What do we know about Penn State?

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
I was just perusing the Penn State board https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/board/penn-state-nittany-lions-message-board-forum-18/ and noticed that they don't know anything about the Gophers, and they don't care that they don't know. Their expectations are based almost completely on preconceptions.

I don't want to be like that. I want to know some things about Penn State going into this matchup.

I know that their strength is their defense, specifically their run defense. I think that they lead the nation in defensive yards per carry. Their DL and their linebackers are tough. Their offense, though fast and athletic, haven't been great achievers. Their O-line coach is Matt Limegrover, who we remember from the Kill regime. Penn State recruits at a high level, though not as high as OSU, so their roster is stocked with four-star players, with a sprinkling of 5-stars for sparkle.

Somebody with a better football mind, add depth here. Tell us how PSU plays and what to expect come game time.

Penn State Scouting report from the MSU game:

Here is a scouting report of Penn State:

Penn State Boasts RB Options

Penn State's roster features a wealthy amount of stat producing RB's. So far this year, they've utilized four different RB options with overwhelming success. This includes freshman Noah Cain, freshman Devyn Ford, sophomore Ricky Slade, and junior Journey Brown.

Here is a stat breakdown for each RB per ESPN:

Noah Cain: 62 Carries, 329 Yards, Six Touchdowns

Journey Brown: 39 Carries, 252 Yards, Three Touchdowns

Devyn Ford: 31 Carries, 217 Yards, Two Touchdowns

Ricky Slade: 31 Carries, 107 Yards, Two Touchdowns

Safe to say, the Penn State RB core is incredibly impressive.

Penn State's Offense Is Dangerous

It is official, Penn State found their guy in QB Sean Clifford. He is a special talent. So far this year, Clifford has tallied up 1,742 yards, 16 touchdowns, with only two interceptions. That is rather impressive, to say the least. Clifford boasts both power and accuracy, which makes him a formidable threat.

Keep in mind, Penn State has excellent skilled position players too. Now, there is one player that stands out, but, their skilled position core is well-rounded. WR KJ Hamler is that standout player. He is responsible for 563 total yards and seven touchdown catches on just 32 receptions total. That is ridiculously efficient. Hamler runs crisp routes and generates yards after the catch.

Solid Defense

Penn State's defense is solid but not as formidable. Keep in mind, Penn State's defense has yet to face Ohio State or Indiana.

Penn State's defensive standouts include CB's John Reid and Tariq Castro-Fields, Safety's Garrett Taylor and Lamont Wade, and LB Micah Parsons. Reid and Castro-Fields both lead the Nittany Lions with two interceptions on the year. Meanwhile, Taylor and Parsons lead the team in solo tackles with 24 and 22 respectively.

The Penn State defense is not impenetrable. Even Michigan managed to throw up 21 points.

Last edited:

Have not done a deep dive on Penn State but in regards to their offense they rely on big plays and have not been very good at running the ball at all. In Big Ten play they don't have any running backs in the top 10 for yards per game meaning nobody averages over 57 yards a game on the ground for them (in contrast the U has 2 guys on that list in Smith and Brooks).

Their calling card this year is the defense which has been really solid all year. Easily the most talented and well rounded team we have faced but I don't think they are unbeatable if we come out and play well.

Their defensive line is pretty light. Their DEs go 215 and 240, so they are probably pretty agile. Their starting DTs are 305 and 285, once again, pretty light and pretty agile.

So how will our Bigs match up against this line? Probably similar to the SDSU defensive line but with more talent. Hopefully our O-line has learned how to deal with quickness.

I was just perusing the Penn State board https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/board/penn-state-nittany-lions-message-board-forum-18/ and noticed that they don't know anything about the Gophers, and they don't care that they don't know. Their expectations are based almost completely on preconceptions.

If you have been on your boards I'm guessing you have also noted they have also been here and claim our fan base to be "delusional" about this game because there is even one guy over here thinking it will be a 17 point win for the Gophers. Plus talk here about the playoff, conference championship, etc.

If you have been on your boards I'm guessing you have also noted they have also been here and claim our fan base to be "delusional" about this game because there is even one guy over here thinking it will be a 17 point win for the Gophers. Plus talk here about the playoff, conference championship, etc.

They could be right.

