what are your favorite pg-rated movies

KD6-3.7

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
my son is nearing 4 years old and he loves dinosaurs. he watched an episode of dino dan that was a take off of ghostbusters and it became his favorite episode.

i spoke to my wife about letting him watch the original ghostbusters with us. she was a bit worried, but i believe that the idea of being scared is good for a young person's (particularly a young boy's) development.

so we watched it and he loved it. he did talk about kitties before bed (for some reason the gargoyles that the characters called dogs, my son related to kitties). but he didnt have nightmares and the first thing he wanted to do the next morning was watch ghostbusters, so we watched ghostbusters 2. he is far more interested in the original. he loved the smile on the face of the stay-pufft marshmallow man.

i wondered if he would like other pg movies geared toward families, so we tried the goonies, but he lot interest pretty quickly.

so what are some of your favorite pg-rated movies?

First one that comes to mind is The Man from Snowy River.

Pixar releases consistently great movies. Obviously geared towards kids, but there's definitely enough there for adults to enjoy. Coco may just be the best movie ever made. They're all rated PG.

Our kids like Sandlot, though the jokes are a bit dated (play baseball like a girl, etc.) So we also watched League of Their Own, which they liked too.

Probably a bit young for a 4 year old, but The Princess Bride is of course, awesome. Can't wait to watch it with my boys when the time arrives.

For kids, I like Bugs Life, Mouse Hunt, Up, Minions.

I have always wondered if the movie companies could edit PG-13 or even some R movies, and make it a PG movie. A lot more families could watch those movies together. Picking movies can be tough if you have younger kids.

For kids, I like Bugs Life, Mouse Hunt, Up, Minions.

I have always wondered if the movie companies could edit PG-13 or even some R movies, and make it a PG movie. A lot more families could watch those movies together. Picking movies can be tough if you have younger kids.

There is a service called "Clear Play" available on some streaming services that allows parents to set up filters to screen out "objectionable" material. Don't know much about it. You might want to look into that.

I know at one point there were several companies that were offering edited versions of DVD's for a 'family' audience, but they ran into copyright issues because they were editing copyrighted material.

Cable networks sometimes edit movies down a rating for tv. So we'll often record a movie that's TV-PG that's otherwise PG-13. Jurassic Park for example. The tv version will cut scene when a guy's about to get eaten instead of showing him getting ripped apart.

Anything rated PG that was made before they added a PG-13 rating, you've got to be careful with. Temple of Doom is rated PG. Pretty sure my 5-year-old can't handle that.

I read an article once- can't remember where - but the gist of the article was that the major studios thought that G and PG ratings would actually hurt the box office on certain movies, because those were perceived as "kids" or "family" ratings, and teenagers or young adults would avoid them.

so, if the ratings board gave a movie a PG rating, some studios would add more content to at least get the PG-13 rating - like throwing in a couple of swear words or something like that.

One thing that gets me is that HD Net movies will blur out nudity on movies. Never quite understood why you can show people getting shot or blown up and that's fine, but a bare boob is somehow "dirty."

One thing that gets me is that HD Net movies will blur out nudity on movies. Never quite understood why you can show people getting shot or blown up and that's fine, but a bare boob is somehow "dirty."
Yeah, our tolerance (appetite?) for violence and gore is a bit unnerving.

I think the whole original Star Wars trilogy is PG. Before the 80s it gets a little sketchy, Indiana Jones and Gremlines kind of led to the PG-13 rating.
If we're looking for younger audiences, I'd say the first two Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies are good options. The Disney resurgence is always reliable, too. Aladdin, Lion King that was a good streak.
If we're talking more recently:
The Toy Story series
The Incredibles movies
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
The How To Train Your Dragon series
Big Hero 6
Coco
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
Zootopia
Frozen
Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2