. Nelson finished 13-for-24 for 149 yards and two touchdowns, but the freshman was also intercepted twice. He completed passes to six different receivers Saturday, with Green, A.J. Barker and Gray each hauling in three catches.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/10/21...nding_gophers.html?blockID=807669&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

Sandell weighs in:

Quarterbacks

Kill made a bold move Saturday. The Gophers chose to hand over the offense to true freshman QB Philip Nelson for the first time. By taking off Nelson's redshirt midseason, Kill is entrusting Nelson to be the team's top option under center for the remainder of the year. Nelson's debut was a mixed bag, dotted with promising signs. On first glance, his numbers were mediocre at best -- 13-of-24 for 149 yards, offsetting two touchdowns with a pair of interceptions. But given the circumstances surrounding the game, he showed an upside on Saturday that buoyed the Gophers' decision to start him. Even before the first snap, Nelson was at a disadvantage, starting his first game on the road at Camp Randall against a surging Wisconsin squad. Anxiousness seemed consume Nelson in the Gophers' first two offensive series as both sputtered to three-and-out conclusions. On the unit's third drive, Nelson finally had the offense surging forward. With the Gophers already trailing 7-0, he hit TE Drew Goodger on a crisp 18-yard pass up middle for his first career completion. Two plays later, he didn't hesitate to take off into the defense for a 17-yard scramble. The drive ended with a touchdown pass to WR Brandon Green.

Inconsistency crept in again as his next four passes fell incomplete, largely the result of miscommunication with his receivers. He had four passes that could be considered overthrows and another that was tossed behind his receiver, but they were mainly caused by a lapse in timing with his intended target. Nelson's best stretch of the game came on the Gophers' final drive of the first half in which he completed five of six passes. Nelson's composure, which was notably resilient, was exemplified when he eluded a tackle on 3rd and 1 play and got off a short three-yard throw to MarQueis Gray, preserving the drive. "He's a pretty intense kid. He's confident. He believes in what he is doing now ... There were some things in there that you can't coach," Kill said. Though he led a scoring drive in the third quarter, Nelson and the offense were markedly ineffective for much of the second half. The Gophers have scored only 13 points in each of their three Big Ten games. Nelson will be expected to help reverse that trend in the weeks ahead. Hampered by an ever-present ankle sprain, Gray is not an option quarterback right now. He has been moved out to WR, where Kill hopes his risk of further injury will be lowered. After three starts this season, sophomore Max Shortell has found himself back in a secondary role. Kill said he considered putting Shortell in for a series after Nelson had run the ball several times in a row in the second quarter, but didn't feel Nelson was overly winded. But Kill is not likely to hesitate to insert Shortell sporadically if needed. Though not on the same level as Gray's, Nelson owns deceptive speed and a level of mobility that Shortell does not have. Nelson ran the ball 16 times against Wisconsin for 67 yards, making him the Gophers' leading rusher.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Breaking_down_the_tape_from_the_Gophers_loss_at_Wisconsin_102212

Go Gophers!!

Not picking on you, Bob, as many others have made this very same comment but I just don't understand why this is such a widely held belief. Gray is a Senior more than halfway through his final season. Just about every offensive coach that he has played under, it seems, has come to the sobering realization that he's not a very good QB.

Today he played a good chunk of the game at WR. Makes it hard for me to believe he's not healthy enough to play QB. This staff wants to win games, needs to win games. If Shortell doesn't ding his head against NU, it's very possible Gray never takes any snaps at QB in that game either. So maybe it's not all that "obvious" that Gray gives them the best chance to win, unless the staff are a group of masochists who had every intention of losing the last couple games.

Let's face it, if you're healthy enough to take the field, and you've been replaced in a rivalry game by a kid who has never taken a college snap, it's hard for me to believe the staff has much confidence in you. He was clearly healthy enough to play last week against NU, and yet Shortell started that game. These aren't exactly ringing endorsements from the people who see you day in, day out.

Not looking to get into an argument, it's just that the actions/decisions of the staff would lead a reasonable person to believe there's just not a lot of faith there.

Did you actually see Gray running out there? It was very obvious he was not even close to 100%. That's why he didn't play QB where he would have to be in every play, get hit a lot more, and put a lot more stress on his ankle. I don't see why that is so hard to understand.

Our running game has been significantly better with Gray in at QB, and, if 100%, he gives us the best chance to win. His passing numbers are better than the other QBs this year. And his running numbers are significantly better. When he's in, the other guys run the ball better too.

Give me an example of how the coaches gave up on him this year? The only time he has been taken out or hasn't played is when he's been hurt. If he stays healthy all year, he's our QB throughout the entire season.

I know you don't think he's a very good QB, and that's fine. But I don't know how it isn't obvious that when he is 100%, he's our best option.

