What do you predict Coyle will do with Tracy Claeys for next season? Keep or fire him

What do you predict Coyle will do with Tracy Claeys for next season? Keep or fire him

• I think Coyle will KEEP Claeys for next season

Votes: 49 59.8%
  • I think Coyle will FIRE Claeys before next season

Votes: 33 40.2%

• Total voters

Stan

Reaction score
We've had plenty of threads asking what you think Coyle "should" do, but what do you think Coyle "WILL" do with Tracy Claeys?

Do we really need this poll? We have a team of 100 players preparing for a bowl game and trying their best to represent Minnesota. We have recruits considering spending the next 4-5 years of their lives playing for the U. Seniors will be playing their final game for us. And Stan comes out with a stupid poll asking random posters if TC will be fired. 99.9% of the time I could care less what thread someone wants to start, but this is one of the worst I've seen.

I think we win tomorrow, and at the end of the day, I don't see us firing a coach after going 9-4 with a bowl win. So I think Coyle stands pat.

Do we really need this poll? We have a team of 100 players preparing for a bowl game and trying their best to represent Minnesota. We have recruits considering spending the next 4-5 years of their lives playing for the U. Seniors will be playing their final game for us. And Stan comes out with a stupid poll asking random posters if TC will be fired. 99.9% of the time I could care less what thread someone wants to start, but this is one of the worst I've seen.

Agreed. I'm concerned that Stan's poll will dissuade recruits from attending the U. Out of curiosity, how much of a factor will Stan's poll be compared to the rape train allegations?

I think they keep Claeys because there are no good options, give him another year and see how he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a decision to fire is made, it will likely come from the pinnacle and not from Coyle.

Agreed. I'm concerned that Stan's poll will dissuade recruits from attending the U. Out of curiosity, how much of a factor will Stan's poll be compared to the rape train allegations?

The players involved have been expelled or suspended. Most people are ready to move on and I doubt it plays much of a role. What would matter now is firing and/or speculation about firing the coaching staff.

If you made me put my money down, I'd say he stays. And if this is the case I say Claeys' chance of making it through next season is about 5%. Making it to 2018, 1%.

3 million buyout this year, 250k next year. I think Coyle's plan all along was to keep Claeys through next season then let him go.

3 million buyout this year, 250k next year. I think Coyle's plan all along was to keep Claeys through next season then let him go.

That's interesting. Saw many times how the buyout this year will be $500,000 not $3,000,000.

"The school gave him a prove-it contract: Three years at $1.3 million per year with a $100,000 raise each year, and a tiny buyout of just $250,000 for each year remaining on the contract. For comparison’s sake, it would cost Arizona State more than $14 million to fire coach Todd Graham."

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/spor...ys-thrives-first-year-gophers-coach/95834164/\

Those close to the program wonder if Claeys will survive this. After all, it’s not as if he had a great deal of existing capital with the school’s administration, including new AD Mark Coyle. When Claeys was hired as Jerry Kill’s full-time replacement last fall, he netted just a two-year deal with a modest $500,000 buyout. That isn’t exactly job security. - CBS Sports

That's interesting. Saw many times how the buyout this year will be $500,000 not $3,000,000.

"The school gave him a prove-it contract: Three years at $1.3 million per year with a $100,000 raise each year, and a tiny buyout of just $250,000 for each year remaining on the contract. For comparison’s sake, it would cost Arizona State more than $14 million to fire coach Todd Graham."

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/spor...ys-thrives-first-year-gophers-coach/95834164/
I believe the $3M figure includes all the assistants.

I believe the $3M figure includes all the assistants.

Correct. After next season the assistant coaches contracts expire, and Claeys will have only 1 year left for a buyout of 250k.

I think it's simple.
Win the bowl game- stay
Lose the bowl game- gone

More and more I think Coyle is a spineless weasel. In the end, he will do whatever he decides is the most popular option.

FWIW, the Gopher Radio network had a bowl preview show today (Monday). Coyle was on the show, and they avoided any direct talk about the suspended players. About all Coyle said was they need to communicate more effectively, and this needs to be a learning experience. If you didn't know the background, you would never have been able to tell the seriousness of the matter.

Coyle did talk about how "historic" it would be for the team to win 9 games.

I understand the Gophers are underdogs in this game. My gut tells me that if the Gophs keep it close, or manage to Win, Coyle doesn't have the guts to fire Claeys. If they suffer a blowout of biblical proportions, maybe then Coyle will think he has the cover to let Claeys go.

Everything points to Coyle keeping him. He knew an underage recruit was involved long ago. Cost more to can him and staff vs the drop off in ticket sales. Gophers about to lose 3rd of 4th game and next year the losing will continue.

Yes, most people who predicted he would be fired after the WI game have adopted this narrative now.

If Coyle fires Claeys because we lose a bowl game to a comparable team while we are without 3 of our top 4 CBs, he will be an even worse AD than I thought, which shouldn't even be possible.

If Coyle fires Claeys because we lose a bowl game to a comparable team while we are without 3 of our top 4 CBs, he will be an even worse AD than I thought, which shouldn't even be possible.

If they do fire Claeys it has nothing to do with the bowl game.

All this talk, does it even matter? The Gophers will be irrelevant next year. Interest will be negligible.

All this talk, does it even matter? The Gophers will be irrelevant next year. Interest will be negligible.

This is a Gopher football message board. Sorry. You must have taken a wrong turn somewhere near hobbylobby.com.

Some Day...Maybe;1304634[I said:
]All this talk, does it even matter? The Gophers will be irrelevant next year. Interest will be negligible.

[/I]Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a strange thing to type. My interest will be down because the team will lose a lot of talent as a result of this, but I am sure that is not what you meant. What kind of fan are you? Not much of one I am sure.

I am certain that Kaler and Coyle decided to fire Claeys the day after the boycott meeting in the Football Complex, and what happens in the Holiday Bowl now has no bearing on anything.. The only reason they held off was to deep the players in line to ensure they would play the Bowl Game and not create trouble with Jim Delaney.

Claeys is not the real story here, the real story is about the weak leadership, and weasel like behavior of Kaler and Coyle. The lack of any PR above the bare minimum from Gopher Marketing as noted in a different threat is very telling. The body language of Kaler as he sat next to Claeys at the luncheon today says it all.

Unless the Regents are not with them, they are going to fire Claeys before Thursday morning, win or lose. I think this is about a 95 percent done deal, unless the someone other than Kaler I (or his boy Coyle)is calling this.

If Coyle decides to fire Claeys, then Kaler needs to fire Coyle, who in turn should be fired by the BOR.

Clean house.

There is utter failure of leadership down the chain. The foibles of Kaler and Coyle have been well expressed in GH.

IMHO, Claeys lost control of the discipline of the younger players. Denigration and sexual harassment of women have no place anywhere.

If you believe in redemption, then maybe Claeys should not be fired but instead be suspended for a couple of games. He is a good coach, and maybe everyone from Kaler down to Claeys learned some valuable lessons.

The situation is precarious at best that nothing changes.

The die has been cast.

I think it's simple.
Win the bowl game- stay
Lose the bowl game- gone
I think you're naive if you don't think they have already decided.

I think he stays, but if they're going to let him go, they probably decided a week ago

Yes, most people who predicted he would be fired after the WI game have adopted this narrative now.

Who predicted he would be fired after the Wisconsin game?
When the team beat Purdue to go to 7-2 he was definitely coming back barring 3 straight blowout losses IMO

Top Bottom