What do you want to happen for the long term success of the program?

• Miss NCAA tournament

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • 1st round exit

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 2nd round exit

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Sweet 16 or better

Votes: 33 71.7%

• Total voters

GopherJake

Reaction score

I want us to win the national championship and get every top player in the 2014 class committed shortly thereafter.

Hope for a tourney run and let Tubby stay one more year. Hire Flip as an assistant and if they don't land any of the "Big 3" let him retire after next year if they don't make the tourney.

Win as many NCAA games as possible

A Sweet 16 or better followed by a graceful Tubby retirement.

Southern Cal. -please call again for our coaching legend...

None of the above. IMO...Tubby just doesn't have that 'fire in the belly' anymore. Horrible guard play and since Saul is responsible for developing the guards, Norwood tells Tubby to find another assistant coach(s). Tubby balks and resigns, thus relieving the U from the $$$$ buy out. If that can be done.

A Sweet 16 or better followed by a graceful Tubby retirement.

This. If our athletic director is dumb enough to be fooled by a two or three game run after this, then we may have the wrong AD. I don't think he is being fooled. My guess is that there is no changing his mind at this point and that Tubby may be ready to retire anyway. His heart is just not in this.

Preferably a deep run into the tourney, followed by Tubby getting hired by Wisconsin.

Preferably a deep run into the tourney, followed by Tubby getting hired by Wisconsin.

There's no need to hate on Tubby that much. Plus, he tends to do his best work with other coach's players.

It really doesn't matter want we as fans of the basketball program want, because the University of Minnesota as whole is a complete mess. With the loss today the U gave the women's gymnastic coach a $100,000 raise????

I can't root for the team to lose.

But, my gut tells me that Tubby is very stubborn, and if the Gophs do go on a tourney run, Tubby will take that as vindication of his coaching methods, and will be that much harder to get rid of.

I think a Sweet 16 appearance virtually guarantees that Tubby will coach out his contract at the U (barring some legal maneuver, scandal or health crisis that forces him to leave before his contract is up.)

None of the above. IMO...Tubby just doesn't have that 'fire in the belly' anymore. Horrible guard play and since Saul is responsible for developing the guards, Norwood tells Tubby to find another assistant coach(s). Tubby balks and resigns, thus relieving the U from the $$$$ buy out. If that can be done.

Poster on the other site (who generally has accurate info) is saying that the decision has been made not to renew the contract of someone on the staff, FWIW.

I can't root for the team to lose.

But, my gut tells me that Tubby is very stubborn, and if the Gophs do go on a tourney run, Tubby will take that as vindication of his coaching methods, and will be that much harder to get rid of.

I think a Sweet 16 appearance virtually guarantees that Tubby will coach out his contract at the U (barring some legal maneuver, scandal or health crisis that forces him to leave before his contract is up.)

Sweet 16 appearance? Smoking pretty early in the day aren't we?

Whatever yields the most wins this year, but still gets us a new coach for next year.

If they made the final four, keep him another year or two as painful as it would be to watch, but anything short of that, I think change is needed to get this program heading upward.

I cannot believe that 7 people want us to miss the tournament just to get rid of the coach. That doesn't guarantee he's gone, if that's what you want. That's just rooting against your own team.

I cannot believe that 7 people want us to miss the tournament just to get rid of the coach. That doesn't guarantee he's gone, if that's what you want. That's just rooting against your own team.

Agreed!

The fact people would cheer against their "favorite" team shows what kind of bandwagon pos they are. Cheering for our team to lose first help the program and recruits see and hear this stuff. Send hate mail to Teague and other u of m officials but publicly cheering against our team hurts. Minnesota gopher athletics only tradition is cheering against the program(s) coaches publicly until they are removed, it's disgusting

You asked for long term & I voted for the politically incorrect "Missing the Tourney". Anything that could possibly delay Tubby's departure is a long term problem.

Personally, I think even a sweet-16 run will not save Tubby, but I don't want to take that chance. I believe others on this board are thinking the same thing, but don't want to admit it.

You asked for long term & I voted for the politically incorrect "Missing the Tourney". Anything that could possibly delay Tubby's departure is a long term problem.

Personally, I think even a sweet-16 run will not save Tubby, but I don't want to take that chance. I believe others on this board are thinking the same thing, but don't want to admit it.

Exactly my thoughts. A miracle run could hurt the program's future. I do not want Tubby to have any leverage for staying. A quick exit to a disturbing and pathetic season will get Norwood's engines running on a search committee as soon as possible.

I'm not to the point where I want us to have an early exit. I trust Norwood to look at the big picture and not just 1 week in the last 3 years.

Top Bottom