B for effort C for execution

If were being honest and getting past the blind optimisim you would have to grade him a C. The offense he led had far to many three and out series. The two turnovers were poor reads and throws, and the throws there should not have been made. He had secondary reads on both that were far more open than the ball he forced that were picked off.
There were at least 3 instances I can remember where if he gives the ball to the motion man or hands the ball off to the back it is a much better play than when he kept the ball himself. This is the thing about young quarterbacks in general,
they all think they can do it themselves and do it better than the other guy or guy's that have tried.
The sooner he Nelson learns to use his other weapons and playmakers the better off the team and he will be. The job of the quarterback is to drive the car and use all of your weapons to the best of there ability. It has to be what is best for the team.

If you get rid of the I can make this play, or I'm going to win this game for my team "me" first thought process
you will see the offense really click. There are times it is best to take off and run but others, need to make plays too, and he needs to protect his body to have enough health to keep playing.
They, the Gopher offense were at there best when they played up tempo and were making fast plays.
This type of tempo forces the young quarterback to think less, and just react and make quicker and more decisive decisions.
That pass for a touchdown on the first touchdown drive of Nelsons career was a thing of beauty and fortells what his potential can be. He made the best choice to go to his secondary read because it was more open with less coverage or challenge by the defense and the 1st option or play called. Nelson does give me a lot of hope for the future that when he uses his playmakers at WR and him and the Nugget Williams freshman running back aare clicking, and the offensive line put it together they are going to be tough.

Did you actually see Gray running out there? It was very obvious he was not even close to 100%. That's why he didn't play QB where he would have to be in every play, get hit a lot more, and put a lot more stress on his ankle. I don't see why that is so hard to understand.

Our running game has been significantly better with Gray in at QB, and, if 100%, he gives us the best chance to win. His passing numbers are better than the other QBs this year. And his running numbers are significantly better. When he's in, the other guys run the ball better too.

Give me an example of how the coaches gave up on him this year? The only time he has been taken out or hasn't played is when he's been hurt. If he stays healthy all year, he's our QB throughout the entire season.

I know you don't think he's a very good QB, and that's fine. But I don't know how it isn't obvious that when he is 100%, he's our best option.

No doubt, he wasn't 100% on Saturday. Seemed odd that they even had him out there at WR, as he was pretty easy to cover, as even the ESPN play-by-play mentioned on several occasions. I know they were pretty thin at WR though. Had to be done.

The subject of Gray at QB has been beaten to death and it's a moot point now as Nelson will be the guy. It's hard to make an accurate comparison of effectiveness of the offense though when most of his time was spent against UNLV and New Hampshire. In Big Ten play, he played about two quarters against the Northwestern defense, at Home, while the other QB's played on the road, against Iowa and Wisconsin. Not exactly apples to apples comparison.

It looks like Nelson is the guy and I'm fine with that. I thought he looked the part on Saturday, looked more poised than I would have expected, and ran a lot more effectively than I would have thought, with the exception of trying to run laterally against BT linebackers. He'll figure that out soon enough.

What grade would you give Nelson?

Considering the circumstances surrounding his 1st start, I would have to give Nelson's performance an A plus. Nelson playing this season will be a huge benefit to the program starting next season.

No doubt, he wasn't 100% on Saturday. Seemed odd that they even had him out there at WR, as he was pretty easy to cover, as even the ESPN play-by-play mentioned on several occasions. I know they were pretty thin at WR though. Had to be done.

The subject of Gray at QB has been beaten to death and it's a moot point now as Nelson will be the guy. It's hard to make an accurate comparison of effectiveness of the offense though when most of his time was spent against UNLV and New Hampshire. In Big Ten play, he played about two quarters against the Northwestern defense, at Home, while the other QB's played on the road, against Iowa and Wisconsin. Not exactly apples to apples comparison.

It looks like Nelson is the guy and I'm fine with that. I thought he looked the part on Saturday, looked more poised than I would have expected, and ran a lot more effectively than I would have thought, with the exception of trying to run laterally against BT linebackers. He'll figure that out soon enough.

You're exactly right. There's no way to know how a healthy Gray would have performed against the tougher opponents. I don't know why, but I just get irritated by some that are making it seem like Gray was a total flop this year. That Kill was saying before the season how much he improved, etc. Well we never got to see it because he hasn't been healthy. It's not really Gray's fault or Kill's fault. It just is what it is.

I'm sure the coaching staff was not expecting for things to happen as they have happened, but they did what they thought they needed to do. Gray playing WR now doesn't mean anything other than that is where they feel he is best suited when not 100% healthy.

I put B, like a B+ grade. He did really well I thought. You can't grade it like a "normal" start. The kid was thrust into a tough spot, and I thought came out looking like someone we'll be able to hang our hat on down the line. That's probably the most that could have been expected, considering the injuries on the line, as well as to multiple receivers.

He didn't have a lot going for him but he made it work into a competitive showing that had us right in the game until Montee Ball busted that run on 3rd and 11 that broke our backs. We had a chance to get the ball back there down 24-13, plenty of time left, and momentum from the last drive. It would have been interesting to see how he responded there, I was disappointed he didn't get the chance.

Top Bottom