What did they do at Kentucky to get Tubby to curl up into the fetal position?

What happened to Tubby at Kentucky is very similar to what we saw at Texas Tech after the last football season. Tubby knew that the writing was on the wall at Kentucky and he made a preemptive move to leave before he got fired. Tuberville knew that he wasn't going to have an 8-4 or 9-3 team this coming year and he got out of dodge before he got canned. My hope is we make a run to the sweet 16 or elite 8 (both doable if the team plays to their potential and gets decent shooting) and then let the chips fall. Maybe Tubby gets an offer from another school, maybe he stays and has to make some staff changes and hopefully adapts his coaching a bit, and maybe we get one or two of the 2014 recruits. And just maybe we get some plans on the board for a practice facility, which is a must, if you think it isn't, your head is in the sand.

That's a fair point. But I'm not expecting Tubby to start contending for national titles overnight, I just expect him to adapt to the changing game.

Therein lies the rub with Tubby. He won't adapt. If there's one thing we've seen over the past six years, it's that he's completely inflexible. He's stubborn and is willing to lose lots of games even if his approach doesn't work very well. As such, there's no reason not to expect more lower division finishes and an offense that reminds people of 1940s basketball in its efficiency.

Agree. I think Don Lucia makes a good example of this. We missed the tournament three years ago with the hockey team. I was ready to cut bait. He didn't seem willing to change to a world where more players were leaving college early to the pros. He kept recruiting those 1 or 2 year stars and losing them to NHL clubs, and we suffered from years with no veteran leadership. He also would recruit an entire depth chart full of forwards who were goal scorers and had no role players.

Now, a few years later, he has managed to change his ways, despite having won national championships with his old ways, and he has us with back to back conference titles (one of them shared).

Point is, Tubby and Don make for a good comparison. They were both successful with the way the game used to be and won national titles, their games both changed, and they both wet the bed enough for me to want them fired. However, the Don changed and now I am having a great time in games at Mariucci. I am certainly more pleased that Lucia changed and started winning that I would have been if he had been fired when I wanted. What I really want is for Tubby to change his game to make me want him to stay, and I am more than ready to change my mind if Tubby can present me with new facts about his performance here.

Nicely said Bleedsmaroonandgold with the Lucia reference! I couldn't agree more!

Tubby is in the Dance, Kentucky isn't. God is Great, Beer is Good, People are Crazy.

Top Bottom