What do you predict Coyle will do with Tracy Claeys for next season? Keep or fire him

What do you predict Coyle will do with Tracy Claeys for next season? Keep or fire him

• I think Coyle will KEEP Claeys for next season

Votes: 49 59.8%
  • I think Coyle will FIRE Claeys before next season

Votes: 33 40.2%

• Total voters
He wil fire Claeys but claim he can't give the reasons due to privacy issues.

I think you're naive if you don't think they have already decided.

I think he stays, but if they're going to let him go, they probably decided a week ago

I have no idea what Kaler/Coyle will do, but I sure hope a decision is already made either way and the outcome of tonight's game shouldn't be part of the equation at all, either way.

Go Gophers!!

It was an odd season, despite the decent record it still felt like they underachieved. It is strange that with an 8-4 record we actually have a coach on the bubble. Based solely on record, no way he gets fired. Who would come here after we canned a coach that went 8-4? That being said, if Coyle can make it about the support of the team during the boycott, then you can make a case it was related to other issues. Same situation as the wrestling coach. It wasn't his wins and losses, it was other stuff.

Pretty good chance Coyle doesn't get to make this decision first. It will be up to Kaler and the BOR to decide if Claeys actions are grounds for dismissal after the bowl game. The AD can make that decision based on on the field performance and may or may not agree with Kaler on what should be done about the off the field stuff, but I don't think it will Coyle's decision at the outset. If Kaler doesn't force a firing, Coyle could still choose to fire later.

Is there where you put your unfiltered "Hot Takes"? Well I've been mum on this topic so might as well let er' rip.

I vacillate between letting Claeys and his staff go or going in to whole new direction on a daily basis. The people making this decision should be doing it based on the long view. I hope Coyle and Kaler are playing chess and not checkers in this game. The short view to me is still a year from now. Sure the buyout of Claeys and staff goes down to a paltry $250,000 this time next year, or about $2.75 million less altogether. What about the unknown losses in the whole fiasco? How much money does the University of Minnesota lose if their freshman application rates plummet? Does the U need to lower their academic standards as they are not getting the creme de la creme of applicants who one day could be generous donors or accomplished alumni? Look at the University of Missouri who estimated that their freshman enrollment, not applications, was down by 1,500 students for Fall 2016 creating a budget gap for University system as a whole an estimated $32 million - all probably due to racial protests on campus involving racial activist groups such as Black Lives Matter and Concerned Student 1950.

I think in the end Coyle will be a pawn of Kalers who probably sees what can happen to other University presidents who don't take swift and decisive action. What must been done eventually must be done now. Therefore I think Claeys et al will be let go within a few days of the bowl game. From a football only standpoint it does not make sound financial sense nor does it make an harmonious environment to work in for the short term for attracting the best candidates. Face it, next year very well could be disaster with a subpar recruiting class this year, a roster riddled with JUCO transfers and undergraduate players leaving and a more difficult schedule. If Claeys is not let go now we are right back here having the same discussion come the day after Wisconsin beats us for the 14th consecutive time.

I don't like to see the continuity of the current staff broken up nor what it does to their families. But something happened that to a large degree was out the staff's control but unfortunately under their watch and the University must make a change in order to show future players, their families, prospective students and their families that the culture at the University of Minnesota is changing for the better.

FWIW if have a feeling we may go North for the next regime OR get the Emperor King.

I have no idea what Kaler/Coyle will do, but I sure hope a decision is already made either way and the outcome of tonight's game shouldn't be part of the equation at all, either way.

Go Gophers!!
agreed

Coyle is gonna set a difficult standard if he fires Claey's because of his support of the players over the last incident but doesn't say it.

If he makes an excuse relating to performance ... if one year and 8 wins isn't good enough it's gonna be a PR mess when the next guy gets fewer and Coyle doesn't do anything ....

On the other hand if he blames Claeys for his tepid support of the players during the last mess, what kind of standard is that?

In the meantime Coyle isn't saying squat, I've been a big "he just got here" Coyle supporter for a while now but dude is now just starting to seem like an empty suit who can't be bothered to take a stand.

Who is ultimately responsible for the failure to prevent what went down that September weekend when the underage recruit was visiting? Name names and their culpability.

Yeah he's an empty suit alright. I believe it was J. Robinson that said it best. Coyle is not a leader, he's a manager.

For me this issue is a comparison between the wrestling team scandal and the football team. Robinson got canned for various offenses but still had a successful program. And 8-4 or 9-4 season cannot save Claeys if they deem his support of the team for the boycott is viewed in a similar light. Similar things have already happened.

Yeah he's an empty suit alright. I believe it was J. Robinson that said it best. Coyle is not a leader, he's a manager.

For me this issue is a comparison between the wrestling team scandal and the football team. Robinson got canned for various offenses but still had a successful program. And 8-4 or 9-4 season cannot save Claeys if they deem his support of the team for the boycott is viewed in a similar light. Similar things have already happened.

J. Robinson covered for his players selling and abusing prescription drugs. Although Claeys backed the boycott, I fail to see how he covered up for anyone. He suspended the players while they were being investigated by the police, and let them play again when they were cleared. I don't see how these two situations are similar.

They should fire him to get a fresh start. I also think that Kaler and Coyle should be gone soon too.

Top Bottom