What do you think the Lineups should be (staters, 2nd group)

Just rewatched the Indiana win...without Mav we lose that game badly...and earlier this year when both Welch and Dre were hurt...Mav carried the load to a one lose pre-season. He will never be a all big ten type...but he is a serviceable PG and at times plays extremely well.

Remember that Mav, not Welch or Dre, was leading the charge at PG when we turned a 7 pt deficit into a 4 point lead midway through first period. Stop hating...remember last season how badly we all missed Cobbs...when the year before this board wouldn't lay off the kid.
I completely agree with you, I've been one of the few people defending Mav on this board. But the thing is, if we want Dre to be a PG he needs to get more of Mav's minutes to get some experience. I think we can agree Dre has more upside than Mav.

So many experts, so little expertise.

It's Tubby's job to put the right guys together at the right time through the course of a game.

It's worked 4 of the last 5 games.
I was just trying to create discussion :(

Julian Welch has been one of our better players this year. No way he doesn't start. He's had two tough games in a row, that's all.
While I agree Welch has played well this season, my purpose in moving him out of the rotation was more to get Dre more playing time than because of the way Welch has been playing.

When did this given-name rage start?
I do it because it's faster. Everyone on here knows who they are so it's just easier.

For me, it started back around the late 70's when I was a kid and would yell "C'mon, Kevin!" Other kids would yell things like, "C'mon, Mr. McHale!!" Dummies!

The second group, Ahamissi, Andre Hollings, Armelin, Osenieks, and Eliason played the best sequence of offensive basketball that I have seen for a while, why not just give that group equal playing time with the starters.

While I agree Welch has played well this season, my purpose in moving him out of the rotation was more to get Dre more playing time than because of the way Welch has been playing.

The best way to do that in my mind is cut Maverick's minutes down.

Mav does not deserve a lot of the hate he receives on here.

Welch is a much more solid pg than Dre at this stage. Dre had some nice drives when we went to the spread as he has excellent quickness. He had a turnover and many near turnovers at the end. Just because someone has some one on one ability it doesnt mean they are now qualified to run the point.

Rosemountian;4944 [B said:
Nobody wants to see a big ten team play a ten man rotation[/B]. He happens to be guy number 10.

I have no problem with a 10-man rotation, if the team has 10 players who can help the club win. There's no magic number of players that is "right" or "wrong." Some teams win with a short rotation; some teams win playing a lot of guys. I was at a HS game recently, and one team played their starting 5 the entire game - 1 sub came in for the last minute of the game, only because a starter fouled out. Yes, that's an extreme example, but that team is playing good ball right now, so it's working for them.

I think that knowing when to substitute, and who (or whom) to substitute is one of the aspects of coaching that doesn't get talked about enough. I realize that Tubby's habit of running in groups of players bothers some people. I tend to subscribe to the theory that "it's not who starts, it's who finishes the game." Watch who's on the court when the game is on the line - that tells you who the coach trusts in crunch time. For the Gophs, I personally want to see A. Hollins, J. Coleman, J. Welch, R. Williams and E. Eliason on the floor when it matters. (of course, if it was up to me, RS3 would be watching the game from the stands next to daddy.)

I have no problem with a 10-man rotation, if the team has 10 players who can help the club win. There's no magic number of players that is "right" or "wrong." Some teams win with a short rotation; some teams win playing a lot of guys. I was at a HS game recently, and one team played their starting 5 the entire game - 1 sub came in for the last minute of the game, only because a starter fouled out. Yes, that's an extreme example, but that team is playing good ball right now, so it's working for them.

I think that knowing when to substitute, and who (or whom) to substitute is one of the aspects of coaching that doesn't get talked about enough. I realize that Tubby's habit of running in groups of players bothers some people. I tend to subscribe to the theory that "it's not who starts, it's who finishes the game." Watch who's on the court when the game is on the line - that tells you who the coach trusts in crunch time. For the Gophs, I personally want to see A. Hollins, J. Coleman, J. Welch, R. Williams and E. Eliason on the floor when it matters. (of course, if it was up to me, RS3 would be watching the game from the stands next to daddy.)

Tubby is not always sending all 5 guys to check in at the same time also. He sends one or two and if the whistle blows right away in they go, but if play goes on for a couple of minutes he has another one or two up ready to go and then all 4 or 5 come in at once.

Righr or wrong, Tubby uses the first 8-12 minutes of the game to evaluate who's playing well. He then seems to mix and match toward the end of the half and even more so in the second half. I also have issues with Mav but he and everyone on the team at some point in time have had a positive impact on games. The key is who can do it consistantly, those receive more of the minutes. As the season goes on I think you'll see some of the less experienced receive more minutes if merited. What really worries me and I don't understand why more teams don't pressure our point guards, especially scarey would be Mav. The Ohio State point would eat him up and it also makes us start our offense way too far out. As we go against better teams it still could be an issue.

Playing 10 guys is what got us the win Saturday in my opinion. If we aren't playing a bunch of guys, then guys like Oto and Chip may not have played or played much. They were a big reason why we won.

We don't have a superstar like Mbakwe was right now. Everyone is going to get a shot and we'll ride the hot hand.

When Tubby does the hockey subs and the starters are struggling and the second 5 plays well, people don't mind it. But more often than not, playing the second 5 together has been more detrimental than good. From memory I only remember full court trapping teams playing 2 sets of 5: the Razorbacks, runnin rebels, and UAB. The second 5 was there to trap and cause turnovers, floor burns galore. Just to cause havok. The "second 5" worked this time but overall I would rather Tubby played his guys with the starters rotating in and out. I think we would have discovered Coleman's driving prowess earlier had he been playing with the first team at times.

Top Bottom