What Effect did NIL have?

this article literally doesn't address anything. the prospects going to "top programs" was never the discussion. It was the ability for mid tier teams with big money boosters to essentially purchase players (see the multitude of SEC teams pouring money in, such as Texas A&M or Ole Miss to grab recruits) as well as poach lower level rosters due to NIL (see Bucky Irving). You can't overconcentrate them on the top 5 teams because they can't take that many players nor have enough playing time to make that work. Using that as your argument to say NIL hasn't changed anything doesn't even make logical sense

I think NIL means eventually all college football teams not named Notre Dame who are outside of the super conferences are farm clubs.

I think NIL means eventually all college football teams not named Notre Dame who are outside of the super conferences are farm clubs.
I think it's about the P5 gaining more advantage. P5 poaches good G5/FCS coaches and now players. I'm ok with it. The best players should all have a chance to move up and be playing in the P5 level. The TV money shows the interest in P5 football. As others have said, the top 5 only have so many spots to offer kids. School, coach, playing time, relationships, culture still all play a factor in where kids sign.

Outside of Bucky Irving, can't really say that anyone was poached from MN because going from a P5 to a P5 is still going to mostly be about playing time, fit and location.

He's right we've arrived at a point where the program that can offer the biggest payday will land the most coveted recruits. The question that needs to be asked is whether or not it can or will be regulated and if so what does that entail.

He's right we've arrived at a point where the program that can offer the biggest payday will land the most coveted recruits. The question that needs to be asked is whether or not it can or will be regulated and if so what does that entail.
Problem is he bragged about building his 2022 class on NIL and then went out and finished dead last at 2-6 and 5-7 in SEC.

I propose 2 football playoffs...1 for the best teams money can buy and the 2nd would be for everybody else.

The Gophs need to find their mega money "guy" (wealthy booster) and backfill with a large collection of other boosters including everyone on this forum, from small $ to larger $$$, and stop whining about other programs. NIL actually provides an opportunity for enterprising teams to break through the blue blood glass ceiling. Just do it (stealing the phrase from a mega booster).

It seems to me that the posters who use NIL $$$ as the excuse that their HC did not recruit as well as some other programs are the same people who claim "the refs" are the reason their team did not win the game or the championship.

The article is saying that the top 10 national programs continued to sign the top ranked 250 recruits?

Well .... yeah? Coincidentally, those were already the richest programs with the most giving boosters. So no surprise, they also had the most NIL to give.

Who was saying that some rouge program was going to buy its way into the top, where they otherwise couldn't have done that?

The closest I can see to that is UMiami. So far hasn't worked out, but we will see.

as I see it, depending on the program, one or two players can make a big impact.

If you're Alabama, Ohio State or Clemson, and you miss on a recruit, you're going to replace that recruit with another one in the same caliber.

but if you're a program trying to move up the ladder, and you lose one or two key players due to NIL, that can make a big difference.

the programs on top are going to stay on top. it's the programs in that range from 30-50 that will be impacted because they lose players or can't get players who want the big NIL deal.

I just don't think there ever can be any serious "moving up the ladder", in college football. It's a cabal on the top talent.

If you're a top ranked recruit ... you're going to a top program. That's the least risky move. And you'll now also probably get the most NIL, as a side bonus.

How often does a top recruit choose a lower program over multiple, early legit top program offers, then go on to have a great college career there, and then go on to have a great NFL career?

I'm sure it happens more than never. But I don't think it happens often.

Be careful not to conflate a thing that is not what I just said. Obviously, lower programs produce great guys all the time, who then go on to the NFL. That's not what I said. I said a top recruit who chooses a lower program.

Usually, the great guys produced by lower programs were not top recruits. They chose the lower program because it was one of the best offers they had.

Until/unless there is whatever (legal) mechanisms in place where a P5 group can enforce a "P5 draft", then no top recruit is going to choose programs like Oregon State, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc. over early, legit offers from Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, etc.

There is just no reason for them to choose that.

You can try to argue "more playing time, earlier", and that is a fair argument. But then, why don't we see that more often? We don't see it much.

I'm talking the initial choice out of high school.

Sure, now, the portal makes it so that a 5* who goes to Alabama, isn't the starter by year 2, thinks he has been slighted and transfers out somewhere else to try to be the starter. Fine, agree that happens a lot now and will continue to happen.

That's not the thing I'm talking about, either.

I just don't think there ever can be any serious "moving up the ladder", in college football. It's a cabal on the top talent.

If you're a top ranked recruit ... you're going to a top program. That's the least risky move. And you'll now also probably get the most NIL, as a side bonus.

How often does a top recruit choose a lower program over multiple, early legit top program offers, then go on to have a great college career there, and then go on to have a great NFL career?

Be careful not to conflate a thing that is not what I just said. Obviously, lower programs produce great guys all the time, who then go on to the NFL. That's not what I said. I said a top recruit who chooses a lower program.

Usually, the great guys produced by lower programs were not top recruits. They chose the lower program because it was one of the best offers they had.

Until/unless there is whatever (legal) mechanisms in place where a P5 group can enforce a "P5 draft", then no top recruit is going to choose programs like Oregon State, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc. over early, legit offers from Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, etc.

You can try to argue "more playing time, earlier", and that is a fair argument. But then, why don't we see that more often? We don't see it much.

There aren't many, but it does happen. Epenesa and Iowa a few years ago comes to mind. It also depends on what you consider a "top" program. Miami, A&M and USC etc. get multiple 5-star athletes but those programs are not at the top for whatever reason.

The Gophs need to find their mega money "guy" (wealthy booster) and backfill with a large collection of other boosters including everyone on this forum, from small $ to larger $$$, and stop whining about other programs. NIL actually provides an opportunity for enterprising teams to break through the blue blood glass ceiling. Just do it (stealing the phrase from a mega booster).
Being a fan is no longer for the poor.

this article literally doesn't address anything. the prospects going to "top programs" was never the discussion. It was the ability for mid tier teams with big money boosters to essentially purchase players (see the multitude of SEC teams pouring money in, such as Texas A&M or Ole Miss to grab recruits) as well as poach lower level rosters due to NIL (see Bucky Irving). You can't overconcentrate them on the top 5 teams because they can't take that many players nor have enough playing time to make that work. Using that as your argument to say NIL hasn't changed anything doesn't even make logical sense
But realistically, those programs with big money boosters have always been able to purchase the best players. It's just more out in the open now.

There aren't many, but it does happen. Epenesa and Iowa a few years ago comes to mind. It also depends on what you consider a "top" program. Miami, A&M and USC etc. get multiple 5-star athletes but those programs are not at the top for whatever reason.
AJE is an interesting example. Perhaps where loyalty (did he grow up a Hawks fan, in suburban STL on the ILL side?) played a role and/or early playing time played a role. Those would seem to me the major factors that could actually get a top recruit to choose a lower program.

I'm not sure if USC is still considered a helmet school, but they certainly were, and have to be close now. Miami has lost so much luster, like Nebraska, I don't think they can be. But they are the one program where boosters are trying to buy their way back (Life Wallet guy).

I think NIL now stands for "Now It's Legal!!!!!!"

Top Bottom