What Gophers Could Be Drafted In 2023?

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Saw a way-too-early mock draft for 2023 and it got me thinking...which of our Gophers have the best chance to hear their names called by the NFL next April?

JMS - could be one of the best centers in college football this coming season; should have a good shot in the pros.

Tyler Nubin - if he continues his progression from last year, he has a TON of upside

CAB - would need a really good year statistically to put himself back on the map, but we know his ball skills are extremely good. I think he finds his way into the league even if not drafted.

I think Mo will potentially make a practice squad or a 53, but unless he has a record-setting year, I'm guessing the Achilles' concerns make him an UFDA.

What are your thoughts? Anybody I missed?

If Mo comes back and has a good year I don't think the Achillies thing will scare people away. but he will have to prove he is healed up and back to the guy he was pre-injury.

In terms of the guys that are for sure done after 2022
JMS, CRAB, Mo and Morgan (if he rediscovers 2019 form) all have a shot. Tough to say without seeing them in action if any of the three Grad Transfers will get a look. Filiaga has the size to play in the NFL.

Tough to know who will be coming out still with eligibility being so strange but guys like Nubin, MSM, Oliver (if he can have a big year), Howden, Rush, BSF could all potentially get a look as well.

Not a ton of slam dunk guys that look like high draft picks but definitely a bunch of guys with potential to play at the next level.

Last couple years you kinda knew for sure.

This year is a lot more guys with talent but it seems are in that "gotta prove it" space.

Could care less at this time of the year. All the draft pundits will soon be hit the air ways with their choices. I want to see everyone play before predicting. This thread is 5 months to soon.

Could care less at this time of the year. All the draft pundits will soon be hit the air ways with their choices. I want to see everyone play before predicting. This thread is 5 months to soon.
Sure, but it is the off season so not much else going on or to talk about until fall camp starts up. So no real harm in trying to guess who might get a look at the next level.

If a guy like Isaiah Pacheco from Rutgers gets drafted, Mo should too.

Pacheco ran a 4.37 40 which tied for the fastest at the RB position. Mo was probably a 4.6 guy at best before the injury. He just doesn't have the breakaway speed NFL teams covet.

Saw a way-too-early mock draft for 2023 and it got me thinking...which of our Gophers have the best chance to hear their names called by the NFL next April?

JMS - could be one of the best centers in college football this coming season; should have a good shot in the pros.

Tyler Nubin - if he continues his progression from last year, he has a TON of upside

CAB - would need a really good year statistically to put himself back on the map, but we know his ball skills are extremely good. I think he finds his way into the league even if not drafted.

I think Mo will potentially make a practice squad or a 53, but unless he has a record-setting year, I'm guessing the Achilles' concerns make him an UFDA.

What are your thoughts? Anybody I missed?

If Dylan Wright can put it all together and have a big year I could see him leaving early with his size and athleticism.

Beanie Bishop also has some mid to late round potential if he has a great year.

If Mo comes back and has a good year I don't think the Achillies thing will scare people away. but he will have to prove he is healed up and back to the guy he was pre-injury.

In terms of the guys that are for sure done after 2022
JMS, CRAB, Mo and Morgan (if he rediscovers 2019 form) all have a shot. Tough to say without seeing them in action if any of the three Grad Transfers will get a look. Filiaga has the size to play in the NFL.

Tough to know who will be coming out still with eligibility being so strange but guys like Nubin, MSM, Oliver (if he can have a big year), Howden, Rush, BSF could all potentially get a look as well.

Not a ton of slam dunk guys that look like high draft picks but definitely a bunch of guys with potential to play at the next level.

BSF has the measureables and athleticism to get drafted if he has a big year.

Howden and Oliver also have a lot of athletic upside.

I think Rush and MSM will move on to successful business careers after this year.

After Andries not getting drafted, I hesitate to predict Schmitz will. It's going to depend on how he tests. He's clearly a very good college OL, but I frankly don't know what the pros are looking for at that position group anymore.

I think Spann-Ford is a likely pick because of his size/speed and the fact that he really showed up in 2021 in an offense that doesn't do a whole lot with the TE. This isn't Badger hate (and they've had a lot of good TEs through the years), but if Ferguson got drafted in the fourth, I have to think Spann-Ford falls into a similar value category. As with every prospect, the combine and pro days will help define where a guy goes--if at all--in the draft.

Not sure at what year or age u can declare, but if Justin Walley has another year or gets better, i think he declares early and is drafted

Imagine having a Gopher declare early and get drafted in back to back seasons??

Would be so awesome!

After Andries not getting drafted, I hesitate to predict Schmitz will. It's going to depend on how he tests. He's clearly a very good college OL, but I frankly don't know what the pros are looking for at that position group anymore.

I think Spann-Ford is a likely pick because of his size/speed and the fact that he really showed up in 2021 in an offense that doesn't do a whole lot with the TE. This isn't Badger hate (and they've had a lot of good TEs through the years), but if Ferguson got drafted in the fourth, I have to think Spann-Ford falls into a similar value category. As with every prospect, the combine and pro days will help define where a guy goes--if at all--in the draft.
BSF has the size, not sure he has the speed however! I don't think he's nearly as fast as Ferguson!

BSF has the size, not sure he has the speed however! I don't think he's nearly as fast as Ferguson!
Could be. Ferguson's 40 at the combine was not that good and he improved on it at his pro day, but he never struck me as being particularly quick. Both Wisconsin and Iowa use their TE a lot and have had very good success in making that a large part of their passing game. Spann-Ford probably suffers a bit for that. The bottom line is a lot will depend on the combine/pro day for Spann-Ford.

If the Gophers win the Big Ten West title outright, we will be talking about multiple Gophers getting drafted.

This feels like 2019, where we had 1 or 2 people we knew would get drafted but a lot that could (had no idea how high). 2 or 3 players need to have breakout years for us to win West, 1 will need to be a top 2 rd player. Hope its CAB, BSF or dylan. Would mean pass game excelled.

Could be. Ferguson's 40 at the combine was not that good and he improved on it at his pro day, but he never struck me as being particularly quick. Both Wisconsin and Iowa use their TE a lot and have had very good success in making that a large part of their passing game. Spann-Ford probably suffers a bit for that. The bottom line is a lot will depend on the combine/pro day for Spann-Ford.
I wonder how much Wisconsin and Iowa use the TE because… they struggle to pass otherwise…

This feels like 2019, where we had 1 or 2 people we knew would get drafted but a lot that could (had no idea how high). 2 or 3 players need to have breakout years for us to win West, 1 will need to be a top 2 rd player. Hope its CAB, BSF or dylan. Would mean pass game excelled.
Not sure that’s true. Especially if you’re just talking about the seniors.

If I had to guess I'd say Brevyn runs in the 4.8-4.9 range. He can possibly get that below 4.8 before next year's combine but he'll need to put quite a bit of work in to get there.

Centers from my understanding are Some what different than other OL -as you draft a center to play center basically and not other possible spots.
assuming you want the experience hiking the 🏈 and calling the protections vs, teaching all that to someone. Then there is the need; there are only half as many centers vs, guards & tackles.

Hopefully he has a great last year and fits the bill for one team

Last edited:

It's surprising to me that Blaise didn't get draft, especially considering he ranked so highly among guards in his "Relative Athletic Score".

1651856159673.png

Good grief, wrong side of the bed yesterday morning?

giphy.gif

Top Bottom