Keys to game:

1. Stop deep ball to KJ Hamler. If he takes the top off repeatedly, we can't stop the run and are in trouble. He's their perimeter difference maker.
2. They feature their TE prominently in the seam and flexed out. Freiermuth will need to be accounted for.
3. I'm less worried about their run game. Average 3 YPC vs MSU, 3.5 vs Michigan, and 3.3 vs Iowa. Their passing game stirs the offensive pot
4. On defense, their D line has been impressive. Huge game for our OL to try protect as well as open holes

I missed the "delusional" comment, or any remarks about Gopherhole over there. What I have seen is that they think the Gophers have never seen speed or talent before. Our offensive line is fat and stationary and they're going to feast on it. We won't be able to run because our line sucks and our RBs are average. Our receivers are above average, but since they'll stop the run easily, they can send help to the DBs allowing them to defend our desperate attempts to pass. On defense we have no studs, nothing special really. We've only played bad teams, and everybody knew from before the season that we'd be 8-0 at this point, because we had such an obviously easy schedule. I'm paraphrasing and leaving out a couple of voices of reason, but that's the gist of it.

Keys to game:

1. Stop deep ball to KJ Hamler. If he takes the top off repeatedly, we can't stop the run and are in trouble. He's their perimeter difference maker.
2. They feature their TE prominently in the seam and flexed out. Freiermuth will need to be accounted for.
3. I'm less worried about their run game. Average 3 YPC vs MSU, 3.5 vs Michigan, and 3.3 vs Iowa. Their passing game stirs the offensive pot
4. On defense, their D line has been impressive. Huge game for our OL to try protect as well as open holes

If history is any indicator, it's PSU that should be worried about his ankles/knees by the second quarter (see Rondale Moore and Wan'dale Robinson)

Undersized star players haven't fared well against us health wise this year

I missed the "delusional" comment, or any remarks about Gopherhole over there.

Here is the direct quote: "By the way the posters in the Minnesota message board are highly confident.. borderline delusional. I never post on others teams board before a game, but can’t look away. They are talking playoffs and national championship. One guy thinks they will win by 17 plus. Outrageous confidence over there."

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threa...ta-tcf-stadium-nov-9th-noon-est.250952/page-3

Keys to game:

Yes, We will need the TE's to help the tackles. This may present opportunities for our TE's to get involved in the passing game.

I've been hearing a lot about Hamler this year. Statistically he seems to fall between Johnson and Bateman.

Johnson - 43 catches - 626 yards - 14.6 ypc - 6 TDs
Hamler - 37 catches - 620 yards - 16.8 ypc - 8 TDs
Bateman - 31 catches - 644 yards - 20.8 ypc - 7 TDs

Hamler is obviously an elite WR. What makes him special?

Went through many posts on the listed PSU board and overall found them mostly fair in their assessment (“they haven’t played anyone” etc.). Lots of talk on SP+ rankings - which for lack of any good common opponents may be the best comparison. You always have a couple cocky people talking smack, but so do we. My biggest surprise was that many of them were more concerned about the Indiana game at Happy Valley the following week (“classic trap game, Indiana not that bad, looking ahead to OSU”)

For what it is worth here is the two teams B1G scores

PSU 59 @MD 0 MN 38 @PUR 31
PSU 35 PUR 7 MN 40 ILL 17
PSU 17 @Iowa 12 MN 34 NEB 7
PSU 28 MICH 21 MN 42 @RUT 7
PSU 28 @ MSU 7 MN 52 MD 10

PSU offense 33.4 MN Offense 41.2
PSU defense 9.4 MN defense 14.4
difference +24 +26.4

Both teams had little problems with Purdue and Maryland. Although the final scores are better for PSU.
Penn State has played 3 of the best defenses in the B1G and Minnesota has played Rutgers, Illinois and Nebraska.

These scoring stats say Penn State should be favored, but not by much more than a score. I'd say 3-7 points with Minnesota having the home field.

Penn State has had one dogfight in Iowa and one hold on for dear life vs. Michigan.

Minnesota has had a hold on game against Purdue and three non-conference fights for their lives.

So here is my assessment:

Offense favorite: Minnesota
Defensive favorite: Penn State
Special Teams: Penn State
In-game coaching: Penn State
Karma: Minnesota (like Ped-U would ever get the Karma column)

I've been hearing a lot about Hamler this year. Statistically he seems to fall between Johnson and Bateman.

Johnson - 43 catches - 626 yards - 14.6 ypc - 6 TDs
Hamler - 37 catches - 620 yards - 16.8 ypc - 8 TDs
Bateman - 31 catches - 644 yards - 20.8 ypc - 7 TDs

Hamler is obviously an elite WR. What makes him special?

One, he’s doing it alone (Bateman and Johnson get to play off each other). He is their guy who frees up everyone else and also functions as the deep threat to take the top off to open up the midrange. He seems to be good for 1-2 game breaker type plays/big gains which changes the defensive dynamic. He’s similar to Rondale Moore in that Moore also has to do it himself

I haven't seen all of his TDs, but Hamler strikes me as more of a YAC guy, than a take the top off guy. Same with Moore. Very shifty and breaks tackles.

I haven't seen all of his TDs, but Hamler strikes me as more of a YAC guy, than a take the top off guy. Same with Moore. Very shifty and breaks tackles.

go watch his TD catches vs Michigan. or some of the purdue ones. Agree he's also very shifty, but the guy is a burner. His catch against OSU where he just blows by the safety after the catch also shows his wheels.

Last edited:

go watch his TD catches vs Michigan. or some of the purdue ones. Agree he's also very shifty, but the guy is a burner. His catch against OSU where he just blows by the safety after the catch also shows his wheels.

Not saying he's not fast. I rewatched the highlights for Michigan, one was a 20 yd TD and the bomb was probably more of a double move, the DB had totally given up.

So with Hamler being the main WR, how do we go about coverage? They have that TE that seems pretty solid too. Do we put Coney on Hamler and rely on Winfield as solid backup, or do we have to double team every play? Who’s our fastest DB and do we have a guy we trust playing 1 on 1 with him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So with Hamler being the main WR, how do we go about coverage? They have that TE that seems pretty solid too. Do we put Coney on Hamler and rely on Winfield as solid backup, or do we have to double team every play? Who’s our fastest DB and do we have a guy we trust playing 1 on 1 with him?

PFF would say we should put Durr on him. Since he's our best corner. You try and roll a safety his way, but my recollection is Penn St runs a lot of motion with him to avoid those coverages. Penn St's offense is a lot like ours. They try and establish the run and feed off it to pass. Play action is killer. So the more one dimensional we can make them the better. And obviously same for them.

Here is the direct quote: "By the way the posters in the Minnesota message board are highly confident.. borderline delusional. I never post on others teams board before a game, but can’t look away. They are talking playoffs and national championship. One guy thinks they will win by 17 plus. Outrageous confidence over there."

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threa...ta-tcf-stadium-nov-9th-noon-est.250952/page-3

That's awesome!

Win by seventeen!!!???

Who would post such crap?

What we know about Penn St. aside from 3 or 4 posters in their forum, they think we are trash and they will win easily.

PFF would say we should put Durr on him. Since he's our best corner. You try and roll a safety his way, but my recollection is Penn St runs a lot of motion with him to avoid those coverages. Penn St's offense is a lot like ours. They try and establish the run and feed off it to pass. Play action is killer. So the more one dimensional we can make them the better. And obviously same for them.

Alright, well analyzing their rushing stats nothing seems to stand out to me as a run game that’s been great. So if they’re using the run game to open up the pass game, I’m curious as to how exactly. I see that their RB Cain had two 100 yard games in a row, one against Iowa and one against Purdue. Other than that, in Big Ten play the highest rushing yards I see is 53 I believe? Something’s telling me, and I’d have to go back and watch the games they’ve played, but my gut’s telling me they’re winning the field position battle in these games. Not having to put together a lot of 75+ yard drives. Their defense is probably keeping offenses contained, making them go 3 and out, and getting the ball around their own 35+ yard line off of the punt. I’ve got a lot of analyzing to do, but if we could get our drives moving beyond the first set of downs, even if we have to punt from our 50, it sounds like we might be able to stop their offense a little better.

What do we know about Penn State? LawnBoyz. Their LawnBoyz running crew has been solid but not spectacular statistically but that probably has a bit to do with facing some tough defenses. Theirs is probably a bit better than the raw numbers show and ours a bit worse when we factor in competition.

On offense I would argue our skill players at RB and WR are equal or better and our QB has been playing lights out when the chips are down. He’s that rare talent that seemingly plays better under extreme duress. Our ace in the hole.

Defensively they are really, really talented. Full stop. This will be a tough game and we will be fortunate to have a few things go our way, and surely the coaches will have a few bullets they aren’t expecting. This is the game they will pull out all the stops. Maybe some creative misdirection and motion, maybe getting the tight ends involved more and on and on.

This is one of those games we probably shouldn’t win on paper but the odds are actually closer to a coin flip than PSU would like to believe. That said, it will be elation and a rush the field moment if PJF and his boat crew pull it out.

They are going to focus 100% on stopping our running game and putting us behind the chains. Tanner's decision making is going to have to be elite.

What we know is that they had a lack of institutional control and somehow skated because everyone felt bad for the current student athletes and no one gave a damn about the victims.

Top Bottom